Author Topic: Over 109,000 people died from measles in 2017 — needlessly  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Over 109,000 people died from measles in 2017 — needlessly
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 11:14:31 pm »
So you're saying if my dog goes out in the back yard and eats critter poop and then comes in and licks the kid in the face he's going to be healthy?
Well, how's your kid? (I mean, aside from maybe bad breath?)

Some germs are generally to be avoided. That's usually why the things associated with them stink.

But one of the healthiest people I have known runs a 'honey dipper truck', cleaning out septic systems. He's probably been exposed to more pathogens than most humans, but never seems to get sick. :shrug:

I think the run of the mill germs in small amounts give the immune system something to work on, like exercise, that keeps it at the ready to deal with other stuff, too. Maybe my reasoning is flawed, but we exercise muscles so we can lift the heavy stuff--if we don't, we can't. Seems like the immune system would work much the same.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 11:20:05 pm »

So who are all these people dying, and where they from?

The rubeola virus causes "red measles," also known as "hard measles" or just "measles." Although most people recover without problems, rubeola can lead to pneumonia or inflammation of the brain (encephalitis).

My best friend in the first grade died from pneumonia related to measles.  That was 1955.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 11:27:30 pm »
Well, how's your kid? (I mean, aside from maybe bad breath?)

Some germs are generally to be avoided. That's usually why the things associated with them stink.

But one of the healthiest people I have known runs a 'honey dipper truck', cleaning out septic systems. He's probably been exposed to more pathogens than most humans, but never seems to get sick. :shrug:

I think the run of the mill germs in small amounts give the immune system something to work on, like exercise, that keeps it at the ready to deal with other stuff, too. Maybe my reasoning is flawed, but we exercise muscles so we can lift the heavy stuff--if we don't, we can't. Seems like the immune system would work much the same.

Nah, I think you're right.  Same is true for the guys I've known that have worked wastewater treatment plants.  They were always sick for the first few weeks they worked there and then never sick again after that.

Kiddo got the flu a day before me.  Projectile vomiting the first day, stayed in bed most of the next day, right as rain today.  And I'm on track for the same schedule, thankfully no vomiting.  But he's generally healthy.  He's getting ready to turn 7 and that's the second sickness he's had that has caused vomiting.  The first one he picked up from the hospital when we had to take him in to check for concussion.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 11:35:43 pm »
FYI, prior to the vaccine becoming available in 1963, the death rate from Measles in the US was 0.01% to 0.0167% based on CDC estimated number of yearly Measles infections and deaths.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2019, 11:50:01 pm »
FYI, prior to the vaccine becoming available in 1963, the death rate from Measles in the US was 0.01% to 0.0167% based on CDC estimated number of yearly Measles infections and deaths.

People were too stupid to die from diseases back then. There was no Fakebook, Twit and Instascam to inform people they were living a lifestyle that would kill them. We know better now.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2019, 12:21:43 am »
When I was in Egypt the US Embassy sent out a memo to expats warning of the 'summer disease' season approaching. Some health tips to avoid cholera, typhoid, hepatitis, etc.

In that memo they said infant mortality in Egypt for babies up to one year old was 50%. That was 1981. Population density, at that time, was over 5,000 people per square mile of arable land. There were big outbreaks of those summer diseases.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2019, 03:41:21 pm »
'Patient Zero' identified in Washington state measles outbreak
by Jeff Pohjola | KOMO Radio
Wednesday, February 6th 2019

Vancouver, W.A. (KOMO) - State health officials say the first person to contract measles in the latest outbreak was someone from outside the country.

That person, according to State Epidemiologist Dr. Scott Lindquist, came into contact with a large group of un-vaccinated children.

"All those kids that were un-immunized went to public places like Ikea, Costco and a Portland Trailblazers game," he said. ...
:pondering:  From where, I wonder.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2019, 03:59:42 pm »
:pondering:  From where, I wonder.
Maybe it was the other kids in the caravan...playing games with public health over a political agenda is not healthy for anyone.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis