Poll

What is your 2018 return looking like this year vs. last year?

I'm getting more back.
5 (29.4%)
I'm getting less back
4 (23.5%)
About the same
8 (47.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: What is your 2018 return looking like this year vs. last year?  (Read 3666 times)

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
What is your 2018 return looking like this year vs. last year?
« on: February 02, 2019, 05:43:37 pm »
I'm getting way less than last year because of f this. Of course I live in a high tax state.

But I'm not happy.

Offline Applewood

Re: What is your 2018 return looking like this year vs. last year?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 05:50:22 pm »
Don't know for sure yet, but I believe I might owe, thanks to Trump and his "tax reform." 

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 06:13:39 pm »
Get money back?  Why that's foolish. Why give the govt any of your hard earned money until you have too, and only as much as you have to. I plan to send them my tax check on April 15, as usual, and not before.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 06:25:57 pm »
Having to pay in about $3K.  Several factors contribute to that - kids no longer deductible, wife's job not collecting enough from her pay check and making too much money.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 05:11:36 am »
Get money back?  Why that's foolish. Why give the govt any of your hard earned money until you have too, and only as much as you have to. I plan to send them my tax check on April 15, as usual, and not before.

It can save you from a penalty if you have unexpected income the following year and you don't make estimated payments.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 07:09:46 am »
"I'm getting more back."??
"I'm getting less back"??

It's not about how much you are getting back, it is about how much you are paying.(Withholding tables were adjusted by the IRS so refunds may be less). (And/or your "effective tax rate" if you made substantially more or less $ this year).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:06:53 pm by Drago »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 07:23:30 pm »
It can save you from a penalty if you have unexpected income the following year and you don't make estimated payments.

I was much better before they came up with that darn underpayment penalty. Before you could file, but not pay on April 15, file exemptions until they ran out, and then send the payment after you received the 3rd demand letter. You would not be penalized and only charged interest.

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 01:59:34 pm »
Heaven't filed yet.  This is February.  It is likely that we'll owe, so I won't figure out taxes till closer to the April 15 deadline.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 03:02:09 pm »
Mine looks about the same.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 03:25:00 pm »
I'm paying instead of getting a refund.  We lost our itemized deductions, and personal exemptions no longer exist.   The standard deduction was doubled, but didn't nearly make up for the loss of the deductions we used to be able to take (primarily: home mortgage interest and state and local taxes).   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 03:30:51 pm »
@corbe, this poll would be more meaningful if respondents would also indicate if they are living in a blue state or a red state. 

Online corbe

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 03:48:37 pm »
   @Weird Tolkienish Figure see suggestion above.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 09:40:52 pm »
Paying about the same because I have a good accountant. I try to keep it as close to 0 as possible but I would rather pay a little than get a refund.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 08:51:36 am »
Always barely underpay. 

Nothing gets my blood pressure up quicker than being reminded I have funded this criminial government to the tune of $1.2M in my lifetime
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online libertybele

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 11:18:18 pm »
Live in a Red State.  We are getting a very small refund this year.  We entered into retirement, so our earnings are less and thankfully for now our tax bracket is lower.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 11:33:36 pm »
Biggest refund ever.  I'm kicking myself for letting the government have that money interest-free over the course of 2018.  I just redid my W-4.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online LadyLiberty

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 11:46:29 pm »
We are retired also, so the only real difference in income when comparing 2017 to 2018 was the booming stock market caused an RMD to go up -- so naturally we were going to owe more than in 2017.  I opened up TurboTax 2017 and changed the entry on the 2017 RMD to the 2018 RMD to see what would have happened under the "old rules," and the difference would have been $3600+ more than what we owed under the new plan. 

Even though we "double dipped" on real estate taxes by paying both 2017's and 2018's bill in 2018, we did not have enough other deductions to get us over the threshold and ended up taking the standard deduction (used the standard deduction in 2017 also).  House is paid off so no mortgage deduction.

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 12:18:46 am »
Got more.  Live in Red state.  Also had larger paychecks all year.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 12:25:21 am »
I had about $3100. withheld.  I will receive $2839 back as a refund.  I need to look at that this year.  I hate the Gov using my money tax free.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 04:33:55 am »
I lent less of my money to the government at 0% interest than I did last year.  888high58888 :patriot:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Applewood

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 05:32:23 pm »
Well, I finally got around to seeing my tax guy this morning.  I don't owe as I had expected, but I also didn't get a refund either.  A good result, considering I had expected to owe big time.  And really, even though it looks nice getting that nice deposit into my account in May or June or whenever refunds are issued -- why should Uncle Sam be holding onto my money interest-free for a year?    Best to end up with zero!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 05:42:54 pm »
Paid $2756 last year in addition to withholdings. This year the bill due is $427.  I live in a red state, fully retired, and the income and withholding were virtually the exact same both years.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2019, 11:08:26 pm »
Our federal tax obligation was 6% lower this year, compared to last year. Federal and state combined were 9.2% lower.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org