Author Topic: Supreme Court blocks Louisiana abortion law as John Roberts joins liberal justices in 5-4 ruling  (Read 11069 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@txradioguy

HorseHillary! It is ALL about your religious conditioning.

What religious conditioning?  Again your flailing there PP...you have to toss in your flaming straw man to avoid reality. 

Oh and I'm lucky if I make it to church twice a year.  But I get it that in your little twisted progressive mind that makes me some kind of spittle flinging bible thumping zealot.

Your hatred and bigotry won't let you see anything else.  Your anti religious stance fits well with your progressive outlook on murdering an unborn child.

BTW,your toenails grow and so does your hair. Have you named them all?

Non Sequitur there Progressive Pete.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 10:42:37 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Fetus, one can get into a debate about it's meaning, am I to just take it from a dictionary anyway? We know what it means, an unborn child.

Then, in fairness, you have other sources but I always heard it meant "little one" and that sounds a bit the way Latin languages translate into English, bambino and so on.

Fetus:
http://latin-dictionary.net/search/latin/fetus

@TomSea

Key words "DEVELOPING human form". In plain English,it means it is not a human yet.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline goodwithagun

@TomSea

Key words "DEVELOPING human form". In plain English,it means it is not a human yet.

Then what is it, an apple pie?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

A cancerous malignant growth no doubt.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

Chief Judas Roberts strikes again.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Smokin Joe

Another way to say the same thing is "you have a POTENTIAL human being,just developing."

If it isn't a human being, then what, pray tell, is it?

A cow? A duck? A rabid raccoon? One of Alec Badwin's gerbils?

It's a human being.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

@TomSea

By that logic, no human is ever human. We develop through stages all our life.

So where do you draw the line? Suckling? Puberty? Twenties? Menopause? Senility? Is everyone else fair game?

Oh, wait, all you have to do is move the goalposts on who is considered 'human'.

The world has been there before, we fought it, and yet here it is here at home enshrined by misguided people as an alleged "Right". What people who practice genocide against themselves will survive?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

It's not a child until it is born.
Then tell me how someone who murders a pregnant woman, whose child does not survive, faces two counts of murder?

Can't have it both ways.

C S Lewis

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
I worked as an RN in the operating room at a Catholic hospital and later at a surgery center. The Catholic Hospital did not perform abortions but did handle the death of a baby in utero and they did with respect for the life that ended.

The surgery center didn't perform abortions either but one day a doctor insisted on bringing in a fetal death at 14 weeks. Surgery centers do not have blood banks or an ICU. The staff was horrified that this procedure would be done in our facility. I had to assist or lose my job. The human heart starts to beat at three weeks and one day, and all organs are formed by eight weeks.  Something went wrong with the pregnancy. The appearance was that of a baby. And it was too large to be delivered whole with the method used. It was my worst day in the OR. And if anything went wrong, there would be no way to transfuse the mother.

Abortion clinics have no access to the things needed in an emergency and this bill that the compromised Roberts blocked would have protected mothers.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I worked as an RN in the operating room at a Catholic hospital and later at a surgery center. The Catholic Hospital did not perform abortions but did handle the death of a baby in utero and they did with respect for the life that ended.

The surgery center didn't perform abortions either but one day a doctor insisted on bringing in a fetal death at 14 weeks. Surgery centers do not have blood banks or an ICU. The staff was horrified that this procedure would be done in our facility. I had to assist or lose my job. The human heart starts to beat at three weeks and one day, and all organs are formed by eight weeks.  Something went wrong with the pregnancy. The appearance was that of a baby. And it was too large to be delivered whole with the method used. It was my worst day in the OR. And if anything went wrong, there would be no way to transfuse the mother.

Abortion clinics have no access to the things needed in an emergency and this bill that the compromised Roberts blocked would have protected mothers.

Interesting, thanks for the insight.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Interesting, thanks for the insight.

@TomSea
No problem. The left claims to worry about the mother yet don't want access to a nearby hospital if something goes wrong.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline goodwithagun

By that logic, no human is ever human. We develop through stages all our life.

So where do you draw the line? Suckling? Puberty? Twenties? Menopause? Senility? Is everyone else fair game?

Oh, wait, all you have to do is move the goalposts on who is considered 'human'.

The world has been there before, we fought it, and yet here it is here at home enshrined by misguided people as an alleged "Right". What people who practice genocide against themselves will survive?

You nailed it.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Hoodat

What if he genuinely believes the LA law may be unConstitutional as an effective abrogation of a Constitutional right?   If the State of Louisiana can effectively regulate abortion clinics out of existence on the pretense of "safety"

The State of Louisiana can already regulate hospitals out of existence because of safety.  They can also regulate factories, movie theaters, chemical plants, schools, and even your own house out of existence because of safety.  Why is an abortion clinic any different?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Billed as "common sense safety", the LA law requires abortionists to have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital,  notwithstanding the reality that almost all first trimester abortions do not require hospitalization.

There are instances that do require hospitalization - incidents where the uterus is perforated, or where uncontrolled hemorrhaging results.  In those instances, a doctor will need admitting privileges to protect the life of a female patient who may not be conscious.

Pretend that's instead a "common sense public safety" rule intended to make it harder for gun stores to operate,  say a rule that the gun store owner be strictly liable for the medical expenses of persons shot with the guns it sells.

I know of no medical procedure that takes place in a gun store.  But if one did, the State would have every right to regulate it.

Constitutional?   I think you know the answer.

Still waiting for you to show us what part of the Constitution denies a State the right to regulate medical clinics.

A woman must have a meaningful and effective right to choose.

Must have?  Based on what, exactly?

Just think if there were only 1 - 3 places in the State of Louisiana where you could buy a gun to protect your family!

You obviously don't know squat about the State of Louisiana.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Whether you like it or not,  both the right to keep and bear arms and the right to choose whether to reproduce are rights protected under the Constitution.

I see the right to keep and bear arms written explicitly in Amendment II, but I can't find your right to abortion written anywhere.  As for your silly "right to choose whether to reproduce" argument, it is clearly obvious that this right is granted to women, yet denied to men.  Thus it violates equal protection, and thus violates the Constitution.  Maybe when men are granted abortion rights as their choice whether to reproduced, then maybe your point can be taken seriously.  But for now, there is absolutely positively nothing Constitutional about abortion.  Not that this has anything to do with it.  This case is purely about whether the State of Louisiana has a right to regulate abortion clinics.  And per the Constitution, they do.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Isn't this Roberts a gem. I want to be the first to say how awesome GW Bush is for nominating this piece of shit.
W liked him so much he nominated him twice. Once for SC, then before confirmation hearings, did it again for CJ of SC.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

@Bigun
Are you SERIOUSLY trying to claim there is no mention of the right of privacy in the Bill of Rights?

There is no mention of the right of privacy in the Bill of Rights.  Not that any of this has a thing to do with privacy.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

The fact that a law is "duly legislated" doesn't make it Constitutional.   The standard you propose would allow the left, were they to gain the power, to run roughshod over our rights.
And the fact it is Constitutional does not mean it will not be overturned.

The liberal states are already recognizing the short shelf life remaining on R vs W Constitutionality and are enacting state legislation in response.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Spoken like a man.  Just point and shoot, and leave the woman to deal with the problem.   

During the first trimester,  the choice whether to reproduce is solely that of the woman.   
And the choice to reproduce is solely that of the woman unless rape is involved. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Chief Judas Roberts strikes again.

@dfwgator @Smokin Joe @txradioguy

As to what happened to Robert, this is the best compilation of stories about that that I have found to date.

How Roberts Was Blackmailed To Support ObamaCare

https://libertyborn.wordpress.com/2015/03/02/how-roberts-was-blackmailed-to-support-obamacare/?fbclid=IwAR3Q7PESA9TuXFtAEVoHHvlgYVmm1_kfDA0qtT146eoH788WxbP1bLyFRh8
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@goodwithagun

I don't know. Why don't you eat one and get back with us on that?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If it isn't a human being, then what, pray tell, is it?

A cow? A duck? A rabid raccoon? One of Alec Badwin's gerbils?

It's a human being.

@Smokin Joe

You know damn well it isn't a human being until it is born,but your religious bias will never allow you to even admit it to yourself,so I am done wasting my time trying to discuss it with you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@TomSea
No problem. The left claims to worry about the mother yet don't want access to a nearby hospital if something goes wrong.

@austingirl

The one thing the left and the religious right share is a love of dogma. Neither will EVER admit to even the possibility of being wrong.

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

You know damn well it isn't a human being until it is born,but your religious bias will never allow you to even admit it to yourself,so I am done wasting my time trying to discuss it with you.
You assert religious bias, but I am talking about simple genetics. Hardly a religious bias.

Pete, the only religious bias here is your ANTI-religious bias. I get that, you have run into some hypocrites who have not only not lived up to their pious claims, but maybe used that position to injure people, perhaps getting very personal, and you hate them and the God they claimed to represent over it. That makes as much sense as hating Ford or Chevy or Dodge because you ran into some dealers who were crooks and jerks, but it's your Right to believe what you believe, for whatever reason you believe it.

But, since I am a scientist, let's get something straight.

Regardless of what I may believe about how everything came into being, it doesn't change the fact that a human sperm and a human egg combined produce a human being and nothing else.

It works the same way for any species which engages in sexual reproduction.

In fact, it is so specific, that for most species, you can't combine two different species and get a critter at all, and with critters with similar DNA, if you do, it is a hybrid that can't reproduce. (Ligers, Hinnies, Zorses, mules, beefalos), but get dissimilar enough, and you won't get anything at all.

In nature, it takes a genetic contribution from one of each sex, and when those are combined, you get another member of that species. Whatever embryo that results is known by its species, It might be a chicken embryo, a dog embryo, but it is still a chicken or a dog. Nothing else will result, unless you kill it. The fetal pigs dissected in comparative anatomy classes in pre-med are still pigs.
That isn't religion, it isn't a religious bias, it's Biology.

The genetics determine the nature of the offspring.
Incidentally, those same genetics determine whether a child is male of female, and no amount of addadictomie/lopitoff surgery, hormone manipulation, mental illness, and social cruelty will make it anything else. The process isn't completely perfect, there are mutations, genetic damage, even bad genes contributed by one parent or the other which can lead to variations in human form, but the whole genetic thing has been pretty well mapped out, at least at the basic level.
You can play games with when you call the result of two humans mating a human being, but either that ovum and sperm combine or they don't. If they don't--nothing happens. If they do, a human being results whether you decide to play definition games and not consider them "human" when they are conceived, until they are born, until they wear long pants, until they can vote, until their IQ reaches a certain level, whatever games you want to play with deciding to call the result "human" the result is the same: a human.

The deception of calling the result less than human just makes it more palatable to the average person who doesn't want the actual blood on their hands to farm out a license to kill, whether the 'subhumans' be the unborn, people from another tribe of humans, or another race, that gimmick has been used to justify subjugation, robbery, enslavement, and slaughter since people started killing people.

Now, though, it is being used to kill three times as many Americans as were killed in the industrially efficient genocide mills of the 1940s, which incidentally, used the same logic to justify their actions--that the victims were less than human.

Once you let that argument stand, all you have to do to justify killing anyone is move the goalposts and change the definition of who is or isn't "human". It is almost always someone the people writing the definition want to rip off, whether that be for their land, their gold, their art, or their very lives.

Aside from that biological argument, though, there is the fact that legally, (as I mentioned), if someone kills a pregnant woman, they can be charged with two murders--one for the mom, and one for the infant.
Legally, that victim of murder is considered human; another human life has been taken.

Otherwise, it'd be like shooting a tumor, a "mass of tissue", and from warts to cancer, we kill tumors--"masses of tissue"-- every day.

How, in the one case, can killing the little human inside be deemed cause for a murder charge, and in another case, be just shredded "tissue" in the waste bin--even if you can count the fingers and toes? That's legally inconsistent.

So, from implanted zygote to embryo to fetus to newborn to toddler to child to teenager (pre- and post-pubescent) to premenopausal (reproductively viable) adult to to postmenopausal adult to senior to rickety old fart, the result is still genetically (scientifically) human, all else is just a matter of terminology and legal definition.
Even defining that embryo, less visually recognizable as a human being at that stage of development a 'less than human' doesn't justify the destruction of those after 8 weeks of development (now called a fetus) who are recognizably human, who have developed genitalia, fingers, toes, etc., and definitely not those who could survive a natural birth (or c-section), given basic support given to those born early. Two of my great grandchildren were born at 33 weeks due to complications (twins). They continued to develop and are in school now. The latest laws would allow the killing of children older, more fully developed, and even more likely to survive without any neonatal care beyond that given for a 'natural' full term birth.

While any sub group of humans can be excluded from that semantic definition of "human", and historically have been to justify murder on a grand scale, no slaughter so has been so grand in the history of the planet as that of the abortion mills right here in the USA. Keep in mind that other instances of slaughter on a grand scale were justified by first defining those to be killed as somehow less than "human", and it would be inconsistent to say that this is any different, just this time the victims can't fight back.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

The big problem I have with legalized abortion, as Ii have with other issues, is that once one  previously unacceptable thing is legitimized, there is this tendency to want to legalize even more odious things.  In PA, medical marijuana has been legalized.  Now there is a push to legalize recreational marijuana.  Give an inch, they will take a yard.

We are seeing this with abortion.  First, abortions were restricted to the first trimester.  Now we have laws that make it ok to kill the baby after it's born.  What next?  Do we do away with the mentally deficient, the disabled, the old people?  Government-run health care in many parts of the world already restricts care for those who "cost too much."  And with euthanasia gaining acceptance in some parts of the world, before long those who are too sick (the "undesirables") will simply be killed off.  Don't think it won't happen here.  If our government assumes complete control over our health care, you can be sure Grandpa with the bad heart won't be around much longer. 

Legalizing abortion has put this country on a slippery slope.  We are rapidly sliding down the hill into the abyss.