Author Topic: Texas legislator wants to kill Power to Choose website  (Read 632 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas legislator wants to kill Power to Choose website
« on: February 09, 2019, 03:58:50 pm »
Houston Chronicle by  L.M. Sixel Feb. 8, 2019

A state-sponsored website used by millions of Texans to shop for electricity could be on the chopping block, a move consumer watchdogs say could leave consumers with fewer choices and bigger bills.

Texas Rep. Jared Patterson, a freshman Republican who represents Denton County, wants the Public Utility Commission to drop Power to Choose, the website introduced two decades ago when Texas deregulated the electricity industry. Patterson has introduced a bill in the Legislature that would eliminate the website that compares dozens of electricity plans, arguing that the government shouldn't be competing with private businesses.

"Government doesn't offer pricing comparison sites for groceries or car tires, and shouldn't for electricity rates either," said Patterson.

Patterson is director of energy services at Rapid Power Management, an electricity brokerage firm based in Carrollton that buys electricity on behalf of manufacturers and commercial clients.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Texas-legislator-wants-to-kill-Power-to-Choose-13602741.php

I use "Power to Choose" to select around 4 of the lowest plans. I then examine their EFL facts labels to pick the lowest plan.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Texas legislator wants to kill Power to Choose website
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 02:51:51 pm »
Seems Patterson has a big conflict of interest here.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington