Author Topic: In Venezuela, Women in Prison Awaiting Trial Endure Crowded Conditions  (Read 317 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
In Venezuela, Women in Prison Awaiting Trial Endure Crowded Conditions

Amid Venezuela’s crises, overcrowded prisons and an overburdened justice system have forced women awaiting trial — and even some convicted of crimes — to spend months in crowded cells at detention centers that were never intended for such use.

The room looks like the aftermath of a party out of control: six women sprawled out on sheets, legs intertwined. Behind them, walls slathered with graffiti and red hearts. Look closer at the writing on the wall, amid the scrawled declarations of love and longing, and reality hits.

“I don’t expect anyone to believe me,” reads one message, “because I believe in no one.”

Read more at: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/06/lens/venezuela-women-prison-jail.html

Okay, NYT slant starts out mentioning something about a transgender but nonetheless, jails in Latin America and women in prison has always been an interesting concept. What percentage of crimes in the USA for example, do women commit? I will look for that figure later on but I'd say?? 10%, it's probably very low.

Offline thackney

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 01:01:51 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer