Author Topic: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot  (Read 83016 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 06:35:10 pm »
Apparently you never had one run over a dog poopie.   :silly:

No, but mine has ran over cat poop (I found out that they will not use their boxes while the Roomba is running, due to fear of it, presumably). Luckily it was very dry at that point.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 06:38:32 pm »
No, but mine has ran over cat poop (I found out that they will not use their boxes while the Roomba is running, due to fear of it, presumably). Luckily it was very dry at that point.

It was more than luck:  It's proof you walk with G_d.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2019, 06:56:02 pm »

"They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot"

Obviously, a Roomba isn't a "sentient" version of a robot, but I will attest that they don't hold up well after 5 minutes with a baseball bat.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 07:06:23 pm »

"They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot"

Obviously, a Roomba isn't a "sentient" version of a robot, but I will attest that they don't hold up well after 5 minutes with a baseball bat.

Really?  They do great when left alone at home while being at work and they hit a pile of puppy poo.  Then they run and run and run like Bruce Jenner used to.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

• Technical
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2019, 07:07:46 pm »
Really?  They do great when left alone at home while being at work and they hit a pile of puppy poo.  Then they run and run and run like Bruce Jenner used to.

Supposedly iRobot is working on a robot that will stop once it detects any dampness whatsoever.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2019, 07:10:12 pm »
Supposedly iRobot is working on a robot that will stop once it detects any dampness whatsoever.

I think they have ones that speed up...
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2019, 07:24:51 pm »

I think there is also a wet-mop version.  I haven't checked out the iRobot web page in a long time.

Meanwhile, an anecdote:

https://www.facebook.com/914687145223202/photos/a.917487221609861.1073741829.914687145223202/1616054178419825/?type=3
I will NOT comply.

• Technical
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2019, 07:26:54 pm »
I think there is also a wet-mop version.  I haven't checked out the iRobot web page in a long time.

Meanwhile, an anecdote:

https://www.facebook.com/914687145223202/photos/a.917487221609861.1073741829.914687145223202/1616054178419825/?type=3

I have the Braava Jet. Thing is sweet, because I generally hate cleaning floors. It doesn't scrub floors, but it mops them good enough. Just put in a pad and take off for the day.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2019, 07:32:28 pm »
Do robot dogs dream of electric sheep?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2019, 07:36:19 pm »

Meanwhile, an anecdote:

I have the wet mop version from about 10 years ago.  Worked fairly well on tile floors, has a clean water tank and a dirty water tank. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2019, 07:52:24 pm »
Do robot dogs dream of electric sheep?

One of my favorite books by Mr. Dick.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2019, 08:00:09 pm »
Just saw this.  There must be a tongue firmly planted in your cheek...that sort of thing doesn't make anybody smarter, just better educated.  We have Colleges graduating educated nitwits all over the country, proving "education" != "intelligence."

A favorite saying of mine:  In the 21st Century, many people have a device in their pockets that allows them access to the entire world's knowledge base.  What do they do with it?  Yell at each other over grammar and punctuation, and post cute videos of kittens (I approve of the kitten part).
I think there is a fundamental difference between information and knowledge. We have lots of information (some of it even true), knowledge is lagging, and wisdom is still on the back stretch.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2019, 08:18:45 pm »
I think there is a fundamental difference between information and knowledge. We have lots of information (some of it even true), knowledge is lagging, and wisdom is still on the back stretch.

Bueno!  Absolutely correct, as usual.
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2019, 08:24:31 pm »

It's the same with education.  Just because you have managed to adsorb (I chose that word carefully) some information in no way makes you educated   Only when you have learned how to apply that information to the business of living on this planet will you be educated.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2019, 08:26:45 pm »
It's the same with education.  Just because you have managed to adsorb (I chose that word carefully) some information in no way makes you educated   Only when you have learned how to apply that information to the business of living on this planet will you be educated.
You memorize a lot without ever understanding it. It's the understanding that leads to wisdom, not just that things do/do not work, but how and why.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2019, 08:42:52 pm »
Speaking of knowledge, there is something a very large part of the population just won't get.  If some sort of augmentation comes out, like having a neural net or chip implanted in your brain that allows your brain to process information better, or faster,  the vast majority will only get the tech level they can afford. Get it?

There is another misnomer. Average intelligence is merely something they came up with to help people feel about themselves. My observation has been either you have it, or you don't. And no machine will be able to change that.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2019, 08:44:34 pm »

And when you apply that education to extend knowledge, that's wisdom, thus closing the loop of information vs education vs wisdom.

Presto!
I will NOT comply.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2019, 08:44:59 pm »
You memorize a lot without ever understanding it. It's the understanding that leads to wisdom, not just that things do/do not work, but how and why.

The moment you touch a hot stove and you know why you were told to never touch a hot stove.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2019, 08:46:47 pm »
Speaking of knowledge, there is something a very large part of the population just won't get.  If some sort of augmentation comes out, like having a neural net or chip implanted in your brain that allows your brain to process information better, or faster,  the vast majority will only get the tech level they can afford. Get it?

An astute observation, my friend.
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2019, 09:06:55 pm »

There is another misnomer. Average intelligence is merely something they came up with to help people feel about themselves. My observation has been either you have it, or you don't. And no machine will be able to change that.

:amen: @bigheadfred.   That is what I have observed as well.

Some,  nay most, people simply cannot understand how a few among us can tell them what the net results of their efforts will be far in advance of them being known.  We have touched on how that can be in the last few posts here.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2019, 09:08:51 pm »
The moment you touch a hot stove and you know why you were told to never touch a hot stove.

And you will discriminate against touching hot stoves forever after.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2019, 09:14:08 pm »

Not me!  Nope.  I believe in Continuing Education!  (OWWWW!)
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2019, 09:17:46 pm »
No, but I learned to hold my hand an inch or so away to feel for heat. (Taught the grandkids that, too).

It has saved a lot of howling and time holding little hands under cold water, and probably half a gallon of tea tree oil.

They don't have to get hurt to get Papa time, and they know it.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2019, 09:18:27 pm »
Not me!  Nope.  I believe in Continuing Education!  (OWWWW!)

LOL!   wink777

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2019, 09:24:58 pm »