Author Topic: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot  (Read 83334 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot
« Reply #475 on: July 09, 2019, 08:39:53 am »
@Sanguine
Then fences and gates at the risk of looking like the band box at a honkytonk up the canyon.  :shrug:

Perhaps make somewhere else more inviting...

My buddy has a stock tank under the trees with a little sprinkler doo-dad that makes a sort of fountain  to aerate the tank... It's a big ol tank and he has fish in it...

Anyhow, in the heat of the summer, that is always where you will find his goats down wind of that fountain in the shade where it is considerably cooler.
Like a big swamp cooler...

We'd use a sprinkler to cool the south side of the house when it got godawful hot a few years back. It worked great.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #476 on: July 09, 2019, 08:42:08 am »
@roamer_1

My grandma used to keep some peacocks around.
My uncle had a few. They can really make a racket. First time we heard them, it sounded like someone yelling for help out on the river. We looked for a while and couldn't find anything before we realized it was the birds.

Owls wiped them out.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #477 on: July 09, 2019, 01:12:29 pm »
My uncle had a few. They can really make a racket. First time we heard them, it sounded like someone yelling for help out on the river. We looked for a while and couldn't find anything before we realized it was the birds.

Owls wiped them out.

Two things never to be found on my place if I can prevent it.

1. A peacock

2. A goat
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #478 on: July 09, 2019, 01:33:01 pm »
Destroy all machines!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #479 on: July 09, 2019, 01:33:34 pm »
Different smell. As an experiment, try rubbing them with a snake, and see how the goats react.

@Smokin Joe

Uhhhhh,I think I detect a small flaw in that plan.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #480 on: July 09, 2019, 01:34:19 pm »
Different smell. As an experiment, try rubbing them with a snake, and see how the goats react.

Ah, ha! I bet that's it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #481 on: July 09, 2019, 01:35:47 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Uhhhhh,I think I detect a small flaw in that plan.

Yeah, finding a snake willing to rub itself on the rubber snakes, while I maintain a good distance, is pretty unlikely.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #482 on: July 09, 2019, 01:37:07 pm »
Yep we've had em too... But guineas do the same, and take care of snakes and ticks.

As a kid we kept both also... It was funny how the guineas would follow the peacock around like it was their guardian... The went to roost at night in the big tree out front and were excellent guard animals.... That scream they (peacock male) made when something came near at night.... it still haunts me... but at least they were quiet for the most part during the day .... 

Yeah, finding a snake willing to rub itself on the rubber snakes, while I maintain a good distance, is pretty unlikely.

Thanks San for the laugh...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:39:09 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #483 on: July 09, 2019, 01:52:30 pm »
Do you know that goats aren't afraid of rubber snakes?  I bought some very realistic ones that scare guests but the goats just lay down and sleep on them.  I was hoping to keep the snakes off the porch, but so far, no go.

@Sanguine

One answer is "yard cats". Cats LOVE eating snakes. They will get together to gang up and kill one,and then fight each other to see who gets to eat it. I've had my shop cats kill and eat a big cottonmouth that got into my workshop,and had the house cats catch and kill a copperhead they discovered slithering down the hallway one day.

The cottonmouth was over 3 feet long and they had been trying to warn me he was in the shop for a couple of days,but I was distracted and didn't pay any attention. When I would go in there in the afternoons to give them food and water,instead of greeting me at the door,they would be up on the hood or roof of my 33 Dodge sedan. The tom would jump off,walk a couple of steps,stop and look around really carefully,and then walk a few more. Should have made me suspicious,but I was having health issues and ignored it.

Then one day I went in there to get some lumber for a house repair,and as I was sorting through the lumber stack I saw movement out of the corner of my eye,and saw over 2 feet of cottonmouth slithering behind the lumber stack. Couldn't shoot because of ricochets,and couldn't immediately grab a square point shovel,so  I let it go for another day. Found the shovel and left it by the door,and went in there wearing leather boots for the next couple of days. Moved every piece of lumber the first day,but he was no longer there,so I figured he was crawled up under one of the cars. Since there was no chance of me crawling under a car to look for a cottonmouth,I left it for another day.

I think it was the 3rd or 4th day I went in there looking for the snake,and the first thing I noticed was the cats waterbowl and food bowl were overturned in the floor,and both of the shop cats were laying in the floor flat of their backs,snoozing. They didn't even wake up when I came in and closed the door. Right away I knew they were "sleeping off a snake dinner",and I had nothing to worry about.

I found out about the copperhead in the hallway when I heard the cats jumping and making noises,and went to look. I have no idea how they caught and killed that one without getting bitten,since the hallway was so narrow,but they did the job.

BTW,if you see snakes in your yard or live in an area with a lot of snakes,you need a couple of house cats,too. If they are in the yard,it is only a matter of time before they are in the house. If a mouse can get in your house,so can a snake. In fact,the snake is in there looking for mice.

Get two house cats. A snake stands a chance against one cat,but two cats will tag team him,and while one has him distracted,the other will get him from behind and bite his head off..

The will then fight each other over who gets to eat him,but ignore that. It's just "cat business" and they will work it out.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:55:56 pm by sneakypete »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #484 on: July 09, 2019, 04:01:21 pm »
Like a big swamp cooler...

