Author Topic: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot  (Read 82942 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot
« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2019, 01:13:29 pm »
There was an experiment done way back where they set up a shielded darkroom, added the appropriate detectors and or measuring device(s). Then they had one of the best remote viewers view the target. At the moment the remote viewer said he was at the target the instruments detected photons where there shouldn't have been any. When the viewer stopped, the photons were no longer detected.

There is other science out there doing much the same. This video is about a set of experiments to see if a person could influence photons by "thinking" about them.

Sorry...

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #226 on: February 14, 2019, 01:25:00 pm »
What will be the test to determine sentience and/or consciousness in an AI/robot?

"I think, therefore I am" isn't going to cut it.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #227 on: February 14, 2019, 09:37:38 pm »
“Freedom requires truth, and so to smash freedom you must smash truth”

You live in a fascist state people. But not to worry.

We, you, me--us are about to live under THE NEW TOTALITARIANISM.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #228 on: February 14, 2019, 10:35:18 pm »
This is how it really got going.

9\11 was the lynchpin. Whether you believe it was an outside act of terrorism, or an inside job, it brought us The Patriot Act, TSA, Homeland Security, etc.

We (this is going to take the three of me) will present to you now the term "Invisible Fascism". Stay tuned (pun intended) for updates.

Take some time to mull it over.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 10:35:50 pm by bigheadfred »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #229 on: February 14, 2019, 10:44:16 pm »
This is how it really got going.

9\11 was the lynchpin. Whether you believe it was an outside act of terrorism, or an inside job, it brought us The Patriot Act, TSA, Homeland Security, etc.

We (this is going to take the three of me) will present to you now the term "Invisible Fascism". Stay tuned (pun intended) for updates.

Take some time to mull it over.
FWIW, I got shouted down on another site (one i no longer visit) where I was assured all those extraconstitutional powers in the Patriot Act were okay, because "our side" was putting them in there. Some of them are in direct contravention to listed civil rights.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Bill Cipher

« Reply #230 on: February 14, 2019, 10:50:18 pm »
What will be the test to determine sentience and/or consciousness in an AI/robot?

"I think, therefore I am" isn't going to cut it.

That is a very good question, and one on which much work has been done and will have to be done.  Perhaps some version of the Turing Test will be used.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #231 on: February 14, 2019, 10:52:21 pm »
FWIW, I got shouted down on another site (one i no longer visit) where I was assured all those extraconstitutional powers in the Patriot Act were okay, because "our side" was putting them in there. Some of them are in direct contravention to listed civil rights.

There's the problem, right there.  *****rollingeyes*****

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #232 on: February 14, 2019, 10:54:25 pm »

You succinctly illuminate why I used the term "Invisible Fascism". I claim no intellectual rights to it. A term I heard somewhere else.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #233 on: February 14, 2019, 11:06:16 pm »
That is a very good question, and one on which much work has been done and will have to be done.  Perhaps some version of the Turing Test will be used.

IMO, anything they come up with will never satisfy what I believe to be sentience, or conscious(ness), at the human level.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #234 on: February 14, 2019, 11:11:52 pm »
There's the problem, right there.  *****rollingeyes*****
Yep.. It's what happens when people abandon solid and unwavering principles for emotionally driven expediency.

As a rule, the WORST legislation is hammered through in an "emergency" or other frenzy to "do something".

If Obama or Clinton had tried to have the same law passed, maybe people would have read past the title and realized what was in it--and fought it tooth and nail.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #235 on: February 14, 2019, 11:16:33 pm »
Yep.. It's what happens when people abandon solid and unwavering principles for emotionally driven expediency.

As a rule, the WORST legislation is hammered through in an "emergency" or other frenzy to "do something".

If Obama or Clinton had tried to have the same law passed, maybe people would have read past the title and realized what was in it--and fought it tooth and nail.

