Author Topic: Jeff Bezos accuses National Enquirer publisher of blackmail  (Read 4291 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Jeff Bezos accuses National Enquirer publisher of blackmail
« on: February 08, 2019, 01:31:04 am »
Mini-breaking news story.

Jeff Bezos accuses National Enquirer publisher of blackmail

By Matt Day and Gerry Smith Bloomberg News  February 07, 2019

Amazon.com Inc. chief executive Jeff Bezos on Thursday accused the National Enquirer and its owner David Pecker of extortion and blackmail.

The magazine published an expose of Bezos’ alleged relationship with TV personality Lauren Sanchez, and Bezos has hired investigators to find out if the story was politically motivated. He owns The Washington Post, which has written critical stories about President Trump, who counts Pecker as a close ally.

Read more at: https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2019/02/07/jeff-bezos-accuses-national-enquirer-publisher-blackmail/7GyT3Vm2lTWhG7a0fiLsSO/story.html?s_campaign=breakingnews:newsletter

This would seem to be that Lauren Sanchez, I know little about her.

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Jeff Bezos accuses National Enquirer publisher of blackmail
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 01:38:20 am »
Ironical

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 01:40:46 am »
For some reason, Drudge is red lettering this at this hour, it's a big story but? How big... but here we go...

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 02:03:16 am »
Bezos then writes that his team found out that AMI chairman and CEO David Pecker was "apoplectic" about the investigation, and shortly thereafter they were approached with "an offer."

I’ll bet Pecker is worried. AMI is already on thin ice with the SDNY, over the McDougal arrangement. If they’re found to be working on Trump’s behalf to target Bezos, they’re screwed.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 02:23:42 am »
Ga-Trilionairre Bezos thinks he is untouchable.

We will see.

Ms. Sanchez sure is cute.

Her appearance indicates plenty of Latina, aka probably indigenous or American Indian. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 02:59:34 am »
FTA

After the story ran, Bezos ordered his longtime security consultant, Gavin de Becker, to lead the probe into how the Enquirer obtained the lewd text messages. His private investigators have concluded that Bezos’s phone wasn’t hacked. Instead, they've been focusing on Sanchez’s brother, according to a person familiar with the matter.

I'd focus on Sanchez herself and the girlfriends she forwarded the messages and photos to.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 04:15:48 am »
Bezos's investigators have questioned Sanchez's brother.  Huufpo's headline was "Bezos exposes Pecker."

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 04:18:17 am »
Bezos's investigators have questioned Sanchez's brother.  Huufpo's headline was "Bezos exposes Pecker."

He sure did.....and he stuck it in his Latin reporter right in front of his wife. That's why he isn't the richest man in the world anymore. He's only half rich now.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 04:23:27 am »
Bezo will blame Trump for this.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 04:29:47 am »
Bezos then writes that his team found out that AMI chairman and CEO David Pecker was "apoplectic" about the investigation, and shortly thereafter they were approached with "an offer."

I’ll bet Pecker is worried. AMI is already on thin ice with the SDNY, over the McDougal arrangement. If they’re found to be working on Trump’s behalf to target Bezos, they’re screwed.

Oh really? So now you think it is illegal to destroy your enemies by stating the truth. Interesting.

Bezos has been exposed as a moron for putting half his net worth at risk banging some whore WITHOUT AN IRONCLAD PRENUP and he is bitter now. Too bad, so sad. Anyone have his rich ex-wife's number? I want some of that Amazon cash.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 04:41:44 am »
Oh really? So now you think it is illegal to destroy your enemies by stating the truth. Interesting.

No, but blackmail/extortion is illegal.  And that is what is being alleged here. 

National Enquirer has destroyed lives with its karp.  I hope Bezos puts this rag out of business. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 04:43:23 am »
No, but blackmail/extortion is illegal.  And that is what is being alleged here. 

National Enquirer has destroyed lives with its karp.  I hope Bezos puts this rag out of business.

Just because this bald headed freak says it doesn't mean it's true. His newspaper prints about 50 bold faced lies a day that are retracted 5 minutes later. He has serious trouble with the truth.

Offline edpc

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 07:45:48 am »

Bezos has been exposed as a moron for putting half his net worth at risk banging some whore WITHOUT AN IRONCLAD PRENUP and he is bitter now. Too bad, so sad. Anyone have his rich ex-wife's number? I want some of that Amazon cash.

I think extortion is illegal. That’s the allegation in his statement. You can believe he ran that by his legal department, before release. AMI and Pecker entered into an non-prosecution agreement with the government, over the McDougal payment. As part of it, they were on three year probation for any other misconduct. If they were found to be in violation, they’d be prosecuted for that offense and have anything they’d previously admitted, under the agreement, come back on them and be admissible. That’s why Pecker would be ‘apoplectic’ about the Bezos statement and counter-investigation.

https://www.scribd.com/document/395572042/American-Media-Inc-AMI-Non-Prosecution-Agreement-1

https://lawandcrime.com/legal-analysis/if-amis-jeff-bezos-shakedown-was-criminal-they-can-kiss-their-non-prosecution-agreement-goodbye/

The idea she’s going to get half is a misnomer. His net worth is tied up in stock value. Most of that also has to do with his control of the companies. In order to secure half, it would necessitate a massive sell off and price drop. She’d shoot herself in the foot by doing it. Everything he’s doing shows he’s not worried about it.

