Author Topic: The return of ancient prejudices  (Read 1891 times)

rangerrebew

The return of ancient prejudices
« on: February 09, 2019, 05:47:03 pm »
The return of ancient prejudices

By Victor Davis Hanson

Published Feb. 7, 2019

In the latter half of the 19th century and early in the 20th century, as Catholic immigrants poured in from Ireland and eastern Europe, an anti-Catholic wave spread over a mostly Protestant United States. The majority slur then was that Catholic newcomers' first loyalty would be to "Rome," not the U.S.

Anti-Semitism grew even more deeply rooted, marked by Ivy League quotas on Jewish applicants and exclusionary clauses against Jews in clubs and neighborhoods. It was no accident that the Ku Klux Klan often targeted Catholics and Jews as well as African-Americans.

In the late 19th century, with the influx of Japanese and Chinese immigrants arose the "yellow peril" scare, a racist distrust of supposedly workaholic automatons and unassimilable immigrants whose first loyalty was to their close-knit Asian communities and homelands, not the U.S.

Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0219/hanson020719.php3#jpzkm3RM4G8TDZAe.99

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: The return of ancient prejudices
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 08:54:37 pm »
Good article, and worth reading.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 01:54:26 pm »
And today, in their never ending drive to divide and conquer, the Rats have become more open in their scapegoating of Jews and Catholics, because their usual Identity Groups aren't All falling for it anymore.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 03:00:32 pm »
And today, in their never ending drive to divide and conquer, the Rats have become more open in their scapegoating of Jews and Catholics, because their usual Identity Groups aren't All falling for it anymore.

Not just Jews and Catholics - all non-persons-of-color and men in particular.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 04:44:57 pm »
A major newspaper just launched a broadsided smear on the Southern Baptists this past weekend. The secularists, since the increased push for homosexual rights began in earnest a little over a decade ago, are now emboldened to attack all of Judeo-Christian religion.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Absalom

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 07:17:19 pm »
Prejudice is defined as a pre-judgement from intuition/instinct rather than experience.
So is it always wrong?????

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 07:18:48 pm »
Prejudice is defined as a pre-judgement from intuition/instinct rather than experience.
So is it always wrong?????

Did you read the article @Absalom?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 10:01:07 pm »
Quote from: the article
What once helped to diminish ancient prejudices was the American creed that no one had a right to discriminate against fellow citizens on the basis of race, gender, class or religion.

No, what helped to diminish ancient prejudices was an ethic based in individual merit.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:01:45 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 10:14:13 pm »
No, what helped to diminish ancient prejudices was an ethic based in individual merit.
You mean things like "All men are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..." and being "...judged by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin." ?

That kind of stuff?

Underneath that is a very heavy Christian ethos, for all are equal in His eyes.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 10:24:41 pm »
You mean things like "All men are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..." and being "...judged by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin." ?

That kind of stuff?

Underneath that is a very heavy Christian ethos, for all are equal in His eyes.

That's right. But that is not a basis for accepting sin, or sinful ways into a society. Therein lies the Christian ethos. There are things that destroy society, and the Father has enumerated them explicitly.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 10:45:48 pm »
Good article, and worth reading.

VDH is always worth reading, like Daniel Greenfield.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 11:08:46 pm »
It's not a return.  Democrats have always been this way.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 11:21:26 pm »
That's right. But that is not a basis for accepting sin, or sinful ways into a society. Therein lies the Christian ethos. There are things that destroy society, and the Father has enumerated them explicitly.
Yes. Even for those so inclined to call the spiritual aspects of the Bible "superstition", if they are honest with themselves the rules laid down are excellent guidelines for staying healthy, getting along with those around you, keeping a marriage together, and living an uncluttered and happy life.

They are too hung up on rebelling against the idea that they "shalt not" do something, something that has the seductive allure of forbidden fruit, that they refuse to see that going against that admonition is unadvisable.

If nothing else, if they'd just look at it as an 'operators' manual' for humans, (what creator doesn't provide one?) they'd live a simpler and happier life, in a simpler and happier society.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 11:35:34 pm »
Yes. Even for those so inclined to call the spiritual aspects of the Bible "superstition", if they are honest with themselves the rules laid down are excellent guidelines for staying healthy, getting along with those around you, keeping a marriage together, and living an uncluttered and happy life.

They are too hung up on rebelling against the idea that they "shalt not" do something, something that has the seductive allure of forbidden fruit, that they refuse to see that going against that admonition is unadvisable.

If nothing else, if they'd just look at it as an 'operators' manual' for humans, (what creator doesn't provide one?) they'd live a simpler and happier life, in a simpler and happier society.

That's right.

Funny, that bolded part... Part of why I am Messianic is because I found out 'Torah' does not quite mean 'commandments'... It is more akin to 'instructions'.

