Author Topic: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot  (Read 82878 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjhrIzPu6_gAhULl1QKHaeCAmAQFjAAegQIChAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Ffuturism.com%2Fthe-byte%2Fkill-human-sentient-robot&usg=AOvVaw2ciPlfCq6z3HKvWF048TF6

They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot

It’s an old philosophical question: if a speeding train is careening down the track, and it’s about to crush a group of injured people, would you pull a lever that would redirect it to kill just one innocent person?

Now, provocative new research puts a new twist on the thought experiment by asking people whether they’d pull the lever to kill an intelligent robot and save a person.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 02:06:08 am by MOD4 »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 08:23:44 pm »
I want to send a big SHOUTOUT to all the people who can't live without their cell phone.

I'm not talking about people who use their phones for their businesses.

May be of interest to:

@Victoria33
@Quix
@the_doc
@Smokin Joe

I'm still going to shout
I'll send out the cry
Not going to pout
but with a heavy sigh...

AI is coming to town!
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 08:33:52 pm »
The machine is replaceable, and likely backed up to the cloud somewhere.
Regardless,
I'd save the human.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 08:55:04 pm »
The machine is replaceable, and likely backed up to the cloud somewhere.
Regardless,
I'd save the human.

Given the political climate, with politicians advocating killing post-term babies, the area turns a darker shade of grey.

This is one of the things about 5G. The ability for you to interface with AI. Which will automatically make you smarter.

There is already another growing trend. Digisexuality.

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2019/january/digisexuality-the-new-trend-of-falling-in-love-with-robots-and-why-it-escalates-sexual-threats-to-women-and-kids

Digisexuality: The New Trend of 'Falling in Love' With Robots and Why It Escalates Sexual Threats to Women and Kids

The New York Times reports that sex with artificial intelligence and robots, or "digisexuality," is becoming mainstream.

"Today we fall in love through our phones. Maybe your phone itself could be just as satisfying," the newspaper suggests.

The article highlights the story of a 35-year-old Japanese man who "married" a hologram in November after being unable to form relationships with real women. He believes his hologram marriage is no different than gay marriage.

The Times suggests these kinds of digital relationships are becoming more popular after efforts to redefine traditional sexuality and marriage escalated in recent years.

"We live in an era when rapid advances in robotics and artificial intelligence are colliding with an expanding conception of sexual identity. This comes quickly on the heels of growing worldwide acceptance of gay, trans and bisexual people," the paper reads. "But the idea that flesh-and-blood humans may actually forge fulfilling emotional, or even sexual, relationships with digital devices is no longer confined to dystopian science fiction movies."

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 08:58:18 pm »
Something you said about speaking up, or remaining silent, @Smokin Joe

I'm speaking up. Pass it along.

Offline Smokin Joe

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 09:20:13 pm »
Something you said about speaking up, or remaining silent, @Smokin Joe

I'm speaking up. Pass it along.
The whole phone thing. I watched a guy walking through a field, phone in hand and so focused on it, he stepped in a hole and fell flat on his face.

The reason--a big reason--that people have trouble having relationships is we are surrounded by machines designed to grab (and hold) our attention, to sell us stuff or ideas, to the detriment of face to face communication with other people.

In the absence of being able to see the other person in front of them, that shield of distance and aura of unreality has coarsened what passes for communication, and in many cases, the regard humans once had for one another.

It is a sad situation, because ultimately much bitter and unnecessary enmity will be settled in blood, and the swipe left/swipe right hookup mentality that people are as disposable as a phone when the next model comes out has all but destroyed the deeper feelings once associated with dating, couples, and to some extent the concept of longstanding commitment (which was already grievously injured).

No wonder that techie guy was having trouble relating to humans, no wonder he felt more for his machine, a hologram without any baggage. But he lost something there, too. While it can be argued that the hologram won't sue him for half in a divorce or take the kids, he lost his chance to be a knight in shining armor, a rock, the person who makes things all better, and in so doing gains strength, honor, and confidence in his ability to deal with the trials and tribulations of everyday life, be they great or small.
No man can be a hero to something that doesn't understand what he risks, to a machine that will never feel the sting of failure.

Years ago, one of my granddaughters said, "I have over 400 facebook friends!".
I said, "Cool! What color are their eyes?"
She didn't know, and realized only the couple of people she could trust with her life were her real friends.
It was a letdown for her at first, until I reminded her that if it took more than two hands of fingers to count the people you could really count on in a pinch, she was lucky indeed. Most of us rarely get past the first handful at any given time in our lives. Lots of acquaintances, few real friends.

