Author Topic: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot  (Read 82786 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot
« Reply #675 on: July 30, 2019, 12:04:31 am »
Both are happening now. They were forecasting the Singularity for about the year 2050. Some are saying much earlier.

A couple of those earlier articles I posted. If they can keep the hardware up to the software they will hit it earlier than the Futurists and other experts in the field have predicted.

SO VERY FOOLISH.  **nononono*

As in the days of Noah...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #676 on: July 30, 2019, 12:06:43 am »
The Transhuman Transition – Lotus Eaters vs World Eaters

That is probably right.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #677 on: July 30, 2019, 12:07:47 am »
I think the problems will arise long before any genes are messed with.  AI threatens to create dependencies, like my cell phone has.  It remembers every number that's called me.  I used to memorize or write down phone numbers, now sometimes I can't remember my own.  I had the cell for better than 20 years before I memorized its number...mainly because I never gave it out to anybody.

That's right - I used to easy carry 200 numbers in my head... Now I can't even remember my own cell number - same as you. I don't do math in my head anymore - too easy to let Giggles do it.

Especially since I went SmartPhone, sometime last year. It is really a little frightening how quickly little Miss Googlepants took over my secretarial duties. Heck, for a while there, I had my Near-missus tellin Miss Googlepants how my calendar needed added to - Just like a real secretary, she handles it all.
Miss Googlepants... I call her Giggles... Say 'Hey Giggles" it works.

Just last night I asked Giggles to remind me to lock the dang gate. When the HECK have I ever needed a reminder to lock a gate? I am a cowboy... Gates are EVERYTHING, dang it.

And what's really a bother: When lil' Giggles reminded me... I THANKED her. and what's even worse than that... I intrinsically just called IT 'her'  **nononono*

I still get calls on it asking me if I want to extend my auto's warranty.  :shrug:  When I'm sporting, I ask them if they can extend my car's 10-year warranty on my HEV battery for the hybrid drive.  {click!}

Hehe... yeah... I tell em sure... and then tell em it's a 78 chevy 1/2 T 4x.... [click]

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #678 on: July 30, 2019, 12:11:39 am »
That is probably right.

Unfortunately. At least for people like me. I refuse to be either one.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #679 on: July 30, 2019, 12:14:01 am »
I think the problems will arise long before any genes are messed with.  AI threatens to create dependencies, like my cell phone has.  It remembers every number that's called me.  I used to memorize or write down phone numbers, now sometimes I can't remember my own.  I had the cell for better than 20 years before I memorized its number...mainly because I never gave it out to anybody.

I still get calls on it asking me if I want to extend my auto's warranty.  :shrug:  When I'm sporting, I ask them if they can extend my car's 10-year warranty on my HEV battery for the hybrid drive.  {click!}

Do the first six numbers (incl area code) on the caller id match the first six of your cell? 

That's the range I'm seeing now.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 12:20:11 am by InHeavenThereIsNoBeer »
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #680 on: July 30, 2019, 12:16:38 am »
Larry Niven’s Droud users, or wireheads.  People with an implant that electrically stimulates the brains pleasure centers.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #681 on: July 30, 2019, 12:16:48 am »
Unfortunately. At least for people like me. I refuse to be either one.

Me too - though I have elected a different path... I suppress my luddite tendencies to embrace the devil.
It is going to be so pervasive that I am going to need to be able to understand it. To hack it.

Ghost in the machine... Luddite IRL.  :seeya:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #682 on: July 30, 2019, 12:16:56 am »
I have a notecard in my lunchbox with my home phone number on it. But hey, I got enough account numbers right to deposit my paycheck today.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #683 on: July 30, 2019, 12:22:11 am »
Do the first six numbers (incl area code) on the caller id match the first six of your cell? 

That's the range I'm seeing now.

Yes! Repeatedly.  And, the people at that number have no idea that their number was spoofed.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #684 on: July 30, 2019, 12:22:12 am »
Larry Niven’s Droud users, or wireheads.  People with an implant that electrically stimulates the brains pleasure centers.

Imagine that, writ large, with hackers figuring out how to mess with it over the net...

Or worse than that, business and government entities tickling your fancy... But only when you do what they want... Holy crap, that's crazy.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #685 on: July 30, 2019, 12:23:14 am »
Me too - though I have elected a different path... I suppress my luddite tendencies to embrace the devil.
It is going to be so pervasive that I am going to need to be able to understand it. To hack it.

Ghost in the machine... Luddite IRL.  :seeya:

I suppress mine. I understand it enough to reject it. And when the time comes I'll switch from hammer to hack it. To death.

In a way, a self-driving car would be a great gift compared to the number of people who have a driver's license but shouldn't.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #686 on: July 30, 2019, 12:27:14 am »
Imagine that, writ large, with hackers figuring out how to mess with it over the net...

Or worse than that, business and government entities tickling your fancy... But only when you do what they want... Holy crap, that's crazy.

The good cyber dystopian literature has plenty of examples.  I’ll try to remember some of the authors when I get home. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #687 on: July 30, 2019, 12:37:55 am »
I suppress mine. I understand it enough to reject it. And when the time comes I'll switch from hammer to hack it. To death..

I am almost ready. When the time comes, I will just walk off.
20 acres in a corporate trust with enough $$ to pay the taxes indefinitely.
Hanging valley, almost inaccessible. Hardly needs fencing.
Probably snow machine in the winter, barely 4x4 in the summer. Gotta wade a creek in a single bottleneck to get into it. Totally off-grid. That's where my castle effort will be, with a few million acres right out the back door if I have to go hunter/gatherer.

Currently has a small underground hooch, but give me a year or two and it will get much better.

For now, a great place to find some peace...
When the time comes,
SEEYA.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #688 on: July 30, 2019, 12:55:12 am »

@Bill Cipher

David Brin==author

The Postman

THE TRANSPARENT SOCIETY: Will Technology Force Us to Choose Between Privacy and Freedom?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #689 on: July 30, 2019, 12:56:19 am »
That's right - I used to easy carry 200 numbers in my head... Now I can't even remember my own cell number - same as you. I don't do math in my head anymore - too easy to let Giggles do it.

Especially since I went SmartPhone, sometime last year. It is really a little frightening how quickly little Miss Googlepants took over my secretarial duties. Heck, for a while there, I had my Near-missus tellin Miss Googlepants how my calendar needed added to - Just like a real secretary, she handles it all.

Just last night I asked Giggles to remind me to lock the dang gate. When the HECK have I ever needed a reminder to lock a gate? I am a cowboy... Gates are EVERYTHING, dang it.

And what's really a bother: When lil' Giggles reminded me... I THANKED her. and what's even worse than that... I intrinsically just called IT 'her'  **nononono*

Hehe... yeah... I tell em sure... and then tell em it's a 78 chevy 1/2 T 4x.... [click]

LOL.  You have a 47 year old truck, I have a 300V battery that drives 'em nutz,  It's the size of where a small sub-trunk would go.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #690 on: July 30, 2019, 01:01:26 am »
 By  Jessica Miley
March 25th, 2019

Top 9 Cybernetic Upgrades Everyone Will Want

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=15&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj3vMvAt9vjAhUSs54KHbDwA1MQFjAOegQICRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Finterestingengineering.com%2Ftop-9-cybernetic-upgrades-everyone-will-want&usg=AOvVaw0O_uZTU05Pdbv2gmoi8RxD

The term ‘cybernetics’ may mean many different things to different people. While the idea has been around its formal definition and application has shifted slightly in recent decades.

Back in 1948, Norbert Wiener defined cybernetics as "the scientific study of control and communication in the animal and the machine.” More recently cybernetics can conjure up images and ideas about the way humans and machines interact and control each other.

What does this complicated word mean to you?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #691 on: July 30, 2019, 01:02:00 am »
LOL.  You have a 47 year old truck, I have a 300V battery that drives 'em nutz,  It's the size of where a small sub-trunk would go.

Yeah I know.. Folks up here get them batteries out of electric cars and hybrids for storage on off-grid solar systems. I have seen a few.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #692 on: July 30, 2019, 01:06:34 am »
More recently cybernetics can conjure up images and ideas about the way humans and machines interact and control each other.

:terror:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #694 on: July 30, 2019, 01:19:34 am »
Is artificial consciousness the solution to AI?

https://lifeboat.com/blog/2019/06/is-artificial-consciousness-the-solution-to-ai

by Peter Cawdron  Jun 24, 2019

The problem is we’ve developed artificial stupidity. Our best AI lacks actual intelligence. The most complex machine learning algorithm we’ve developed has no conscious awareness of what it’s doing.

Dumb AI is a serious problem with serious consequences for humanity.

Ok. Maybe self-driving cars will only take you to the scene of your accident...

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 01:20:58 am by bigheadfred »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #695 on: July 30, 2019, 02:12:19 am »
I think the problems will arise long before any genes are messed with.  AI threatens to create dependencies, like my cell phone has. 

@Cyberchick

Was killing time in a McDonalds today reading a book while waiting for a dr appointment. 4 guys probably under 25 came in and sat near me that looked like some sort of construction workers. I looked around again several minutes later,and all 4 of them had their cell phones out,punching buttons on the keyboards. Not saying a word to each other,and completely oblivious to everything going on around them. These guys are already lost in the world of cyber addiction.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Bill Cipher

« Reply #696 on: July 30, 2019, 02:16:56 am »

Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.  Not necessarily a mind-hack, but an interesting idea nonetheless. 

Then there are the cyber dystopias of William Gibson. 

It’s been years since I read any of them; now I’m dying to pick one up again.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #697 on: July 30, 2019, 02:31:02 am »
Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.  Not necessarily a mind-hack, but an interesting idea nonetheless. 

Thanks, I will pick em up next time I am at the bookstore...
Not really my bag - I tend toward the classics, and ancient texts... But I am not against something a little more contemporary.

Closest I have come to that sort of thing is Asimov, in any quantity.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #698 on: July 30, 2019, 02:46:02 am »

I D/L'ed the kindle of Wonderland...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #699 on: July 30, 2019, 09:19:24 am »

I just hit the button to have them not call back. The ones here are all robocalls, and I refuse to do business with someone who won't even call me voice to voice. Besides, all my vehicles are old enough to vote, and one could have voted for or against FDR.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis