Author Topic: Negotiators close to deal as shutdown deadline approaches  (Read 9787 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Negotiators close to deal as shutdown deadline approaches
« on: February 09, 2019, 02:07:51 pm »
 Negotiators close to deal as shutdown deadline approaches

'We’re working the best we can to find that middle ground,' said one of the lead Democratic negotiators.

By HEATHER CAYGLE, SARAH FERRIS and MELANIE ZANONA

02/08/2019 04:14 PM EST

Congressional negotiators say they’re close to reaching a deal to avert a shutdown, with Democrats acknowledging that a final compromise would include funding for border barriers — a concession that could spark rebellion within their party.

Lawmakers and aides, however, said Friday that the conference committee remains several days away from a final border security deal as top spending leaders continued to trade offers back and forth.

Negotiators technically have until Feb. 15 to reach an agreement to stave off another shutdown, but lawmakers insist the practical deadline for any agreement is much earlier in the week.

The current negotiations have narrowed to the most difficult of issues, with Democrats seeking to limit the number of detention beds for undocumented immigrants while Republicans are pushing for the highest funding level for barriers they can get.

more
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/08/border-wall-government-shutdown-1159753
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Negotiators close to deal as shutdown deadline approaches
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 02:27:17 pm »
Either way, we the taxpayers and all future taxpayers get screwed.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 03:09:19 pm »
So where is Mr. Art of the Deal in all this?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 03:32:17 pm »

Doesn't he have to see the budget first?  And, if I remember correctly, that is one issue he didn't run on.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 03:36:04 pm »

He's busy getting the wall built (see linked article below)...letting congress reach an agreement to give him more money for that same wall....and next year, he'll get another multi-billion dollar chunk...and the next year...until it is done. Because the man is relentless...it does not mean he wins every battle or crushes it in every negotiation...but in the end he achieves his goal. He has many traits that are not admirable, but his persistence and relentless pursuit of his goals is THE most admirable trait we could have in a GOP president at this point in time.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/as-border-wall-funding-divides-washington-new-multimillion-dollar-barrier-will-soon-break-ground-in-texas
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 04:50:47 pm »

I think everybody asked him to butt out.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 04:54:38 pm »
He still has a Veto Pen and emergency powers.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 06:09:46 pm »
He's busy getting the wall built (see linked article below)...letting congress reach an agreement to give him more money for that same wall....and next year, he'll get another multi-billion dollar chunk...and the next year...until it is done. Because the man is relentless...it does not mean he wins every battle or crushes it in every negotiation...but in the end he achieves his goal. He has many traits that are not admirable, but his persistence and relentless pursuit of his goals is THE most admirable trait we could have in a GOP president at this point in time.

I agree with your characterization of our President.  He impresses me more and more. 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/as-border-wall-funding-divides-washington-new-multimillion-dollar-barrier-will-soon-break-ground-in-texas
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 06:44:27 pm »
I'm really hoping if Trump doesn't like the 'negotiations' he will veto the bill.  Pelosi has already stated that she will sign whatever they come up with.  So, if she's already in agreement, I'd say it's probably going to be much less than most of us hoped for.

My hunch; 100% DACA amnesty and amnesty for the 11,0000+ already here in exchange for a couple of billion dollars.  We shall see.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 08:03:31 pm »
Either way, we the taxpayers and all future taxpayers get screwed.

I read in New York Times article bollard barriers.  That would be a waste of American Taxpayer money.  No solution.  And we have border cities trying to sue for the razor wire.  Most likely their local governments are controlled by Drug Cartel as it has infiltrated Border Patrol also.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 08:12:30 pm »
I read in New York Times article bollard barriers.  That would be a waste of American Taxpayer money.  No solution.  And we have border cities trying to sue for the razor wire.  Most likely their local governments are controlled by Drug Cartel as it has infiltrated Border Patrol also.

I had to Goggle "bollard barriers."  Those would be worse than useless.  Even worse than the "Normandy Barriers" Pelosi brought up before.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 08:15:43 pm »
I think everybody asked him to butt out.

Maybe, especially after that one meeting when he stormed out like a spoiled two-year-old. 

Here's the thing.  As we know from past negotiations, the Republicans give away the store while the Democrats offer nothing.  I would have thought that, with Trump's supposed expertise at deal making, he would at the very least sit down with the Republicans, let them know exactly what is acceptable and what is not and perhaps offer the benefit of his wisdom in deal making so that we don't end up with spending spree bills like the last few. 

We and they have to realize that there will have to be compromise and perhaps Trump will get only some portion of his monetary demand for the wall.  But I was hoping that under Trump's guidance, Republicans would come out of these negotiations with more than just their appendages in their hands.  He should be more involved and it looks like he isn't.  That's all I'm saying.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 08:25:27 pm »
Maybe, especially after that one meeting when he stormed out like a spoiled two-year-old. 

Here's the thing.  As we know from past negotiations, the Republicans give away the store while the Democrats offer nothing.  I would have thought that, with Trump's supposed expertise at deal making, he would at the very least sit down with the Republicans, let them know exactly what is acceptable and what is not and perhaps offer the benefit of his wisdom in deal making so that we don't end up with spending spree bills like the last few. 

We and they have to realize that there will have to be compromise and perhaps Trump will get only some portion of his monetary demand for the wall.  But I was hoping that under Trump's guidance, Republicans would come out of these negotiations with more than just their appendages in their hands.  He should be more involved and it looks like he isn't.  That's all I'm saying.

I fully expect the bolded part has happened, and I don't expect to be told about it publicly.
I will NOT comply.

Offline bilo

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 08:31:55 pm »

Let's give it time and see what happens. It's been a rough couple months of ups and downs. I know for me one day I'm behind Trump 100% and the next I think he's sold us out. It's enough to make you crazy.

I think the SOTU speech helped a lot and identifying where the funds will come from to build the wall without declaring a national emergency has also created a pressure on the Rats to agree to something. The Rats are more boxed in than we realize. If Trump exercises his legal authority to divert funds to construction of the wall where law enforcement has identified drug smuggling is incurring the Rats have no legal recourse. I'm sure they can judge shop, but no matter how the media spins it the Rats will be seen as the party that supports drug smuggling and human trafficking.

I suspect the Rats will try to "compromise" with the original amount of 1.7 billion and Trump is going to demand more. If Trump agrees I wonder if he'll use that money in areas that have not been identified as drug smuggling routes and then exercise his executive authority to spend other monies to build the wall in drug smuggling areas.

We will see.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 08:33:17 pm »

:amen:
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 08:33:29 pm »

There are various different types of bollard barriers.  Obviously some better than others for this purpose.  Certainly not the concrete wall that has been promised, but IF border patrol were to agree that this type of barrier would assist them, then I'd say its a win.  If this barrier is deemed useless by border patrol, then we are wasting the taxpayers money.

https://www.grainger.com/category/security/access-barriers-and-crowd-control/bollards

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 08:35:02 pm »
I had to Goggle "bollard barriers."  Those would be worse than useless.  Even worse than the "Normandy Barriers" Pelosi brought up before.

Here is the article

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/08/us/politics/government-shutdown-deal.html
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 08:37:41 pm »
There are various different types of bollard barriers.  Obviously some better than others for this purpose.  Certainly not the concrete wall that has been promised, but IF border patrol were to agree that this type of barrier would assist them, then I'd say its a win.  If this barrier is deemed useless by border patrol, then we are wasting the taxpayers money.

https://www.grainger.com/category/security/access-barriers-and-crowd-control/bollards

They use them in New York and other places to stop cars. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 08:52:39 pm »

They would be good if we had a vehicular invasion problem, but this is pedestrians.  Lots and lots of pedestrians.   They'll just walk around the columns.
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 08:53:18 pm »

Precisely.  That's not what we need.
I will NOT comply.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 09:01:26 pm »

Ok my thinking; approve the bollards with construction exceptions:  5 ft of concrete wall to support 5 ft. of bollard barrier with barbed-wire at the top?  I don't know, I'm not an engineer.

Right now @Chosen Daughter I am trying to be optimistic. Again, my concern is hoping that there is no language in the bill that allows any kind of amnesty.

I would hope that if the fence is lame and wouldn't do the job, he won't accept it.  His best shot then would be to strike the language that mandates the type of wall, and ask for additional money. The DEMS are going to start with a ridiculously low figure and he knows it. The House bill has to make it through the Senate anyways.

Final call is the President's. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 09:08:09 pm »
Jersey Barriers have been suggested, and they won't stop a single illegal alien.  Same for Normandy Barriers and dittos these "Bollard Barriers."

We're not trying to stop vehicles, it's pedestrians, who can just walk around, over or through the kinds I mentioned above.  Sure, we need to stop some vehicles, but the primary invasion is on foot, not mechanized.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 09:11:00 pm »

According to Nancy Pelosi he stormed out, according to him and his staff he just left when it was clear she wasn't going to negotiate.  Who you gonna believe?   :shrug:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 09:12:27 pm »
Jersey Barriers have been suggested, and they won't stop a single illegal alien.  Same for Normandy Barriers and dittos these "Bollard Barriers."

We're not trying to stop vehicles, it's pedestrians, who can just walk around, over or through the kinds I mentioned above.  Sure, we need to stop some vehicles, but the primary invasion is on foot, not mechanized.

All of those would have to be reinforced in some way to be effective.

I can't see the President giving approval and I would hope that those type of barriers would be dead in the Senate.  IF Congress continues to play games, then Trump needs to declare a national emergency.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 09:14:40 pm »
All of those would have to be reinforced in some way to be effective.

I can't see the President giving approval and I would hope that those type of barriers would be dead in the Senate.  IF Congress continues to play games, then Trump needs to declare a national emergency.

Reinforced?  They'd have to build a fence around them for them to work.   :laugh: