Author Topic: EDC Essentials Pt2: Minimalist vs THAT Guy  (Read 2741 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
EDC Essentials Pt2: Minimalist vs THAT Guy
« on: February 04, 2019, 06:01:40 pm »
Primary Arms

Round two! If you missed the first installment of EDC Essentials, click here.
Three more Primary Arms Employees have laid out their EDC gear for you this week, and our hope is that you take a little insight and inspiration from what they carry. Choosing to equip yourself with certain items every day is a personal choice, and everyone’s needs are going to be different. What you encounter day-to-day may look nothing like what these three individuals prepare for, but some things are just essential.

Let’s take a look at this second installment. Watch for part three soon!

TONY A – Primary Arms Customer Service Representative

My philosophy on what I carry is straightforward. I choose to carry a firearm because it is not only my right as a law-abiding citizen, but as a Father and Husband it is my duty to protect my family.

Yes, there are more expensive and even more popular options when it comes to what I carry, but I have found that these are the tools that work for me. These items are on my person any time I leave my house, and even most of the time I spend in my house as well. What works for me may not work for you, but I believe with enough hands-on experience and a little bit of trial and error anyone can find what they’re most comfortable with.

For my EDC firearms I carry a Smith & Wesson M&P9 M2.0 Compact 9mm. I carried the M&P Shield 9mm for a few years and always wanted to take a step up in capacity and I liked the modifications and improvements they made to the Compact, so I decided it was time. It carries comfortably, shoots great and I’ve had zero issues with it shooting either regular ball or hollow points. I typically carry it in a Concealment Express IWB Holster and will sometimes carry it in a Bravo Concealment OWB Holster with a Streamlight TLR-1 attached.

Carrying at least one extra magazine is a must for me. I typically carry the extra Smith & Wesson factory mag in my front left pocket. And if I’m able to comfortably, I’ll carry another magazine in a single mag carrier on my belt. All of my magazines are loaded with 124 Grain Federal HST’s or 124 Grain Speer Gold Dots.

I went through quite a few knives trying to find a solid utility knife that was easy to carry. Finally settled on the Link, from Kershaw knives. I use this more than anything else I carry. And since it’s very affordable I won’t have an issue if I were to ever lose it. Am I ever going to use it to actually defend myself? Probably not. But man does it come in handy.

I also carry a pocket flashlight. My light of choice is the Streamlight ProTac 2L This is another item that I never knew would be so handy. I have other lights with “all the lumens” but I find this one to be the most comfortable to carry on a daily basis. And it has more than enough lumens for what I need it for, which it typically giving it to my 5 year old so she can look for things or light-up a dark room she’s afraid to go in.

Sunglasses in Texas are always a must-have. So why not have them also be ballistic-tested? I wear 5.11 Tactical Ascend sunglasses every day. I own several pairs of shooting glasses and these are the most comfortable and durable I’ve come across so far, plus they are practical for every-day wear.

Coming from a background of working in a machine shop I know the importance of having tools handy. Since I can’t fit my toolbox in a spare pocket the Gerber Suspension multi-tool is certainly better than nothing. Any multi-tool is a great addition to an EDC set-up, but I’ve always had a Gerber. If I’m not carrying it on me it’s in my backpack that I carry almost everywhere. 

More for Colin D and Matt D: http://news.primaryarms.com/q/-mkL0T7D-x3CkY0KlzkUSNpDVJb-4a_GoBBYxadFvHaJJujQF6hGB_dim

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: EDC Essentials Pt2: Minimalist vs THAT Guy
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 06:46:28 pm »
I haven't figured out exactly how to carry a flashlight or why I'd need one...but that's just me. 

But however...I do carry my Sig P365 with at least one spare mag in my pocket (and a second spare in the console of the car if we're traveling)...and my Gerber lock blade knife in my pocket.

I've been thinking about putting together some kind of get home bag or bug out bag to keep in the car...but I need to do more research on them first.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 07:24:46 pm »
I haven't figured out exactly how to carry a flashlight or why I'd need one...but that's just me. 

But however...I do carry my Sig P365 with at least one spare mag in my pocket (and a second spare in the console of the car if we're traveling)...and my Gerber lock blade knife in my pocket.

I've been thinking about putting together some kind of get home bag or bug out bag to keep in the car...but I need to do more research on them first.

