Author Topic: How a ‘Monster’ Texas Oil Field Made the U.S. a Star in the World Market  (Read 909 times)

Offline thackney

How a ‘Monster’ Texas Oil Field Made the U.S. a Star in the World Market
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/03/business/energy-environment/texas-permian-field-oil.html

In a global collapse of oil prices five years ago, scores of American oil companies went bankrupt. But one field withstood the onslaught, and even thrived: the Permian Basin, straddling Texas and New Mexico.

A combination of technical innovation, aggressive investing and copious layers of oil-rich shale have transformed the Permian, once considered a worn-out patch, into the world’s second-most-productive oil field.

And this transformation has apparently inoculated Texas against its traditional economic enemy, the boom-and-bust cycle pegged to oil prices.

Even now, with prices still far below their peak, the Permian is bursting with production and exploration, and the biggest concern is how to create more capacity to get all that oil to market....

...Last year alone, the Permian’s production rose by a million barrels a day, and it could surpass the Ghawar field in Saudi Arabia, the world’s biggest, within three years. Now producing four million barrels a day, the Permian generates more oil than any of the 14 members of OPEC except Saudi Arabia and Iraq....

...Permian production has quadrupled over the last eight years, in contrast with the decline of most other established oil fields, for several reasons....

...As many as 15 oil and gas pipelines serving the Permian are expected to be completed by the middle of 2020, potentially increasing exports from the Gulf of Mexico fourfold to eight million barrels a day after 2021, according to a recent Morningstar Commodities Research report....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I have believed my entire career the last drop of oil produced in America will come from the Permian.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington