Author Topic: Zoning Makes the Green New Deal Impossible  (Read 694 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Zoning Makes the Green New Deal Impossible
« on: February 09, 2019, 12:02:33 pm »
Reason.com
Christian Britschgi|Feb. 8, 2019 5:20 pm

[excerpt]

http://reason.com/blog/2019/02/08/zoning-makes-the-green-new-deal-impossib

[snip]

"Current zoning absolutely stands in the way of allowing more people to live in high cost areas that are already close to transit," says Emily Hamilton, a scholar at George Mason University's Mercatus Center.

Most major American cities have imposed single-family zoning—which allows for a single dwelling per property to be built—on a majority of urban residential land, says Hamilton. This puts an artificial cap on the number of new homes that can be built.

It forces people to live farther away from each other than they might otherwise want to, making it harder to service all of them effectively by transit. That presents a problem when one's vision is so dependent on people giving up their carbon-spewing cars.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: Zoning Makes the Green New Deal Impossible
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 08:26:46 pm »

It forces people to live farther away from each other than they might otherwise want to, making it harder to service all of them effectively by transit. That presents a problem when one's vision is so dependent on people giving up their carbon-spewing cars. 

For the record, any place where I can actually see and hearing neighbor is too close.  I do not get this business of living right on top of each other.  It makes people crazy.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 08:32:31 pm »
For the record, any place where I can actually see and hearing neighbor is too close.  I do not get this business of living right on top of each other.  It makes people crazy.

"Inside every Progressive is a Totalitarian screaming to get out."
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 02:09:57 am »
"Current zoning absolutely stands in the way of allowing more people to live in high cost areas that are already close to transit," says Emily Hamilton, a scholar at George Mason University's Mercatus Center.

Don't take much to see where arguments like this are leading...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 04:40:57 am »

That's right.
I am just outside of town now, but still way too close. I can't wait to be on the end of a gravel road again somewhere.

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 07:53:22 pm »
Zoning laws can be amended.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.