Author Topic: Earth's 5 warmest years on record have occurred since 2014  (Read 5498 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Earth's 5 warmest years on record have occurred since 2014
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 07:57:33 pm »
1816. Tambora exploded.

It set solar panel usage back 200 years
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 07:58:03 pm »
They are also trying to make the case that the climate, right now, today, is the optimum climate for the entire world.  Pretty arrogant, if you ask me.

Oh yeah! That's for sure.  The truth is that they don't give a damn what the temperature is as long as we are under their thumbs from cradle to grave.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2019, 07:59:09 pm »
I generally think the Earth is warming, due at least in part to human influence. However, I fail to see how it's the great calamity it is claimed to be. They also tend to ignore things like "global greening" that might mitigate the effects and/or even be beneficial to humanity.

This summer kind of turned me into a believer, as it wasn't that hot, but it didn't "cool down" at night very much.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 08:02:26 pm »
I generally think the Earth is warming, due at least in part to human influence. However, I fail to see how it's the great calamity it is claimed to be. They also tend to ignore things like "global greening" that might mitigate the effects and/or even be beneficial to humanity.

This summer kind of turned me into a believer, as it wasn't that hot, but it didn't "cool down" at night very much.

Compared to the forces of nature, human activity is one grain of sand on all the beaches of the world
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2019, 08:06:05 pm »
Oh yeah! That's for sure.  The truth is that they don't give a damn what the temperature is as long as we are under their thumbs from cradle to grave.

Perzackly.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2019, 08:09:26 pm »
Of course, my point being, we don't have detailed temperature information from only 200 years ago.  Please, give me the detailed temperature information from a couple thousand years before that.

Christ was born and the light of that Son is the true cause of Global Warming. Or, about every 2000 years the planetary alignments of Jupiter, Saturn, and the Earth/moon combine. Changing the orbital path and tilt of the earth. Which causes the earth to enter a cooling stage with info about solar cycle 24. Soooo...using the SWAG (Scientific Wild-Assed Guess) method, the year 19 the planet was colder.

For detailed info put on your snow gear and go dig your own ice cores. That would be the only way to figure it out and not rely on someone else's data.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2019, 08:10:09 pm »
Global greening is pretty interesting, rising carbon dioxide is respiration for plants, turned into oxygen (as well all know), and rising temperatures results in more water in the atmosphere, which is greening a lot of areas that were formerly "brown" (deserts, etc.).

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2019, 08:47:42 pm »
Global greening is pretty interesting, rising carbon dioxide is respiration for plants, turned into oxygen (as well all know), and rising temperatures results in more water in the atmosphere, which is greening a lot of areas that were formerly "brown" (deserts, etc.).

I'll have to look it up, but I read that the Sahara desert shrank by 700,000 square miles, or kilometers due to global greening.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2019, 08:50:09 pm »
700,000 kilometers.

700,000 Square Kilometers Of Added Green Vegetation, Climate Change Shrinks Sahara Desert By Whopping 8%!

http://notrickszone.com/2019/01/16/700000-square-kilometers-of-added-green-vegetation-climate-change-shrinks-sahara-desert-by-whopping-8/

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2019, 09:55:54 pm »
https://history.aip.org/climate/cycles.htm

Ice core studies also confirmed a feature that researchers had already noticed in deep-sea cores: the glacial cycle followed a sawtooth curve. In each cycle, a spurt of rapid warming was followed by a more gradual, irregular descent back into the cold over tens of thousands of years. A closer look showed that temperatures tended to cluster at the two ends of the curve. It seemed that the climate system had two fairly stable modes, brief warmth and more enduring cold, with relatively rapid shifts between them. Warm intervals like the past few thousand years normally did not last long. (36)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2019, 10:10:31 pm »

Warm intervals like the past few thousand years normally did not last long.

Just long enough to trick stupid people into giving up their rights and a working Economy.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2019, 10:32:00 pm »
Of course, my point being, we don't have detailed temperature information from only 200 years ago. 

And even that is not all that 'detailed'... Even today it is not that detailed. This is a big ol planet, and very dynamic. Folks tend to forget that, and then believe nonsense like measuring ocean rise and fall to the millimeter...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2019, 10:39:39 pm »
I generally think the Earth is warming, due at least in part to human influence.

Nah. Something stuck with me back when St. Helens erupted... Science estimated that that single volcano spewed more particulate, toxins, and general pollution in that one episode, than all the history of man produced.

Do that math a minute.

If you believe the statement, then science itself proved anthro-global warming to be false.
If you don't believe the statement, then science is talking out it's collective ass.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2019, 10:42:23 pm »
And even that is not all that 'detailed'... Even today it is not that detailed. This is a big ol planet, and very dynamic. Folks tend to forget that, and then believe nonsense like measuring ocean rise and fall to the millimeter...

Even hands on field survey of unpaved ground will only give elevation to the closest 0.1' or a little over 1".

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2019, 10:47:43 pm »

Ice core studies also confirmed...

Again, depends on believing ice cores are old.
Greenland and Iceland have been free of ice, and Antarctica was charted (at least coastline being free of ice) within the history of man.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2019, 10:50:36 pm »
Even hands on field survey of unpaved ground will only give elevation to the closest 0.1' or a little over 1".

Right - And that is incredibly simple by comparison.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2019, 11:06:53 pm »

Again, depends on believing ice cores are old.
Greenland and Iceland have been free of ice, and Antarctica was charted (at least coastline being free of ice) within the history of man.

It wasn't just ice cores they examined.

Beyond such fascinating hints, however, the Greenland ice cores could say little about long-term cycles. They were too short to reach past a single glacial cycle. And the ice flowed like tar at great depths, confusing the record. In the 1970s, despite the arduous efforts of the ice drillers, the most reliable data were still coming from deep-sea cores.

After another five years of difficult work, organized by the U.S. Army's Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory, the drill at Camp Century reached bedrock. The hole reached down some 1.4 kilometers (7/8 of a mile), bringing up ice as much as 100,000 years old.(30*) Two years later, in 1968, another long core of ancient ice was retrieved from a site even colder and more remote: Byrd Station in West Antarctica.(31)

cores of slick clay drilled out of living lakes, researchers painstakingly counted and measured the layers. Some reported finding a 21,000-year cycle of changes. That approximately matched the timing for a wobbling of the Earth's axis which Milankovitch had calculated as a crucial element

Tracking the shells layer by layer in long cores of clay extracted from the seabed,

As a check, the sea level changes could be set alongside the oxygen-isotope temperature changes measured in deep-sea cores.
To make it worthwhile, scientists had to draw on all their knowledge and luck to find the right places to drill on the ocean bed. In these few places, layers of silt had built up unusually swiftly and steadily and without disturbance. Meanwhile, drilling techniques were finally worked out that could extract the continuous hundred-meter cores of clay that Emiliani had been asking for since the 1950s. Improved techniques for measuring the layers gave data good enough for thorough analysis.    
The most prominent feature turned out to be a 100,000-year cycle — evidently a key to the entire climate puzzle. Several earlier studies had tentatively identified this long-term cycle. Corroboration was in hand from Kukla's loess layers in Czechoslovakia, at the opposite end of the world from some of the deep-sea cores. Here too the 100,000-year cycle stood out.(37)

A splendid deep-sea core had been pulled — "one of the best and most complete records of the entire Pleistocene that is known" — the famous core Vema 28-238 (named after the Lamont Observatory's oceanographic research vessel, a converted luxury yacht). It reached back over a million years, and included the most recent reversal of the Earth's magnetic field, which geologists dated at a bit over 700,000 years ago. This calibrated the chronology for the entire core.

1985 the Antarctic team had pulled up cores of ice stretching clear through the cold period and into the preceding warm period—a complete glacial cycle.(50)

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2019, 11:16:45 pm »
It wasn't just ice cores they examined.

Yeah, yeah... Same with the 'tree ring' debacle. Assumptions are weighted toward their belief... That doesn't make it true.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2019, 11:38:45 pm »
Globull warming threads always call to mind this guy:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2019, 12:25:06 am »

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2019, 01:47:43 am »
The Romans once grew grapes and made wine in Greenland.

I think you're a bit off.  The Romans never made it to Greenland.  The Vikings grew grapes in Greenland during the Medieval Climate Optimum (and probably made wine).  The Romans had vineyards and wine making in what is now the English Midlands, a bit north of the current British wine-country in Sussex, during the Roman Climate Optimum.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2019, 10:15:53 am »
The Romans once grew grapes and made wine in Greenland.
IIRC, those were Vikings...

But back home, Mrs. Joe informed me it got down to -40, and the power went out. My grandson went out to the wood pile, and they sat in front of the fireplace while the power was out....

I'm from North Dakota, and I'm all for global warming. Pity humans don't have any control over the thermostat.

And this BS about CO2, which trails warming?

Open a beer. put a balloon over the end of the bottle and let the beer warm up. Agitate it.

It's a simple experiment to show that the solubility of CO2 in water decreases as temperature increases.

Wow, just like 70% of the Earth's surface would warm up after an ice age (the oceans) and give up CO2.

CO2 increases in atmosphere trail warming. Just like you'd expect. A result of warming, not the cause.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online rustynail

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2019, 11:34:21 am »
"years on record "  is white man tricky talk.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2019, 12:04:23 pm »
Yeah, take the right couple of days and you can predict a stock going to be a 10 bagger--right before it tanks.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2019, 01:38:58 pm »

I don't think it's an insignificant detail.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates