Author Topic: Negotiators close to deal as shutdown deadline approaches  (Read 9779 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Negotiators close to deal as shutdown deadline approaches
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2019, 10:37:49 pm »
Lol Ouch.  I can honestly say I have felt your pain.  And I have the ER bill to prove it!

Try it some time with a 3lb anvil hammer and a spike 1/2"x12"... That'll wake you up.
Do that a few times and you figure out how to aim real good.

:beer:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2019, 10:41:14 pm »
I used to sink a 16d sinker in a set and a swing, and do it all day long...
Even with a Vaughn (better with an Estwing). And I've got the waffle prints on my thumbs to prove it!
@roamer_1
I swung a hammer next to a couple of honest to God framers, and I..........was embarrassed, I thought I was strong but nothing equals experience and the endurance years of repetition give! You can swing a hammer all day and wear yourself out with not much to show for it, especially when you are doing it next to an experience framer. Made me glad that most of the time I was running copper or installing Lab fixtures. Same goes for hanging drywall, and why I agree with Mike Rowe and also why I am more concerned with these jobs going to illegals instead of our kids. I have nothing but respect for those that have mastered a trade, hell my dad mastered two, the second when he was into his forties!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:43:36 pm by GtHawk »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2019, 10:49:58 pm »
Try it some time with a 3lb anvil hammer and a spike 1/2"x12"... That'll wake you up.

@roamer_1 m
Nah.  The permanent waffle imprint is as good as it gets for me..... I hung up my framing hammer a few years later.  The pain is gone but the finger tattoo survives.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2019, 10:52:17 pm »
I swung a hammer next to a couple of honest to God framers, and I..........was embarrassed, I thought I was strong but nothing equals experience and the endurance years of repetition give! You can swing a hammer all day and wear yourself out with not much to show for it, especially when you are doing it next to an experience framer. Made me glad that most of the time I was running copper or installing Lab fixtures. Same goes for hanging drywall, and why I agree with Mike Rowe and also why I am more concerned with these jobs going to illegals instead of our kids.

@GtHawk
I've been all the way around home construction - from concrete to paint and cabinets... But I used to love framing and timber framing. Nail guns took the art out of it though... I made that transition... even in trim, where I can't even tell you how many 4d and 6d brights I set with a nail set... Surely boxes and boxes of em.

Now folks hardly know what a nail set it for, not too mention something critical like running a hand plane or a slick chisel...

And yeah, I agree - there ain't a better thing for a young man to get into... I started doing cleanup and learned all the way up from masters. It is altogether too dang bad it ain't that way no more.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:55:05 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2019, 11:12:19 pm »

No thanks!  I'll continue to stick to what I'm good at and drivin nails or spikes for a livin ain't it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2019, 11:14:01 pm »
No thanks!  I'll continue to stick to what I'm good at and drivin nails or spikes for a livin ain't it!

Are you sure?
It'll teach you how to dance...  :laugh:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2019, 11:17:12 pm »
Are you sure?
It'll teach you how to dance...  :laugh:

Yes sir!  Damned sure in fact!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2019, 11:17:53 pm »
He's not ignorant of anything! He is a professional troll!
About time someone recognized me as a professional

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2019, 11:26:51 pm »
About time someone recognized me as a professional

They recognize hookers as professionals.  At least that is an honest profession.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:32:48 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.