Author Topic: Morning Joe Discovers A Love For Separation Of Powers It Didn't Have In Obama Years  (Read 306 times)

rangerrebew

Morning Joe Discovers A Love For Separation Of Powers It Didn't Have In Obama Years
By Alex Christy | February 5, 2019 11:17 AM EST

The cast of MSNBC's Morning Joe are not keen on the idea of President Trump using emergency powers to build a wall on the border. It is nice that they are standing up for Constitutional notions of checks and balances and separation of powers, because that has not always been the case with the MSNBC morning show.

Like Democrats in Congress who used to jump out of their seats in applause at President Obama's "pen and phone" and declarations of "If Congress doesn't act I will," Morning Joe is suddenly opposed to executive action on immigration.

Co-host Joe Scarborough said that the use of emergency power would be "unconstitutional" and that no federal judge would uphold such a ruling because Trump, "said I'm going to negotiate and if I don't get exactly what  I want, I'll declare a national emergency." Later in the segment, Scarborough added that using emergency powers to build the wall "if he can't get what he wants through the normal give and take of Madisonian democracy" would be "the least conservative" thing he has done to date.

Source URL: https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/alex-christy/2019/02/05/morning-joe-discovers-love-separation-powers-it-didnt-have-obama