Author Topic: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot  (Read 82885 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2019, 10:25:04 pm »
A favorite saying of mine:  In the 21st Century, many people have a device in their pockets that allows them access to the entire world's knowledge base.  What do they do with it?  Yell at each other over grammar and punctuation, and post cute videos of kittens (I approve of the kitten part).

LOL! yup

Buy em books and buy em books... What do they do? Eat the covers.
 :laugh:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2019, 11:57:53 pm »
LOL! yup

Buy em books and buy em books... What do they do? Eat the covers.
 :laugh:

Do kids even know what books are anymore?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2019, 12:03:40 am »
Yes! Papa and Grandma have lots of books.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2019, 12:03:51 am »

Mine do.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2019, 12:08:22 am »
I couldn’t kill another human and as for a robot, I’ve read Asimov.

Don’t think I could kill a robot either.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2019, 12:10:42 am »
Cherry 2000

Bender is my favorite robot, then Robbie the Robot, then the robot from The Jetsons.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2019, 12:16:51 am »
Mine do.
@Smokin Joe

Mine do, too. They still have covers.

I signed up for Kindle Unlimited last month. My grandson is an avid reader. As am I. Yes, I copped out. I've read a couple dozen books on my tablet since my layoff.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2019, 12:23:36 am »
@Smokin Joe

I signed up for Kindle Unlimited last month. My grandson is an avid reader. As am I. Yes, I copped out. I've read a couple dozen books on my tablet since my layoff.

I can't get into it. I like it because I can adjust the font, but I need the smell of the book, and turning the pages... And the light from computers tends to keep me awake.

I will admit to slacking off quite a bit since I started wearing reading glasses. My favorite venue for reading is in bed, usually upon one side or the other, which flatly does not work with glasses on.  :shrug:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2019, 12:26:14 am »
Bender is my favorite robot, then Robbie the Robot, then the robot from The Jetsons.

Rosie!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2019, 12:28:21 am »
I can't get into it. I like it because I can adjust the font, but I need the smell of the book, and turning the pages... And the light from computers tends to keep me awake.

I will admit to slacking off quite a bit since I started wearing reading glasses. My favorite venue for reading is in bed, usually upon one side or the other, which flatly does not work with glasses on.  :shrug:

Kindle books were meant for Kindles.  You would like e-paper.  I had one, and I miss it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2019, 12:35:53 am »

I bought a tablet 3 years ago. It is only in the last weeks I have been using it to read. I've gotten used to it. I read in bed mostly. Or on it. It is a Fire HD8 so the screen is about book page size. It has Blueshade so I can dim the screen. Plus I can read things like @Smokin Joe gave me links to. Posting to TBR with it sucks. Autocorrect.  It switched "looonnnggg" to "mockingbird" last try. WTH? So if I'm on TBR, it is on my desktop or laptop.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2019, 12:37:38 am »
Kindle books were meant for Kindles.  You would like e-paper.  I had one, and I miss it.

I dunno nuthin'
What little I have done, I have done with a droid tablet, and my lib is txt and pdf...  :shrug:
Might have a better experience if I followed the crowd, but it is the same as music - a TON of investment just to replace the library I already own. And I refuse to spend as much or more for electronic copy than it would cost me to buy a book used, having it tagged in a system that someone else controls...

NOPE. mp3's are stupid files that can be copied as much as needed and anywhere... Same would have to be true in books for me.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2019, 12:39:43 am »

The Kindle Paperwhite reader you can turn the light completely off.  You may consider trying it.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2019, 12:42:30 am »
I dunno nuthin'
What little I have done, I have done with a droid tablet, and my lib is txt and pdf...  :shrug:
Might have a better experience if I followed the crowd, but it is the same as music - a TON of investment just to replace the library I already own. And I refuse to spend as much or more for electronic copy than it would cost me to buy a book used, having it tagged in a system that someone else controls...

NOPE. mp3's are stupid files that can be copied as much as needed and anywhere... Same would have to be true in books for me.

That is another thing. Our town library is small. I've read about everything they have I wanted to read. They don't update it much.  My used bookstore closed down last year. Another one I found wants too much for their used books.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2019, 12:50:57 am »
I bought a tablet 3 years ago. It is only in the last weeks I have been using it to read. I've gotten used to it. I read in bed mostly. Or on it. It is a Fire HD8 so the screen is about book page size. It has Blueshade so I can dim the screen. Plus I can read things like @Smokin Joe gave me links to.

It's weird. My entire Biblical library has been converted to electronic - and it is vast. But that is research based, and done at a computer (desktop/laptop). I prefer it for research - I am not a verse based guy... I can plug in a couple words or a phrase into a search engine and voila! the verse I want is right there, not to mention all the relevant commentary, and depending upon the engine I use, will bring me every relevant thing from my entire library, not just the Bible... And I carry multiple Bibles in there too - so cross-referencing and comparison is fabulous.

Likewise coding and development...

But devotional reading, or pleasurable reading is still in the books. Largely because I don't do that sort of thing in front of a computer, and in fact do so to avoid the computer, which I am otherwise plugged into all the time.

It switched "looonnnggg" to "mockingbird" last try. WTH? So if I'm on TBR, it is on my desktop or laptop.

Yeah... Google Assistant does that crap to me all the time. She can't understand redneck.
I need an electronic assistant with two first names and a sweet Southern drawl.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2019, 12:54:08 am »
The Kindle Paperwhite reader you can turn the light completely off.  You may consider trying it.

Do you own your book copies? Are they downloadable and can I copy multiples, or is it DRM compliant? can I pull the file over to a computer and read it, or am I committed to the platform? That stuff matters. For backup, if for no other reason.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2019, 12:57:15 am »
That is another thing. Our town library is small. I've read about everything they have I wanted to read. They don't update it much.  My used bookstore closed down last year. Another one I found wants too much for their used books.

I am still good in that regard. I am using my father's account at the used book store, though he has been gone for near a decade. between his balance and my trade backs, I seldom have to pay much.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2019, 12:57:57 am »
It's weird. My entire Biblical library has been converted to electronic - and it is vast. But that is research based, and done at a computer (desktop/laptop). I prefer it for research - I am not a verse based guy... I can plug in a couple words or a phrase into a search engine and voila! the verse I want is right there, not to mention all the relevant commentary, and depending upon the engine I use, will bring me every relevant thing from my entire library, not just the Bible... And I carry multiple Bibles in there too - so cross-referencing and comparison is fabulous.

Likewise coding and development...

But devotional reading, or pleasurable reading is still in the books. Largely because I don't do that sort of thing in front of a computer, and in fact do so to avoid the computer, which I am otherwise plugged into all the time.

Yeah... Google Assistant does that crap to me all the time. She can't understand redneck.
I need an electronic assistant with two first names and a sweet Southern drawl.

One thing I do know. I'll never have Alexa, or the like, in my house.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2019, 01:08:11 am »
One thing I do know. I'll never have Alexa, or the like, in my house.

Me neither. Actually I tried Cortana out for a while (Microsoft, comes native in Win10), but it is fairly useless on the desktop. I mean, it will do sorta the same things as Google Assistant, but it is redundant and incompatible with GA... And I am using GA already.

But the phone is another thing. I can't see the dang thing, and my meat grabbers have trouble on them itty bitty screens... the only way I can use it well without having to haul out my glasses is to talk to it...

And I do - I am one of those guys with a bluetooth mike and speaker in my ear... The phone seldom leaves my pocket. I just poke the button in my ear and say

Hey google...
set an appointment
set a timer
set a reminder...
navigate to...
send a text
read incoming message
play some country music...
Call mom on her mobile

and etc.

I literally never set my schedule any other way anymore. I seldom call my common contacts any other way either. For all that, it is a remarkable tool.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2019, 01:26:26 am »
Virtual assistants are one thing.

https://medium.com/@tjajal/distinguishing-between-narrow-ai-general-ai-and-super-ai-a4bc44172e22?source=placement_card_footer_grid---------0-60

Distinguishing between Narrow AI, General AI and Super AI

As an aside, the Chinese had to send a couple of AI "chatbots" to a reeducation camp after they started spouting "Anti-government propaganda".

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2019, 01:35:28 am »
Do you own your book copies? Are they downloadable and can I copy multiples, or is it DRM compliant? can I pull the file over to a computer and read it, or am I committed to the platform? That stuff matters. For backup, if for no other reason.

The Kindle Reader app is free, so you can put that on any computer or device with internet access and read your books.  You can download your content, but I don't know if you can do something like put it on a memory stick and transfer it.  I want to say you can't, but I could be wrong.  I think you would have to download it on any device you might want to read it on.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2019, 01:47:38 am »
@Smokin Joe

I have a Kindle fire I take in the field with me. I can have a dozen books downloaded into it for the space of one. But, admittedly, I miss the smell, the feel, the texture of the paper, leaving nose prints to mark my place when I fall asleep...and if I ever go off the road or get caught by weather, I can't cook over a Kindle Fire.... :shrug:

Where the difference is really apparent, I have books back to the 1700s, and the feel and smell of those volumes is entirely different from the ones from the first half of the 20th century, and different yet from latter day paperbacks or hardcovers.

With my eyes changing, though, I like the scalability and back light of the screen.

>sigh< Time for new glasses, and better, brighter, reading lamps....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2019, 03:44:05 am »
The Kindle Reader app is free, so you can put that on any computer or device with internet access and read your books.  You can download your content, but I don't know if you can do something like put it on a memory stick and transfer it.  I want to say you can't, but I could be wrong.  I think you would have to download it on any device you might want to read it on.

I will give it another whirl... IIRC, the reason I backed off is because I had no back-up means other than their cloud... And I am not really sure, but it seems to me it had to have internet in order to work, also a reason to discard it. I want to wind up with a local and distribute-able library, not beholden to a network tat may or may not be there in 10 years.  :shrug:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2019, 03:50:44 am »
I will give it another whirl... IIRC, the reason I backed off is because I had no back-up means other than their cloud... And I am not really sure, but it seems to me it had to have internet in order to work, also a reason to discard it. I want to wind up with a local and distribute-able library, not beholden to a network tat may or may not be there in 10 years.  :shrug:

There are other sources besides Amazon for E-books.  I've read non-Amazon books on my Kindle Fire, and I had all my technical manuals (PDF) on it when I was working.  It could be Kindle is only finicky about Amazon sold publications?
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2019, 07:10:15 am »
There are other sources besides Amazon for E-books.  I've read non-Amazon books on my Kindle Fire, and I had all my technical manuals (PDF) on it when I was working.  It could be Kindle is only finicky about Amazon sold publications?

Yeah... Maybe like apple's goofy-a$$ itunes... way down in the settings you can tell it to save music as mp3, But if you don't know any better, it all comes down in DRM files (.aac)... Maybe I just didn't dig around enough in it...

Likely though, it will be a droid solution... I already have a droid phone and tablet, and know how to get them talking through my local Win LAN... So I can back em up to my media library already, which is access for every device I have. So the kindle app is how that will go...