I don't keep a flashlight one me, but I keep a good little one handy by the bed and in the truck.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 01:38:31 am »
I don't carry a flashlight. I have a green laser on my P32. And a Benchmade  McHenry  & Williams, a Case Trapper, and a spare mag in my pockets. By my bed I have a red dot on both my 1911 and M1 Carbine.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 01:47:05 am »

I carry a 1000 lumen Fenix for 'jacklighting' rig signs (usually set off to the side of the road just out of the headlights). Will upgrade to the 3000 lumen model after this well. It is too painfully bright to read by on full power, but great for lighting up house numbers, signs, and whatever else. In the face, full power, someone isn't going to see much for a few moments...which makes IFF easier, and doesn't leave a mark on the good guys.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 02:20:36 am »
I carry a 1000 lumen Fenix for 'jacklighting' rig signs (usually set off to the side of the road just out of the headlights). Will upgrade to the 3000 lumen model after this well. It is too painfully bright to read by on full power, but great for lighting up house numbers, signs, and whatever else. In the face, full power, someone isn't going to see much for a few moments...which makes IFF easier, and doesn't leave a mark on the good guys.

I just recently picked up a ThruNite Mini TN30 from Amazon. They recently dropped 30 bucks, down to $69. Lotta modes. Its big though. Uses 4 18650 batteries

-Strobe (3660 lumens/234 minutes),
-Turbo (3660 lumens /120 minutes),
-High (2060 lumens / 190 minutes),
-Medium (470 lumens / 15 hrs),
-Low (46 lumens / 123 hrs),
-Moonlight (0.5 lumens/98 days)

Peak Beam Intensity: 26000cd.
Max beam distance: 320m.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 02:35:02 am »
I just recently picked up a ThruNite Mini TN30 from Amazon. They recently dropped 30 bucks, down to $69. Lotta modes. Its big though. Uses 4 18650 batteries

-Strobe (3660 lumens/234 minutes),
-Turbo (3660 lumens /120 minutes),
-High (2060 lumens / 190 minutes),
-Medium (470 lumens / 15 hrs),
-Low (46 lumens / 123 hrs),
-Moonlight (0.5 lumens/98 days)

Peak Beam Intensity: 26000cd.
Max beam distance: 320m.
Four 18650s sounds like a big light. The one I'm looking at would go on a weapon mount, too, and uses a single (usb chargeable) 18650, so it doesn't have the longevity at high power.  (I'd prefer IR for that, and good NVGs, but I'm on a budget....) If money was no object, I'd be playing with thermal sights, too.

Back to the flash, that sounds good for SAR type work, with a 2 hr 'turbo' battery life. How much does it heat up?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 02:57:36 am »
Four 18650s sounds like a big light. The one I'm looking at would go on a weapon mount, too, and uses a single (usb chargeable) 18650, so it doesn't have the longevity at high power.  (I'd prefer IR for that, and good NVGs, but I'm on a budget....) If money was no object, I'd be playing with thermal sights, too.

Back to the flash, that sounds good for SAR type work, with a 2 hr 'turbo' battery life. How much does it heat up?

I have several single 18650 lights, but none mounted. I have a Armasight Spark Core monocular currently on a skullcrusher mount. I have all the stuff for a helmet mount but haven't done it yet. It seems to work pretty good for a 2nd Gen. I just got the TN30 and haven't run it long enough on Turbo or High to see how hot it will get. I've read where you must have quality batteries for it to function well in Turbo. I'd love to go Thermal as well.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 03:29:07 am »

Old Timer Cave Bear folding blade, a wee 3-blade pen knife that is kept wicked sharp (sliver-gitter), Leatherman Wave... No light, no edc pistol... All that is in the truck all the time.

My belt, haversack, and go-bag are never far away - 30 pounds of gear that goes on me any time I step off into the woods... That greatly increases my edc to include a light, axe, and pistol, not to mention fixed blade knives and more etcetera than can be mentioned here.

I run heavy to tools and hard supply in my go-bag, something you might consider with your mil training in mind. I can perpetuate for nearly any length of time, with the primary differences being seasonal clothing and sleep system... The rest of it is always the same.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 03:34:12 am »
I just recently picked up a ThruNite Mini TN30 from Amazon.

O-Light is another super good brand, comparable to ThruNite, every bit as durable, and generally cheaper.

But ThruNight sets the standard. Good stuff.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 03:34:22 am »
I have several single 18650 lights, but none mounted. I have a Armasight Spark Core monocular currently on a skullcrusher mount. I have all the stuff for a helmet mount but haven't done it yet. It seems to work pretty good for a 2nd Gen. I just got the TN30 and haven't run it long enough on Turbo or High to see how hot it will get. I've read where you must have quality batteries for it to function well in Turbo. I'd love to go Thermal as well.
Really good 18650s can run 100 bucks a piece. (ouch)
My long gun mounted lights use 2 CR123As and do well, but those can't be recharged. No lights on the handguns, just lasers. The Fenix has been used as a handheld, but would mount easily enough on an AR. I'm looking at the next model up, though, for versatility. I have some 'lesser' lights that use the 18650s, but those just don't have the oomph, and the batteries are chinese cheapies.

I'll check into the NV monocular, it is rated pretty high, and the one I have is just a cheapie I picked up to have something (and not headset mountable).

Thankfully, where I live, there is enough ambient light to see pretty well in the 'dark', which really isn't to me, except on a new moon. (If you want real dark, get a half mile underground in a cave and have your light fail--why I learned to rebuild a carbide lamp with my eyes closed.) The grandkids are amazed at how I can get around at night with no lights. Thankfully, my night vision remains pretty good.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 03:39:07 am »

Thankfully, where I live, there is enough ambient light to see pretty well in the 'dark', which really isn't to me, except on a new moon.

YEP, and why I will never mount a light to a rifle or pistol... Anytime I might need em, I would rather be in the dark, and let the other guy walk around with a light on...  :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 04:01:31 am »
YEP, and why I will never mount a light to a rifle or pistol... Anytime I might need em, I would rather be in the dark, and let the other guy walk around with a light on...  :shrug:
Why I want passive IR or thermal.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 01:14:46 pm »
Really good 18650s can run 100 bucks a piece. (ouch)

The 18650 isn’t a standardized cell. They’re not all built equally, or with the same task in mind. The most important trait to consider when looking at 18650 batteries is the continuous discharge rating (CDR), also known as amperage capacity.

The CDR is the rate at which current—measured in amps (A)—can be pulled from the battery without it overheating. In order to find out which battery is right for you, you’ll need to match the CDR of the battery with the power draw associated with your device.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/18650-battery/

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 01:23:02 pm »
The 18650 isn’t a standardized cell. They’re not all built equally, or with the same task in mind. The most important trait to consider when looking at 18650 batteries is the continuous discharge rating (CDR), also known as amperage capacity.

The CDR is the rate at which current—measured in amps (A)—can be pulled from the battery without it overheating. In order to find out which battery is right for you, you’ll need to match the CDR of the battery with the power draw associated with your device.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/18650-battery/
Thanks, @thackney ! (I learn something new every day.)

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 02:37:47 pm »
I've been using for way too long, the cheapest batteries I could get, along with reclaimed laptop batteries. When I picked up the new light I ordered some  Panasonic NCR18650B batteries. Their specs show: Capacity -  Min.  3250mAh - Typ. 3350 mAh.

Best Flashlight Battery
https://www.18650batterystore.com/Best-18650-Battery-Guide-s/142.htm

The Panasonic NCR18650B Protected Button Top battery is the top choice for lithium powered flashlights as well as many others. This battery is powering electric vehicles, power tools and many more applications. It has great reliability with a 3400mAh capacity and 4.9A CDR. Truly, one of the best batteries on the market!

I just looked and Amazon has a 4pack going for $27.99

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 09:53:17 pm »
Funny I do carry a flashlight on me at all times, but it is a one AAA battery cheapo that last 70 hours. Just enough light to see the work area in front of you and nothing else. I carry it in my front pocket of my t-shirt and it weights about the weight of the battery.

I do have one of those 18 volt battery lights at home that is so bright it can set a tree on fire from across the street /s (it does get hot and give 2800 lumen light).... It is heavy and not ideal to carry while wielding a gun. I don't really care to have much more though, since I tend to have batteries die and kill flashlights out of neglect. The more stuff you have the more uptake it takes to keep it all running. You become bound to your possessions it seems.

My carpel tunnel has kicked in recently and I have trouble racking my little EDC gun (Ruger LCP) so I have swapped out to my little 38 special revolver. It doesn't hide as well, but it is small enough in Winter time to carry without most people noticing.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:56:43 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 01:09:10 am »
Funny I do carry a flashlight on me at all times, but it is a one AAA battery cheapo that last 70 hours. Just enough light to see the work area in front of you and nothing else. I carry it in my front pocket of my t-shirt and it weights about the weight of the battery.

That's why I keep all that in the truck and in the go-bag... They are plugged in and fully charged when I need em. That is my one concession to modernity in that go-bag...

There is a power-brick onboard that is capable of solar charging... that is normally connected to a mini-usb hub internal in the bag, which is piped to a tiny batt charger holding double A's, my head lamp, and my o-lite flashlight. A second cord is piped to where my phone goes in the bag...

There is a coily lead that goes from the power-brick down to a jump-pack which resides behind the seat in the truck, which feeds all the usb connected stuff in the truck... That jump pack charges direct from the motor (only when the key is on), and is exercised by feeding all the usb and battery chargers (Ryobi chargers in the sawbox), so the whole thing stays fresh, And I don't have to worry about chargers killing the battery in the pickup... And all I have to do is remember to plug in the bag when I hang it back in the gun racks where it goes, so all the electronics in the bag refresh.

Long story short, that's why the flashlight is based in the go-bag instead of my pocket...