Author Topic: A Swamp Divided: How Trump's Arrival Turned D.C. Nightlife Upside Down  (Read 412 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a26016237/dc-restaurants-bars-republicans-democrats-donald-trump/

Washington is one of the only places in America where an election transforms the city’s social life. Plenty of people live here with no regard for who occupies the White House, but a lot of social networks get rewired when a new president comes to town and brings along thousands of ideological kin. In the Kennedy and Johnson eras, official Washington took its cues from the White House: Glamorous dinner parties were in vogue under JFK, followed by more down-home barbecues under LBJ. No matter the president, though, guest lists tended to span both parties, and the fraternizing helped keep the government’s gears and levers well-enough oiled.

But in the Reagan-Bush eighties, social life in D. C., just as in the rest of the country, began to polarize, with the newly empowered conservatives who arrived with Ronald Reagan making a show of shunning D. C.’s establishment (though Nancy still loved entertaining her Hollywood friends at the White House). A pattern set in: Democratic presidents and their aides were quick to mingle with the city’s mostly liberal establishment, and Republicans were isolated from it. But even though George W. Bush was in bed before 10:00 p.m., and despite the culture clash experienced by his Texas clan, members of his administration were not pariahs. He and Nancy Pelosi, who became Speaker of the House during his second term, had a surprisingly good relationship, one nourished by White House social events that helped prevent a total breakdown in governing. It was an echo of the now-legendary comity between Reagan and Tip O’Neill, who sometimes hashed out legislative differences over whiskey.
ELLE And Bottega Veneta Women In Washington Dinner
Juleanna Glover
Paul Morigi/Getty Images   

The Trump era is different. Washington feels more like occupied territory, and every social interaction is fraught with ideological and even moral questions about whether it is appropriate to mingle with people who defend the indefensible: lying, attacking reporters as enemies of the people, putting children in cages, assisting in the cover-up of the murder of Jamal Khashoggi. Take Juleanna Glover, one of the city’s most well-known hostesses. Her home has become a sort of oasis where the list is scrupulously scrubbed of most Trump guests. And Glover is no left-winger; she worked for John Ashcroft and Dick Cheney. Indeed, her parties these days are often the center of D. C.’s #NeverTrump conservative resistance, as was the case at a book party she threw for Rick Wilson, the Republican consultant who recently published the best seller Everything Trump Touches Dies. “We can call them the uncontaminated,” Glover joked. “Pulling together the like-minded makes people hopeful. You’re aggregating the intellectually disciplined and principled. But it’s also deeply siloing.”

Sally Quinn, the author and Washington Post journalist who is still the city’s most famous dinner-party hostess and a historian of D. C.’s elite social life, is another who has taken a stand. “Someone asked me, ‘Would you ever invite the Trumps to your house?’ The fact is I couldn’t,” she said. “It would be embracing everything I’m against. And I haven’t been to an actual dinner party in two years where any of the Trump officials are. Trump doesn’t need to build a wall; he’s built one here.”

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: A Swamp Divided: How Trump's Arrival Turned D.C. Nightlife Upside Down
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 04:15:03 am »
LOL. As soon as I read the title it looked like the same shit the Swampers trot out every time a GOP'er is in the WH. This one is especially hilarious because this idiot praises W Bush for being such a swell fellow. What a load of shit. I'm damn glad their little social network is a shitshow of hate and sadness. Eff every last one of them. I hope they all choke on their Gibson onions.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 04:16:49 am »
LOL. As soon as I read the title it looked like the same shit the Swampers trot out every time a GOP'er is in the WH. This one is especially hilarious because this idiot praises W Bush for being such a swell fellow. What a load of shit. I'm damn glad their little social network is a shitshow of hate and sadness. Eff every last one of them. I hope they all choke on their Gibson onions.

888high58888  888high58888  888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 04:37:20 am »
People still drink Gibsons?  That shit went out with JFK and shit
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 04:44:24 am »
People still drink Gibsons?  That shit went out with JFK and shit

Yeah and so did Sally Quinn, but she is still a thing in DC.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 04:45:48 am »
Yeah and so did Sally Quinn, but she is still a thing in DC.

A thing?  Like a B rated movie The Thing?  Or The Blob!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 05:15:17 am »
A thing?  Like a B rated movie The Thing?  Or The Blob!

Judging from her latest picture she is more like the poorly built VW Thing.