Author Topic: Top German conservative hints at slower coal phase-out in nod to party right  (Read 514 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Top German conservative hints at slower coal phase-out in nod to party right
Reuters

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany’s phasing out of coal-fired power stations could be delayed beyond 2038 if the deadline creates problems for the security of electricity supply, a senior legislator in Chancellor Angela Merkel’s party said.

The phase-out, proposed last Saturday by a commission tasked with mapping out Germany’s transition to a more environmentally friendly low-carbon economy, drew criticism from some in industry who fear the impact of higher energy prices.

But in remarks that appeared aimed at the right of a party not always comfortable with Merkel’s centrist approach, Ralph Brinkhaus, chair of the conservative benches in parliament, said it was crucial not to be “dogmatic” in pursuing a goal that was widely accepted.

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-politics/top-german-conservative-hints-at-slower-coal-phase-out-in-nod-to-party-right-idUSKCN1PR0PV

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Whatever they want to claim, the reality is that without coal fired generation, they won't have enough electricity to meet demand.  All the butterflies and unicorns farting rainbow skittles across the sky won't keep the lights on.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ConstitutionRose

When I read the original article my thought was the plan was going to be a monster failure, especially since their renewables have never been anywhere near as productive as expected.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.