We'd use a sprinkler to cool the south side of the house when it got godawful hot a few years back. It worked great.

That's right.
 :beer:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #485 on: July 09, 2019, 04:09:59 pm »
That's right.
 :beer:

It's hot and very humid here.  Swamp coolers are not effective.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #486 on: July 09, 2019, 04:10:52 pm »
@sneakypete the big dog hates cats.  Never been able to break him of it.  No cats allowed here.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #487 on: July 09, 2019, 04:15:49 pm »
It's hot and very humid here.  Swamp coolers are not effective.

Just make things even more humid and wastes a lot of water.  In Arizona everybody has one.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #488 on: July 09, 2019, 04:29:24 pm »
Just make things even more humid and wastes a lot of water.  In Arizona everybody has one.

I never had one, they're useless in Monsoon season.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #489 on: July 09, 2019, 04:31:26 pm »
I never had one, they're useless in Monsoon season.

I stand corrected!  Almost everyone in Arizona has one.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #490 on: July 09, 2019, 04:32:41 pm »
I stand corrected!  Almost everyone in Arizona has one.

:laugh: :beer:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #491 on: July 09, 2019, 05:42:02 pm »
@sneakypete the big dog hates cats.  Never been able to break him of it.  No cats allowed here.

@Sanguine

This sic his big ass on the next snake you see on the porch. He will either learn to kill snakes,or it will be ok for you to get a couple of cats.

Every problem has a solution.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #492 on: July 09, 2019, 05:47:28 pm »
@Sanguine

This sic his big ass on the next snake you see on the porch. He will either learn to kill snakes,or it will be ok for you to get a couple of cats.

Every problem has a solution.

It's ok, I only have rubber snakes on the porch.   :beer:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #493 on: July 09, 2019, 05:59:08 pm »
It's ok, I only have rubber snakes on the porch.   :beer:

@Sanguine

The cats would be important to catch snakes INSIDE the house,so if the dog is an outside dog,you could have them. Snakes don't have a chance against cats.

BTW,you might THINK you only have rubber snakes on the porch,but if you have them in the yard you have them on the porch,and sooner or later will have them inside the house.

One thing you seriously need to look into is getting a  "Fisheye" camera installed near your door so you can look through it and check for snakes sleeping next to the door before you open it and step out. Speaking as someone who has stepped outside of my door and stepped on a snake barefoot,I can tell you truthfully that is probably more excitement all at one time than you might want. Luckily,it was a non-poisonous snake. I now have a covered porch,and a glass door on the porch where the steps are.

Online berdie

« Reply #494 on: July 09, 2019, 08:19:22 pm »
I had a husky- hibred wolf mix that HATED snakes. He would catch one and roll around on his back on them until they were dead.

Of course he hated every interloper...not just snakes. Great dog and one of my favs, I miss him.  The snakes are pretty bad this year.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #495 on: July 09, 2019, 10:19:13 pm »
Destroy all machines!

Start with the ones that are burrowing into people's heads.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #496 on: July 09, 2019, 10:37:41 pm »
They're so cute, Fred.  And, friendly.   I think pepper spray would change that dynamic.

Think of it as a marinade.  I thought it over.  Collect a five gallon bucket  of goat droppings. Don't  pack them in. Add water to make a nice slurry. Then, using a mop, swab your deck...
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #497 on: July 09, 2019, 10:43:31 pm »
Think of it as a marinade.  I thought it over.  Collect a five gallon bucket  of goat droppings. Don't  pack them in. Add water to make a nice slurry. Then, using a mop, swab your deck...

If one doesn't mind ruining one's wife's mop and having the entire property smelling like goat shit.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #498 on: July 09, 2019, 11:23:49 pm »
If one doesn't mind ruining one's wife's mop and having the entire property smelling like goat shit.   :shrug:

I don't mind. It's her property. Do a couple of test spots and use a paint roller. And no way would I sink so low as to suggest chanting verses from the koran, in Arabic, at them.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #499 on: July 10, 2019, 12:12:14 am »
The hardware is catching up with the software so beware.

Intel and Baidu collaboration on neural network platforms could boost biometric performance

https://www.biometricupdate.com/201907/intel-and-baidu-collaboration-on-neural-network-platforms-could-boost-biometric-performance

Intel and Baidu have formed a partnership to collaborate on hardware and software platforms for artificial intelligence, which could improve biometric facial and voice recognition performance, Forbes reports.

The companies are working together on research and development of a hardware accelerator optimized for deep learning, the Nervana Neural Network Processor for Training (NNP-T). The NNP-T 1000 was launched by Intel in 2017, with processor cores base on Intel Ice Lake architecture. The partnership, which extends a long history of cooperation, was announced at the Baidu Create AI developer conference.

Baidu is using Intel Xeon Scalable Processors to run the infrastructure for its Baidu Brain AI platform, which powers natural language processing, facial recognition, voice processing and recognition, and approximately 100 other AI services. The companies have also worked on optimizing the hardware to accelerate performance for speech synthesis, natural language processing, visual applications, and other workloads. Baidu is also optimizing its PaddlePaddle (Parallel Distributed Deep Learning) deep learning framework, which it offers as a alternative to Google’s TensorFlow, for Intel NNP-T.