Author Topic: Spotlight returns to Roberts on abortion  (Read 1061 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Spotlight returns to Roberts on abortion
« on: February 09, 2019, 01:39:21 pm »
Spotlight returns to Roberts on abortion
By Lydia Wheeler and Jessie Hellmann - 02/09/19 06:00 AM EST

Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts disappointed conservatives Thursday by siding with the court’s liberal wing to block a Louisiana abortion law that’s almost identical to the Texas one he voted to uphold in 2016.

Roberts has become the fulcrum of the high court since swing voter Justice Anthony Kennedy retired in July, catapulting him into the spotlight as the deciding justice on hot button social issues.

With Thursday’s decision on the Louisiana law, which requires abortion providers to have admitting privileges at nearby hospitals, Roberts has raised doubts among some conservatives about whether they have a reliable conservative majority after President Trump's successful appointments of Justices Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh.

“It does give me a little pause,” said Travis Weber, vice president for policy at the Family Research Council, who questioned if Roberts’s vote for staying the abortion law was influenced by the politics of the debate.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/429229-spotlight-returns-to-roberts-on-abortion
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Spotlight returns to Roberts on abortion
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 02:35:29 pm »
After Roberts rewrote Obamacare to approve it?
Why, No.
No, we don't have a reliable conservative majority on the SCOTUS.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 03:39:41 pm »
@Bigun posted an article on another thread of why Roberts is compromised.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 04:20:48 pm »
@Bigun posted an article on another thread of why Roberts is compromised.

Article is Here.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 04:26:33 pm »
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 04:31:14 pm »
Roberts is a Soros proxy. There is no need to fret over law or arguments or the constitution. All you need to know is which side of the debate Nancy Pelosi favors, and that is how Roberts votes every time. However Pelosi or Soros would vote is how Roberts will vote.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 05:55:32 pm »
This Bush appointed maggot is going to disappoint many conservatives for decades to come.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 06:00:14 pm »
After Roberts rewrote Obamacare to approve it?
Why, No.
No, we don't have a reliable conservative majority on the SCOTUS.

Trump needs to be able to appoint another Justice during his first term. I don't think Ginsburg can hang in but she's fooled me before.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 06:34:36 pm »
Trump needs to be able to appoint another Justice during his first term. I don't think Ginsburg can hang in but she's fooled me before.
No disagreement here. But it must be a Conservative. The Democrats will try to stall.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 07:59:35 pm »
I haven't been following Gorsuch or Kavanaugh enough to make a determination as to the way they've been ruling.  Roberts indeed is a huge disappointment.  I had heard that Kavanaugh wasn't on the original list that Trump had.  While I don't approve of the treatment Kavanaugh received from the left, I'm not quite sure about him.  Time will certainly tell.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 08:12:20 pm »
Article is Here.

Thanks for posting that it was a great read and does provide a good explanation why Roberts won't rule against any controversial issue.

I can't help but wonder why the Bush admn., didn't investigate any of this prior to his nomination, at a minimum they should have examined the adoption records.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 08:14:57 pm »
I haven't been following Gorsuch or Kavanaugh enough to make a determination as to the way they've been ruling.  Roberts indeed is a huge disappointment.  I had heard that Kavanaugh wasn't on the original list that Trump had.  While I don't approve of the treatment Kavanaugh received from the left, I'm not quite sure about him.  Time will certainly tell.

I'm with you. He is too much of a lifelong DC insider. Time will tell.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 09:00:10 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 09:12:16 pm »
I can't help but wonder why the Bush admn., didn't investigate any of this prior to his nomination, at a minimum they should have examined the adoption records.
I think Bush is happy with the way Roberts is ruling. Bush was what is called a 'reach across the aisle' Republican. Which means he is essentially a pro-illegal Liberal Globalist, like his whole family is. 'Thousand points of light'...and all that stuff. In my opinion, Bush is happy with his choice.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 09:21:31 pm »
Remind me again how it was, that he the court's 'Rookie', became "Chief Justice"?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 09:25:15 pm »
Remind me again how it was, that he the court's 'Rookie', became "Chief Justice"?

I didn't understand this at the time and still don't @DCPatriot

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 09:35:35 pm »

How did they vote on this?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 09:52:30 pm »
How did they vote on this?

Gorsuch and Kavanaugh voted against the stay.  In fact, Kavanaugh wrote the dissenting opinion @Chosen Daughter

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 09:55:35 pm »
Gorsuch and Kavanaugh voted against the stay.  In fact, Kavanaugh wrote the dissenting opinion @Chosen Daughter

Good, thank you.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 09:56:52 pm »
@libertybele
@Chosen Daughter

Gorsuch and Kavanaugh both went with the dissent. However, the Kavanaugh opinion was based upon whether Louisiana law would test the ‘undue burden’ portion of the decision from the previous case, Planned Parenthood v. Casey, in a 45 day transition period. Since we will not have that time frame for evaluation, we really don’t know, definitively, where he stands on it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:58:20 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline bilo

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 10:41:07 pm »
I think Bush is happy with the way Roberts is ruling. Bush was what is called a 'reach across the aisle' Republican. Which means he is essentially a pro-illegal Liberal Globalist, like his whole family is. 'Thousand points of light'...and all that stuff. In my opinion, Bush is happy with his choice.

Unfortunately, your probably right.

Roberts is just another example of why counting on the courts, especially the SCOTUS, to protect individual liberty is a crap shoot at best.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 11:56:48 pm »
Unfortunately, your probably right.

Roberts is just another example of why counting on the courts, especially the SCOTUS, to protect individual liberty is a crap shoot at best.

That would change very quickly if congress would do its damned job.

I know!  People in hell want ice water.

- J. R. R. Tolkien