Author Topic: Jemele Hill: I 'in no way' meant to suggest assassinating Trump  (Read 1092 times)

Offline mountaineer

Jemele Hill: I 'in no way' meant to suggest assassinating Trump
« on: February 08, 2019, 01:04:27 pm »
She's just the gift that keeps on giving. Even ESPN couldn't take anymore of her nonsense.
Jemele Hill: I 'in no way' meant to suggest assassinating Trump
 by Claude Thompson
 | February 07, 2019 02:58 PM

Jemele Hill, a writer for the Atlantic, now says a tweet that alluded to a possible assassination of President Trump during the State of the Union Tuesday night was not meant to be threatening.

"When I tweeted 'GETCHO HAND OUT MY POCKET,' in no way was I suggesting any physical harm to the president," Hill tweeted Wednesday evening. "I have used this phrase many times in my Twitter history, always in lighthearted ways, and removed from the context of the movie."

The film that Hill is referring to is "Malcolm X" starring Denzel Washington as Malcolm X who was murdered in 1965. Three members of the Nation of Islam, the group for which he was spokesman and had criticized the year before he was killed, were convicted in the killing.

In the 1992 movie, adapted from reported events, Malcolm X was killed at a speaking event where individuals in the audience started a commotion, yelling, "Get your hand out of my pocket!" When Malcolm X's bodyguards moved to break up the fight, Malcolm X was shot by a man with a sawed-off shotgun and then shot repeatedly by two men with handguns.  ...
Full story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

Re: Jemele Hill: I 'in no way' meant to suggest assassinating Trump
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 03:13:17 pm »
Black agitators like Hill have a burning hatred of Trump. In reality, they hate all Republicans, but they seem to have a special, vicious hatred for Trump.
Probably when Trump called the kneelers SOBs. Which they are, although a president of the U.S. shouldn't say that....publicly at least.
Nevertheless,  Hill is just another ungrateful little wretch who has absolutely no idea how lucky she was to be making millions babbling about sports. So she decided to foul her own nest.
She's far from the only one on ESPN.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 03:28:26 pm »
Although creative, that was clearly what she meant. If she had said it about Obama, she would be looking for another job she would never get.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 03:30:57 pm »
I have used this phrase many times in my Twitter history, always in lighthearted ways

Yeah. That's a common punch line. Abbott and Costello used to do the Hand in the Pocket routine in the 40's.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 04:16:43 pm »
@QueenCatofAragon

This person thought there could be violence/murder at the State of the Union speech and put it on tweeter.

I thought the same thing.  I was worried due to all the important government people there, if a terrorist managed to get in, Trump would be gone plus others.

I am also worried about him meeting Kim (North Korea leader) in Vietnam.  They haven't decided which of two cities in Vietnam will host the meeting but now bad guys know it will be in Vietnam in one of those cities and they will know which one and the date. 

I am worried about Air Force One getting attacked in the air going there and his safety while there.  Why go to such a place where bad guys already hate us due to the Vietnam war and it is likely bad guys are already living there or they can easily get there.  It would be easier to protect him in a country that is already a safer place than Vietnam. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:18:06 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 04:35:52 pm »
A look back at what led to Hill losing her job at ESPN:
... On Monday afternoon the network suspended commentator Jemele Hill for two weeks for a series of tweets she made Sunday night calling for an advertiser boycott of the Cowboys following Dallas owner and GM Jerry Jones saying his players will stand for the national anthem and not disrespect the flag, and if they do, the player or players will not play.  ...
Sports Illustrated, Oct. 9, 2017

Oh yes, and this:
... It was against that backdrop, and following the violent white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va., that Hill fired off a barrage of tweets that landed her in serious trouble. In one, she called the President of the United States a "white supremacist."
    Donald Trump is a white supremacist who has largely surrounded himself w/ other white supremacists.
    — Jemele Hill (@jemelehill) September 11, 2017
A White House spokeswoman called for Hill to be fired and, later, President Trump lambasted her on Twitter. (There was plenty of rancor among Hill's ESPN colleagues regarding the network's decision not to punish her.)  ...
NPR, Jan. 4, 2018
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 04:52:39 pm »
@QueenCatofAragon

This person thought there could be violence/murder at the State of the Union speech and put it on tweeter.

I thought the same thing.  I was worried due to all the important government people there, if a terrorist managed to get in, Trump would be gone plus others.

I am also worried about him meeting Kim (North Korea leader) in Vietnam.  They haven't decided which of two cities in Vietnam will host the meeting but now bad guys know it will be in Vietnam in one of those cities and they will know which one and the date. 

I am worried about Air Force One getting attacked in the air going there and his safety while there.  Why go to such a place where bad guys already hate us due to the Vietnam war and it is likely bad guys are already living there or they can easily get there.  It would be easier to protect him in a country that is already a safer place than Vietnam.

I don't know what time warp you just walked out of. Thinking it was 1975. Today Charlie loves us. I know people who go their for vacation so they can get custom suits made for pennies on the dollar. Charlie loves him some dollar bills.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 04:56:16 pm »
I don't know what time warp you just walked out of. Thinking it was 1975. Today Charlie loves us. I know people who go their for vacation so they can get custom suits made for pennies on the dollar. Charlie loves him some dollar bills.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.