To fund a settlement that big, Bezos would have sell or pledge shares, which could dilute his ownership and control of the company. Bezos owns just under 80 million shares of Amazon, or just under 16 percent of the company, according to regulatory filings.

But divorce attorneys say that is highly likely MacKenzie would want the family fortune to continue to grow — and that is tied in large part to Jeff Bezos' control of the company. So she would be unlikely to push for a settlement that would require him to sell shares that would dilute his control — and any reduction of his stake in the company.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/09/how-much-could-mackenzie-bezos-get-in-a-divorce.html
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:05:39 am by edpc »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 11:05:47 am »
Just because this bald headed freak says it doesn't mean it's true. His newspaper prints about 50 bold faced lies a day that are retracted 5 minutes later. He has serious trouble with the truth.

You hate Bezos cause he attacks your lord and savior Trump.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 12:18:14 pm »
All the cool kids are being blackmailed.
Ronan Farrow says National Enquirer tried to blackmail him too
By Tamar Lapin
February 7, 2019 | 10:42pm

Ronan Farrow says he’s also been threatened by the National Enquirer, following Jeff Bezos‘ bombshell allegation that the tabloid tried to blackmail him with nude selfies.

“I and at least one other prominent journalist involved in breaking stories about the National Enquirer’s arrangement with Trump fielded similar ‘stop digging or we’ll ruin you’ blackmail efforts from AMI,” Farrow tweeted Thursday evening.

“(I did not engage as I don’t cut deals with subjects of ongoing reporting.)”

Earlier Thursday, the Amazon CEO alleged that American Media Inc. — the Enquirer’s parent company — threatened to publish a nude photo of him if he didn’t stop investigating the magazine’s exposure of his affair and publicly declare that its reporting hadn’t been “politically motivated.” ... Page Six
It's the new #MeToo!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 12:29:08 pm »

I would trust Jeff Bezos and WaPo before I would trust the Enquirer and the shady characters who run it.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 12:33:23 pm »
I would trust Jeff Bezos and WaPo before I would trust the Enquirer and the shady characters who run it.

:laugh: Quite a compelling argument.  The Washington Post and the Enquirer offer a difference without a distinction.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:34:24 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 02:03:04 pm »

Some times the blackmail works.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 02:08:12 pm »

@LadyLiberty

That one is a real gift. How often do you get to write headlines like that and get away with them?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 02:19:27 pm »

https://twitter.com/TheValuesVoter/status/1093872955103342597

TheValuesVoter @TheValuesVoter

You have to be desperate, crazy or at least very stupid to already be involved in a Federal Investigation, have an immunity deal and then threaten your immunity by blackmailing a billionaire and doing it in writing.
6:03 AM - 8 Feb 2019

Offline edpc

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 03:48:29 pm »
National Enquirer publisher says it will investigate Bezos' allegations

American Media said in a statement on Friday morning that the company "believes fervently that it acted lawfully in the reporting of the story of Mr. Bezos."

"Further, at the time of the recent allegations made by Mr. Bezos, it was in good faith negotiations to resolve all matters with him," the company said. "Nonetheless, in light of the nature of the allegations published by Mr. Bezos, the Board has convened and determined that it should promptly and thoroughly investigate the claims. Upon completion of that investigation, the Board will take whatever appropriate action is necessary."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/08/media/national-enquirer-jeff-bezos/index.html

under the bus888

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 03:48:38 pm »
Now I'm reading that Sanchez's brother, Michael, is good friends with Roger Stone.  You can't make this sh1t up.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 04:01:16 pm »

I'm sure you would. WaPo is the go to bible for news for people of a certain political bent who don't want facts getting in the way of their Trump hate.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 04:23:47 pm »
I'm sure you would. WaPo is the go to bible for news for people of a certain political bent who don't want facts getting in the way of their Trump hate.

And  National Enquirer, Fox News, Breitbart, Drudge and Gateway Pundit  are where Trump worshipers get their pro-Trump propaganda. 

There are no unbiased news sources.  I'll admit WaPo and the mainstream media have all forgotten real journalism .  But as far as I know, mainstream media does not resort to blackmail, extortion and other nefarious deeds to publish sleazy karp like NE.

NE is not news.  It's not journalism in any form.  It's just a scandal rag always looking for some juicy gossip to spread about the famous.  And when it can't find any, it makes it up.  It's the real fake news. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 04:32:10 pm »

There are no unbiased news sources.  I'll admit WaPo and the mainstream media have all forgotten real journalism .  But as far as I know, mainstream media does not resort to blackmail, extortion and other nefarious deeds to publish sleazy karp like NE.

And you say the Enquirer does? If you bother to read the article Bezos is claiming his dick pic texts that were intercepted came from the govt' spying on him. Every rich dude that gets extorted calls the FBI and the people are arrested. This happened to Bloomberg a couple years ago. Bezos though hires some private investigators and then claim the govt' is intercepting his texts. This is the same guy who data mines and spies on people through Alexa, by their own admission.

Don't let the convoluted story Bezos is telling get in your way though. You have an insatiable Trump hate to feed daily. You check the bowl before you flush the toilet to see if Trump is spying on you. The hate is the only thing of meaning in your life. Embrace it.