Why would I not think Clinton had a hand in the drafting of this legislation?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:18:35 pm by bigheadfred »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #236 on: February 14, 2019, 11:29:48 pm »
April 24, 1996.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:31:54 pm by bigheadfred »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #237 on: February 14, 2019, 11:30:00 pm »
Why would I not think Clinton had a hand in the drafting of this legislation?
They might have, planting on call executive power far beyond anything the Constitution would allow, right down to seizing the contents of your pantry, your guns, your home, out of expedience in an emergency--essentially the carte blanche that would have the current crop of neototalitarians giving off emissions in their sleep. That's just it. If there is stuff in the Bill that shouldn't be there, it shouldn't pass, should be vetoed, no matter whose idea it was.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #238 on: February 14, 2019, 11:33:03 pm »
They might have, planting on call executive power far beyond anything the Constitution would allow, right down to seizing the contents of your pantry, your guns, your home, out of expedience in an emergency--essentially the carte blanche that would have the current crop of neototalitarians giving off emissions in their sleep. That's just it. If there is stuff in the Bill that shouldn't be there, it shouldn't pass, should be vetoed, no matter whose idea it was.

The date I posted was when that Antiterrorism bill came into effect. The reply to Oklahoma City.

Clinton thought it had been stripped too much. Whether Clinton had an actual hand in framing the PA, those people had a lesson learned.

Clinton's law came too late. They had the PA in effect before the fires were out at ground zero, New York City.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:41:09 pm by bigheadfred »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #239 on: February 14, 2019, 11:36:51 pm »

Interesting.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #240 on: February 14, 2019, 11:48:58 pm »
IMO, anything they come up with will never satisfy what I believe to be sentience, or conscious(ness), at the human level.

Maybe so.  I happen to think otherwise.  I doubt it will happen in my lifetime, but I’m sure it will happen. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2019, 12:09:04 am »
Maybe so.  I happen to think otherwise.  I doubt it will happen in my lifetime, but I’m sure it will happen.

Thanks for the input.

Under my current belief system, which I reserve the right to change at any time, the best they will ever get,  is a mere simulacrum.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2019, 12:17:29 am »
Thanks for the input.

Under my current belief system, which I reserve the right to change at any time, the best they will ever get,  is a mere simulacrum.

Ok.  I believe that real sentience will be achieved. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2019, 12:31:06 am »

I don't know about "achieved," but it will be declared so by the PTB whether it's really achieved or not.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2019, 12:37:02 am »

I believe sentience to be a combination of six senses in a being that is alive. Human sentience comes from those combined sensory inputs. They WILL be able to copy at least the first five, to a machine that can process the data faster than a human. But that doesn't make the machine human. Sentient under a "real" definition. Yeah, they are going to do that.

In this case, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck it STILL isn't a duck.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a swan it is a narcissist. :laugh:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #245 on: February 15, 2019, 01:15:49 am »
I believe sentience to be a combination of six senses in a being that is alive. Human sentience comes from those combined sensory inputs. They WILL be able to copy at least the first five, to a machine that can process the data faster than a human. But that doesn't make the machine human. Sentient under a "real" definition. Yeah, they are going to do that.

In this case, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck it STILL isn't a duck.

Are you harping on that poor swan's "white privilege"?  :nono: :laugh: J/K

I believe we still have to come up with an untainted definition of sentience, simply because any future contact with another sentient species may occur by our actions, and failure to recognize that sentience could have serious ramifications for them and possibly us.

C S Lewis

Bill Cipher

« Reply #246 on: February 15, 2019, 01:21:10 am »
Are you harping on that poor swan's "white privilege"?  :nono: :laugh: J/K

I believe we still have to come up with an untainted definition of sentience, simply because any future contact with another sentient species may occur by our actions, and failure to recognize that sentience could have serious ramifications for them and possibly us.

Agreed. 

Bill Cipher

« Reply #247 on: February 15, 2019, 01:22:30 am »

As far as I’m concerned, sentience is an epiphenomenon that arises from a purely material system, and therefore can in principle be reproduced in true fidelity.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #248 on: February 15, 2019, 02:07:34 am »
As far as I’m concerned, sentience is an epiphenomenon that arises from a purely material system, and therefore can in principle be reproduced in true fidelity.

So are you saying that sentience is observable effect of consciousness manifesting in three dimensions?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #249 on: February 15, 2019, 02:18:51 am »
This reminds me of Carl Sagan describing the introduction of a 3D object into a 2D world. In his example he used an apple as the 3D object. To an observer in the 2D world all they would see is a 2D slice of the apple. Similarly, if you pulled a 2D person into a 3D they would vanish from the 2D world.