Kill the machine. Keep the people. @roamer_1

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Offline Quix

• Times R a changin' Walk with God!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 10:08:04 pm »
I want to send a big SHOUTOUT to all the people who can't live without their cell phone.

I'm not talking about people who use their phones for their businesses.

May be of interest to:

@Victoria33
@Quix
@the_doc
@Smokin Joe

I'm still going to shout
I'll send out the cry
Not going to pout
but with a heavy sigh...

AI is coming to town!

Thanks.

I'd certainly save the human over the robot.

However, because the globalist oligarchy has succeeded in changing the bulk of the values in Western culture from

IN THE BEGINNING, GOD . . .

and thereby reducing individuals, humans, mankind to be nothing more significant than a pigeon, a rat a radish or a rock

we can likely expect growing cries to protect robots over people.

WE must face the fact that the liberal hidiots have been propaganda lobotomized, brain washed, !!!CONTROLLED!!!! wholesale. They do not tend to operate with reason. They tend to be suicidally hypocritical.

Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
POTTERY SITE ON ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ACTIVELOVE
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 10:58:18 pm »

Thanks.

I'd certainly save the human over the robot.

However, because the globalist oligarchy has succeeded in changing the bulk of the values in Western culture from

IN THE BEGINNING, GOD . . .

and thereby reducing individuals, humans, mankind to be nothing more significant than a pigeon, a rat a radish or a rock

we can likely expect growing cries to protect robots over people.

WE must face the fact that the liberal hidiots have been propaganda lobotomized, brain washed, !!!CONTROLLED!!!! wholesale. They do not tend to operate with reason. They tend to be suicidally hypocritical.

The big town close by just passed a city ordinance that if you are caught using your cell phone while driving it is an automatic $300 fine. I was glad to see it.

Related.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/biased-ai-microsoft-reputation

Microsoft Is Worried Its AI Will Go Rogue and Hurt Its Reputation

Microsoft is worried about its reputation being hurt?

What about people being hurt?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 11:04:35 pm »
Would I rather kill a human or a robot?  That's a silly question. The robot wouldn't feel the pain I inflicted so what satisfaction would there be in that?

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 11:07:30 pm »
I must not understand the question, of course it would be a robot.  If I ever saw a robot I would enjoy smashing it to pieces with a bat.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 11:08:17 pm »
Would I rather kill a human or a robot?  That's a silly question. The robot wouldn't feel the pain I inflicted so what satisfaction would there be in that?

That is the whole point. People who believe the robots will be able to "feel".

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 11:27:21 pm »
That is the whole point. People who believe the robots will be able to "feel".

Maybe if they programmed the robots to say "Ow, you're hurting me." it would be more fun.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 11:28:24 pm »

The big town close by just passed a city ordinance that if you are caught using your cell phone while driving it is an automatic $300 fine. I was glad to see it.

Related.

Does that include the cops that are on their computers and phones while driving?

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 11:40:00 pm »
Maybe if they programmed the robots to say "Ow, you're hurting me." it would be more fun.

. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 12:09:26 am »
Does that include the cops that are on their computers and phones while driving?

I asked my neighbor the cop that. He uses a Bluetooth. He also qualified it by saying it depended on the situation. The ordinance is aimed at people with a phone in their hand. Especially people texting.

I have to make a correction. First offense is a $100 fine.

One thing I can tell you is I haven't seen a LEO on a phone while doing a regular patrol. And if they are in response mode I am more interested in getting out of their way.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 02:59:18 am »
My only question would be 'which human' there are some that yeah I'd rather kill than a robot.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 03:01:54 am »
My only question would be 'which human' there are some that yeah I'd rather kill than a robot.

There is that.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 03:45:37 am »

Kill the machine. Keep the people. @roamer_1

Great post, @Smokin Joe , all of it.

I am a heck of a geek, but it ain't ever been where my heart lies, beyond the fixing of things - I have to understand how to deal with these things that are becoming so influential in society, and have such a huge impact on my friends, family, and myself.

But I am far removed from computerized society, beyond a token FB presence for harvesting grandkid pix, and a few scattered forums, this one being primary... The very fact that it is virtual means that it ain't real - But folks have gone so far into the virtual that they no longer understand the real at all. And in the process, lose track of any sense or propriety.

I drug home a 50's era 6" vise the other day... A feller can learn a whole lot about folks messin around with restoring things. That old vise was made back in a day when people meant it. I am sure you know that you can't even buy a good one anymore... But that ol girl has been around longer than me, and other than being cached full of rust, some worn out chompers, and wallered out acme thread, she's as good as the day she was made.

That ol vise is a thing of beauty - Made by true craftsmen for the use of true craftsmen... And stood the test of time. That I dug it out of a trash heap at the steel yard says more about the kind of folks we've become than about the vise itself.

She's all apart right now, as I have been soaking the years off her, and she'll have to bear the indignity of the sandblaster, And I will have to drill out the threads and make a steel collar to replace them, pressing that into the faulty spindle nut to make her new... And a set of jaw plates I have to make on a flycutter... She'll be all brand-new pretty soon, all refitted and greased, and painted orange and lettered... Ready for the next 70 years, where hopefully some other craftsman will see it's worth, see my own craftsmanship, and repeat it...

I will bring her back from her grave and make her right as rain, right back to original specs, in part because I have a deep respect for her maker... But also because you just cannot buy her like for any price anymore. And what it can do - Well, there ain't no app for that. And that is what folks are missing.

As to the question, life is cheap and confusing to those who have nothing to weigh it against...
Would I have any confusion at all between a hoomin life and that vise? Of course not. It is a machine. Just because the AI is more complicated, doesn't make the decision any different... And one I can readily make without hardly a thought.

As to the hoomin, well, there again, I have a deep respect for their Maker... And I have done enough killing to know what life is. That may well be where the rubber meets the road - I know the price of every bite of meat I put in my mouth, and that price is life. Life taken from the critter I am gnawing on is directly life for me. That it was taken by my own hand makes it very real.

And from that blooms a deeper respect for life, which directly extends to understanding - And is why I will forever prefer my conversations to be with sweet tea and maybe a chunk of pie, if I am lucky, on a back porch somewhere... That same decision, compared with texting, skyping, or even the phone, is likewise readily made without a thought. Those other means are nothing but cheap replacements made in China.

That direct interaction with all the facial expressions, smells, textures, and such, cannot be replaced, cannot be refined... It is as natural as it comes... and nature is reality un-retouched... A thing that cannot be virtualized.

Offline Quix

• Times R a changin' Walk with God!
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 04:20:31 am »

Related.

I have a Nissan ExTerra. On the roof-top windscreen, I have put red letters designed backwards so when viewed in a mirror they read:

HANG UP N DRIVE

I feel pretty strongly about the issue. A friend was hurt because of a texting driver.
Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
POTTERY SITE ON ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ACTIVELOVE
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 04:07:45 pm »
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwilqcTiw7HgAhVosVQKHcasBhMQFjAAegQICRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fsites%2Fcognitiveworld%2F2019%2F02%2F10%2Fthe-troubling-trajectory-of-technological-singularity%2F&usg=AOvVaw1cKK0xubdmfNtLqsJ3CJWO

The Troubling Trajectory Of Technological Singularity

As humanity stands on the brink of a technology triggered information revolution, the scale, scope and complexity of the impact of intelligence evolution in machines is unlike anything humankind has experienced before. As a result, the speed at which the ideas, innovations and inventions are emerging on the back of artificial intelligence has no historical precedent and is fundamentally disrupting everything in the human ecosystem.
ADVERTISEMENT

In addition, the breadth, depth and impact of this intelligence evolution on furthering of ideas and innovations across cyberspace, geospace and space (CGS) herald the fundamental transformation of entire interconnected and interdependent systems of basic and applied science: research and development, concept to commercialization, politics to governance, socialization to capitalism, education to training, production to markets, survival to security and more.

The technology triggered intelligence evolution in machines and the linkages between ideas, innovations and trends have in fact brought us on the doorsteps of singularity. Irrespective of whether we believe that the singularity will happen or not, the very thought raises many concerns and critical security risk uncertainties for the future of humanity. This forces us to begin a conversation with ourselves and with others (individually and collectively) about what we want as a species.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 06:13:22 pm »
This is one of the things about 5G. The ability for you to interface with AI. Which will automatically make you smarter.

Just saw this.  There must be a tongue firmly planted in your cheek...that sort of thing doesn't make anybody smarter, just better educated.  We have Colleges graduating educated nitwits all over the country, proving "education" != "intelligence."

A favorite saying of mine:  In the 21st Century, many people have a device in their pockets that allows them access to the entire world's knowledge base.  What do they do with it?  Yell at each other over grammar and punctuation, and post cute videos of kittens (I approve of the kitten part).
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 06:31:43 pm »
If it was a choice between my Roomba and some humans I'd choose to save my Roomba. I love that thing.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 06:34:01 pm »
If it was a choice between my Roomba and some humans I'd choose to save my Roomba. I love that thing.

Apparently you never had one run over a dog poopie.   :silly:

(There are stories on the Interwebz about that.)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: