Author Topic: Amazon is reportedly taking over one of America's most infamous dead shopping malls  (Read 1430 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Amazon is reportedly taking over the site of a once thriving mall in Akron, Ohio, that was abandoned after falling victim to the retail apocalypse.

Amazon is planning to build a 695,383-square-foot facility at the site of the former Rolling Acres Mall, according to blueprints of the project obtained by the Akron Beacon Journal/Ohio.com.

The redevelopment plans are titled "Project Carney," in an apparent nod to Jay Carney, the company's senior vice president of global corporate affairs. Construction on the warehouse is scheduled to begin in September, according to the Beacon Journal.

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-could-replace-dead-rolling-acres-shopping-mall-report-2019-2?utm_content=bufferd4941&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=BI-linkedin
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online rustynail

Will unruly groups of 'youths' roam the building?

Offline Applewood

Good to see a dead mall put to worthwhile use.  There's a huge dead mall across town from me.  Different owners have come and gone with plans for redevelopment, but nothing has panned out.  So sad to see a once thriving retail complex sit idle.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The redevelopment plans are titled "Project Carney," in an apparent nod to Jay Carney, the company's senior vice president of global corporate affairs.
You mean THAT Jay Carney, the Obama-era press secretary?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
What a great solution?

Real estate seeks highest and best use.

Local government (may be) subsidizing Amazon, to locate economic activity there.

Local residents get jobs, pay taxes.

Like making  sausage.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
You mean THAT Jay Carney, the Obama-era press secretary?

I think so, I have a vague recollection that he landed there.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I'm a fan of Amazon but... isn't this a risk that they're overextending themselves?

Give them 5 years they will be the next "Walmart" in the public opinion.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Probably not.  The story isn't clear, but Amazon is probably gong to make it another Fulfillment Center.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Polly Ticks

Probably not, but young people who aren't particularly college-minded at the moment and who would like to make a decent salary should consider it.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra