Author Topic: Earth's 5 warmest years on record have occurred since 2014  (Read 5499 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Earth's 5 warmest years on record have occurred since 2014
« on: February 06, 2019, 08:12:30 pm »
But it's cold outside!

https://www.axios.com/earths-5-warmest-years-have-occurred-since-2014-cc42f4bb-dbc6-40b7-b478-0ce942fab2d0.html

Last year was Earth's 4th-warmest year on record, coming in behind 2016, the planet's warmest recorded year, as well as 2015 and 2017, according to information released Wednesday by NOAA, NASA and the U.K. Met Office.

Why it matters: The yearly rankings don't tell the whole story of long-term climate change, since natural variability can still push or pull an individual year up or down the rankings. However, the overall picture is growing starker with each passing year. Nine of the 10 warmest years on record since reliable data began in 1880 have occurred since 2005. At the same time, greenhouse gases from the burning of fossil fuels — as well as deforestation and intensive agriculture — have skyrocketed to levels not seen in more than 800,000 years.

By the numbers: For 2018, the average temperature across global land and ocean surfaces was 1.42°F (0.79°C) above the 20th century average, according to NOAA.

-According to NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS), global temperatures in 2018 were 1.5°F (0.83°C) warmer than the 1951–1980 mean.

-Analyses from the U.K. Met Office and the World Meteorological Organization also ranked 2018 among the top 4 warmest years on record.

-Each group relies on similar surface temperature data but uses different methods and baselines to fill in gaps between observing stations.

-According to NOAA, the annual global land and ocean temperature has increased at an average rate of  0.13°F (0.07°C) per decade since 1880. However, this rate has more than doubled, to 0.31°F (0.17°C) per decade, since 1981.

The big picture: "The impacts of long-term global warming are already being felt — in coastal flooding, heat waves, intense precipitation and ecosystem change," Gavin Schmidt, director of NASA GISS, said in a press release.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Earth's 5 warmest years on record have occurred since 2014
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 08:23:10 pm »
The latest trick for the GW alarmist crowd is to use the mean of the last 12 months of data. That way it looks like temps are actually higher than they presently are.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 08:38:14 pm »
They always say that.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 08:42:20 pm »
The sane scientists are predicting a Grand Solar Minimum.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 08:44:51 pm »
They always say that.

If nitwits didn’t write climate papers there wouldn’t be any.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 09:48:12 pm »
And you actually buy this crap?

He does.  He is a woke millennial no-it-all and not afraid to tell us how little he knows.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 10:08:10 pm »
He does.  He is a woke millennial no-it-all and not afraid to tell us how little he knows.

Well, it is kinda sciencey... They've got a cool logo n'shit... And written on the highest quality electrons available. Who needs facts?

Bill Cipher

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 04:14:26 pm »
But it's cold outside!

https://www.axios.com/earths-5-warmest-years-have-occurred-since-2014-cc42f4bb-dbc6-40b7-b478-0ce942fab2d0.html

Where is the causal connection?  No causal connection means there is no science, only superstition, behind the claims of human-caused global warming. 

That the global mean temperature may be rising is, by itself, no evidence that human activity has caused it, and does not justify any of the measures advocated by the global warming cult.  And yes, it is a cult, not a scientific consensus, because it is based on a mythology - a believe in a causal relationship without any evidence of the causal mechanism. 

I thought cultic religious indoctrination was generally prohibited on the forum. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 05:48:21 pm »
Where is the causal connection?  No causal connection means there is no science, only superstition, behind the claims of human-caused global warming. 

That the global mean temperature may be rising is, by itself, no evidence that human activity has caused it, and does not justify a ny of the measures advocated by the global warming cult.  And yes, it is a cult, not a scientific consensus, because it is based on a mythology - a believe in a causal relationship without any evidence of the causal mechanism. 

I thought cultic religious indoctrination was generally prohibited on the forum.

"No Causal Connection" means nothing more than "Coincidence." 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 05:50:48 pm »

That the global mean temperature may be rising is, by itself, no evidence that human activity has caused it, and does not justify any of the measures advocated by the global warming cult.  And yes, it is a cult, not a scientific consensus, because it is based on a mythology - a believe in a causal relationship without any evidence of the causal mechanism. 

A long time ago, some Communist, noted that the rise in temperature, due to emerging from the last Little Ice Age, coincided with the Industrial Revolution,  and conveniently decided to tie the two together in order to make the case for the Government takeover of the means of production.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 05:57:12 pm »
A long time ago, some Communist, noted that the rise in temperature, due to emerging from the last Little Ice Age, coincided with the Industrial Revolution,  and conveniently decided to tie the two together in order to make the case for the Government takeover of the means of production.

...which is an admission by the Commies their 5-Year Plans are meant to destroy entire Economies.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 06:08:16 pm »
OTOH, according to ice core records and dendochronology, there were periods (not on record, since thermometers hadn't been invented) when mean temperatures at all the places where these temperature proxies are sampled from were a fair bit hotter than the last decade (or half decade), periods that used to be called "the Medieval Climate Optimum", "the Roman Climate Optimum" and "the Holocene Climate Optimum" when people remembered that humanity tends to do better in warm climates, while cold climates, e.g. "the Little Ice Age" or full on Ice Ages, go with famine and disease.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 06:30:15 pm »
OTOH, according to ice core records and dendochronology, there were periods (not on record, since thermometers hadn't been invented) when mean temperatures at all the places where these temperature proxies are sampled from were a fair bit hotter than the last decade (or half decade), periods that used to be called "the Medieval Climate Optimum", "the Roman Climate Optimum" and "the Holocene Climate Optimum" when people remembered that humanity tends to do better in warm climates, while cold climates, e.g. "the Little Ice Age" or full on Ice Ages, go with famine and disease.

I've always had a pet theory that leftists think of Humanity as a Planetary Infection that needs a cure.

It's like the "Voluntary Human Extinction Movement" minus the "voluntary" part. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 07:09:05 pm »
The Romans once grew grapes and made wine in Greenland.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 07:10:11 pm »
Good thing the Green New Deal outlaws nuclear power huh?

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 07:16:42 pm »
Good thing the Green New Deal outlaws nuclear power huh?

Yeah, the left's aversion to nuclear power is absolutely ridiculous. I've tried to discuss it but I can't seem to get through.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 07:22:18 pm »
The Romans once grew grapes and made wine in Greenland.

Must have been a variety of cold weather grape.  By the way, what were average temperatures back in.... oh, let's say 1819, just 200 years ago?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 07:24:12 pm »
Must have been a variety of cold weather grape.  By the way, what were average temperatures back in.... oh, let's say 1819, just 200 years ago?

Somewhere in the 1810's the US had a "year without a summer" because it snowed every month that year.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 07:29:46 pm »

I think the period when Romans were doing that. was a couple of thousand years before 1819 give or take a couple of hundred.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 07:33:09 pm »
I think the period when Romans were doing that. was a couple of thousand years before 1819 give or take a couple of hundred.

Of course, my point being, we don't have detailed temperature information from only 200 years ago.  Please, give me the detailed temperature information from a couple thousand years before that.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 07:37:29 pm »
Somewhere in the 1810's the US had a "year without a summer" because it snowed every month that year.

1816. Tambora exploded.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 07:39:20 pm »
Of course, my point being, we don't have detailed temperature information from only 200 years ago.  Please, give me the detailed temperature information from a couple thousand years before that.

Not avaliable unfortunately as thermometers were yet far in the future but the very fact that they were doing that is a pretty strong indicator of higher temperatures at the time. 

You are right to say that the warming cultist are trying to paint a picture of millions of pixels while having only a few pixels on their palet.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 07:40:40 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 07:55:40 pm »
Not avaliable unfortunately as thermometers were yet far in the future but the very fact that they were doing that is a pretty strong indicator of higher temperatures at the time. 

You are right to say that the warming cultist are trying to paint a picture of millions of pixels while having only a few pixels on their palet.

They are also trying to make the case that the climate, right now, today, is the optimum climate for the entire world.  Pretty arrogant, if you ask me.
I will NOT comply.