Like the Old Man of the house saying: "We don't do like that in this family... This is how we do... And if you go against it, you won't like it much."

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:36:17 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 04:32:57 am »
That's right.

Funny, that bolded part... Part of why I am Messianic is because I found out 'Torah' does not quite mean 'commandments'... It is more akin to 'instructions'.

Like the Old Man of the house saying: "We don't do like that in this family... This is how we do... And if you go against it, you won't like it much."
Imagine what flowed into the creeks and estuaries, and recall shellfish are filter feeders. Catfish are bottom feeders, no wonder He didn't want folks eating them. No pork because it carries diseases humans can catch, not to mention parasites. etc. For a tribe there, in those days, this was medical advice!

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 04:48:17 am »
Imagine what flowed into the creeks and estuaries, and recall shellfish are filter feeders. Catfish are bottom feeders, no wonder He didn't want folks eating them. No pork because it carries diseases humans can catch, not to mention parasites. etc. For a tribe there, in those days, this was medical advice!

It's still good advice...ounce of prevention and all that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 05:57:28 am »
It's still good advice...ounce of prevention and all that.
After the US ACofE killed all the aquatic vegetation in the tidewater estuary I grew up on, fecal colliform (bacteria) counts went through the roof, causing oyster bars to be closed to harvest. I haven't eaten a raw oyster since I was a teenager--and won't.
I no longer eat my beef rare, either. And I avoid Chinese farmed/caught/canned anything when I can.
Pork, though, is thoroughly cooked.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 08:01:26 am »

It surely is!
And there's more... When I started down this path I quit eating pork at home, but I would still be exposed to some, either by mistake, or while at someone's house as a guest... but I was off it long enough that now I flat cannot eat it. It turns my belly.

I wonder why that is.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 08:05:10 am »
It surely is!
And there's more... When I started down this path I quit eating pork at home, but I would still be exposed to some, either by mistake, or while at someone's house as a guest... but I was off it long enough that now I flat cannot eat it. It turns my belly.

I wonder why that is.
Dunno. I favor cured smoked meat, though, and can eat bacon and ham until the cows come home (and then load up on beef!). I'm not so much on just plain pork roasts, but will eat barbecue, and love sausage. Maybe I'm just a heathen at heart....well, more at gut level :shrug:

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 08:11:03 am »
Dunno. I favor cured smoked meat, though, and can eat bacon and ham until the cows come home (and then load up on beef!). I'm not so much on just plain pork roasts, but will eat barbecue, and love sausage. Maybe I'm just a heathen at heart....well, more at gut level :shrug:

Me too, all the same, but w/o the pork.  :shrug:
Just can't have it anymore.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 08:24:06 am »
Me too, all the same, but w/o the pork.  :shrug:
Just can't have it anymore.
If it doesn't agree with you, it isn't worth the pain...(More for me...) :shrug:

C S Lewis

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 02:42:53 pm »
It surely is!

I wonder why that is.

I grew up in a vegetarian home (l-o-n-g before that was a "thing").  I never did learn to eat pork.  Not to say I have never eaten pork, because I have thru inadvertence or because I did not want to hurt someone's feelings.  I like beef in certain forms and am comfortable with chicken, turkey and some fish.   Meat is a two-edged sword from a nutritional and health standpoint.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 02:59:21 pm »
I grew up in a vegetarian home (l-o-n-g before that was a "thing").  I never did learn to eat pork.  Not to say I have never eaten pork, because I have thru inadvertence or because I did not want to hurt someone's feelings.  I like beef in certain forms and am comfortable with chicken, turkey and some fish.   Meat is a two-edged sword from a nutritional and health standpoint.

A little different from my point of view... I am a very big guy, and I cannot survive a vegetarian existence. I know, I have tried it
While I eat tons of garden fresh vegetables, needless to say, I love meat, and eat all sorts: venison, elk, beef, buffalo, sheep, goat, chicken, turkey, pheasant, quail, not to mention trout, perch, bass, pike, and salmon. Though I mainly subsist upon venison. The only kosher meat I don't like much is waterfowl, though I will eat it in a pinch.

But all of it is taken from the wild, or from local farms, range fed, and is of premium quality.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 07:40:46 pm »
Did you read the article @Absalom?
-------------------------------------
Repeating.
Does experience ALWAYS trump instinct?????
Do we not make judgments w/o experience
now, that time proves to be correct later????
The descriptive prejudice, verboten because of political
correctness, is often Man's instinctive nature at work!!!!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 08:27:19 pm »
-------------------------------------
Repeating.
Does experience ALWAYS trump instinct?????
Do we not make judgments w/o experience
now, that time proves to be correct later????
The descriptive prejudice, verboten because of political
correctness, is often Man's instinctive nature at work!!!!

Ah, so that was a "no".