Author Topic: Over 109,000 people died from measles in 2017 — needlessly  (Read 3123 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

This is the reason outbreaks are occurring in Europe and the Americas -- vaccination coverage has dropped, which means not enough people are being vaccinated. At least 95% of a population must receive two doses of the measles-containing vaccine to stop the virus from spreading, and in many areas with outbreaks, this is not happening.
How vaccines stop diseases like measles

How vaccines stop diseases like measles 01:26
Failure to vaccinate has far-reaching consequences -- from financial hardship in the form of lost wages while caring for a sick child, to a child developing life-long disabilities or dying. Some suffer complications such as blindness, encephalitis (brain swelling caused by infection), severe diarrhea, dehydration, ear infections and pneumonia....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/06/opinions/measles-outbreak-vaccinate-everyone-mcgovern-calvin/index.html?no-st=1549488886

Offline berdie

Re: Over 109,000 people died from measles in 2017 — needlessly
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 10:58:26 pm »
There is no doubt I don't "get this".

Why did most people in the 50's, 60's and before the vaccine not die? Most of us kids had measles, mumps and chickenpox.  We didn't kick the bucket.

Have we wrecked our immune systems with antiseptic hand wash and antibiotics?

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 12:40:31 am »
Over 50 cases of measles now in Washington (state).

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 12:45:43 am »

Why did most people in the 50's, 60's and before the vaccine not die? Most of us kids had measles, mumps and chickenpox.  We didn't kick the bucket.

Runaway immigration from the third world.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 03:14:22 pm »

Look up the mortality rates from pre and post vaccination. Most didn't die, but an alarming number did. It peaked at almost 700k per year. Mortality had dropped to almost 0 before this new anti vaccination pseudoscience trend.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:15:37 pm by ABX »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 03:26:37 pm »
My best fit curve prior to the vaccine shows a decrease in mortality even before the vaccine. That steepened considerably after the vaccine, but the trend is there.
That implies that the population was already slowly acquiring immunity through winnowing and exposure (thus gaining natural immunity). The exposed and unvaccinated group would have immunity from that.

So who are all these people dying, and where they from?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline berdie

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 09:47:48 pm »
@ABX @Smokin Joe

Two different opinions. Of course one is in line with mine.

I will reiterate...when I was a kid...if you got the measles...the world didn't shut down with "OH MY GOD...THEY ARE GONNA DIE!!!" You stayed home from school and got well. I never knew anyone that died from measles.

So I am stuck with my original opinion, we are wrecking our immune systems.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 10:06:45 pm »
@ABX @Smokin Joe

I will reiterate...when I was a kid...if you got the measles...the world didn't shut down with "OH MY GOD...THEY ARE GONNA DIE!!!" You stayed home from school and got well. I never knew anyone that died from measles.

Or, we don't know how to treat a common childhood illness anymore because we haven't had to in over 50 years.  There appears to be a link between low Vitamin A and severe measles illnesses and/or deaths.

These 109,000 people clearly are not in the US as we haven't had a measles death in the US since 2015.

My opinion is unchanged; vaccinate if you want to and otherwise mind your own business.  Vaccination poses a risk as well and no one has the right to force that risk on someone else.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 10:25:03 pm »
Or, we don't know how to treat a common childhood illness anymore because we haven't had to in over 50 years.  There appears to be a link between low Vitamin A and severe measles illnesses and/or deaths.

These 109,000 people clearly are not in the US as we haven't had a measles death in the US since 2015.

My opinion is unchanged; vaccinate if you want to and otherwise mind your own business.  Vaccination poses a risk as well and no one has the right to force that risk on someone else.

What type of GD knuckle dragger are you? We are all going to die because of people like you!!!!

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 10:35:42 pm »
What type of GD knuckle dragger are you? We are all going to die because of people like you!!!!

Good, my ultimate goal is to save the earth from you capitalist scum.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 10:38:09 pm »
Good, my ultimate goal is to save the earth from you capitalist scum.

So you are telling me I'm not going to die with you doing your thing?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 10:41:22 pm »

Good Grief.  She's an anti-vaxer!   This is too much for me to handle. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline berdie

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 10:41:50 pm »
Or, we don't know how to treat a common childhood illness anymore because we haven't had to in over 50 years.  There appears to be a link between low Vitamin A and severe measles illnesses and/or death

That's something I hadn't thought of...and probably a correct assessment.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 10:42:04 pm »
So you are telling me I'm not going to die with you doing your thing?

Nah, but I can make things very uncomfortable for you.  I'm getting over the flu and would be happy to mail you some used tissues.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 10:43:09 pm »
Good Grief.  She's an anti-vaxer!   This is too much for me to handle.

Don't make me turn you into a casserole.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 10:43:54 pm »
Don't make me turn you into a casserole.

Tuna noodle?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 10:44:49 pm »
Tuna noodle?

I suppose I would be willing to sacrifice some noodles for you.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 10:48:21 pm »
I suppose I would be willing to sacrifice some noodles for you.

I'll send you some old moldy bread for you to make some penicillin.  You do believe in penicillin don't you or are you anti-bacteriology?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 10:50:16 pm »
Well, not all of us. Knuckle draggers will survive! :tongue2:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 10:52:01 pm »
Nah, but I can make things very uncomfortable for you.  I'm getting over the flu and would be happy to mail you some used tissues.

Well as long as I'm never going to die, feel free. I got a lot of time on my hands now. Got to fill it up with new experiences to tell the great great great great great great great great grandkids.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 10:56:49 pm »
I'll send you some old moldy bread for you to make some penicillin.  You do believe in penicillin don't you or are you anti-bacteriology?

Are there any diseases that penicillin actually still works for?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 11:04:07 pm »
@ABX @Smokin Joe

I don't doubt we are wrecking our immune systems. They're so bored they attack the people who have them.

Kids used to step barefoot in poo (not ideal, it sucked, but it happened), get skinned up, bruised, exposed to all sorts of germs. We got covered with dirt, mud, and worse, we fell in the creek (sometimes accidentally on purpose), climbed trees, ate berries off the plant or fruit right off the tree, caught tadpoles and frogs and snakes, and did all sorts of grubby kid things.
Now, life is too sterilized for all that. (Admittedly, there are some germs out there you don't want to catch, but the others that weren't lethal, that built immune systems up, are getting sanitized away, too.
Nutrition isn't as good as it used to be, despite all the science involved now, because the food just isn't the same quality as I recall. (We grew our own a lot more then, or it was local and picked fresh, not picked green, shipped in, and force ripened with ethylene).

But part of my point was that the deaths aren't taking place in the US. These deaths are happening elsewhere where not only are people imunocompromised, but often under nourished and suffering from God knows what else.

Measles were just a sort of rite of passage for us as kids, just a half century ago, (back when almost no one was allergic to peanuts).

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 11:05:12 pm »
Are there any diseases that penicillin actually still works for?
Believe it or not, yes.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 11:07:50 pm »
I don't doubt we are wrecking our immune systems. They're so bored they attack the people who have them.

Kids used to step barefoot in poo (not ideal, it sucked, but it happened), get skinned up, bruised, exposed to all sorts of germs. We got covered with dirt, mud, and worse, we fell in the creek (sometimes accidentally on purpose), climbed trees, ate berries off the plant or fruit right off the tree, caught tadpoles and frogs and snakes, and did all sorts of grubby kid things.
Now, life is too sterilized for all that. (Admittedly, there are some germs out there you don't want to catch, but the others that weren't lethal, that built immune systems up, are getting sanitized away, too.
Nutrition isn't as good as it used to be, despite all the science involved now, because the food just isn't the same quality as I recall. (We grew our own a lot more then, or it was local and picked fresh, not picked green, shipped in, and force ripened with ethylene).

But part of my point was that the deaths aren't taking place in the US. These deaths are happening elsewhere where not only are people imunocompromised, but often under nourished and suffering from God knows what else.

Measles were just a sort of rite of passage for us as kids, just a half century ago, (back when almost no one was allergic to peanuts).

So you're saying if my dog goes out in the back yard and eats critter poop and then comes in and licks the kid in the face he's going to be healthy?

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 11:10:05 pm »
Knuckle draggers will survive!

And Country Boys....