Author Topic: McConnell reportedly warned Trump about emergency declaration to build border wall  (Read 2157 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell reportedly warned Trump about emergency declaration to build border wall
By Tal Axelrod - 02/02/19 09:09 AM EST

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) reportedly warned President Trump this week that declaring a national emergency to build his U.S.–Mexico border wall could create a rift in the GOP conference.

The Washington Post reported Friday that McConnell told Trump the Senate could pass a resolution disapproving the emergency declaration.

Republican sources familiar with the matter told the Post that the Senate leader and the president talked one-on-one Tuesday at the White House.

The reported meeting came amid heightened concerns that the president would declare a national emergency and deploy the military to build the border wall if Congress could not agree to allocate the funds Trump has demanded.

The White House did not immediately respond to an inquiry from The Hill. McConnell's office declined to comment to The Hill.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/428177-mcconnell-warned-trump-about-emergency-declaration-to-build-border-wall
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I hope Trump listens to his own heart and conscience and remembers that McConnell is a status quo dude who is terrified of rocking any boats.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline libertybele

I hope Trump listens to his own heart and conscience and remembers that McConnell is a status quo dude who is terrified of rocking any boats.

McConnell has also been in the Senate long enough to know how unpopular a wall is with some of the RINO's and he is probably right that they could very well pass a resolution against the declaration.

Trump has been stating over and over again that he's going to declare a national emergency.  He should have kept quiet and just gone ahead with it.  His base would have cheered so loudly that the Senate might have gone along.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

Isn't keeping the party unified in the Senate McConnell's job? A bit like the police calling your house to warn you someone is breaking in.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Isn't keeping the party unified in the Senate McConnell's job? A bit like the police calling your house to warn you someone is breaking in.

I thought it was determined that there was a way to build the wall without an emergency declaration.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
McConnell has also been in the Senate long enough to know how unpopular a wall is with some of the RINO's and he is probably right that they could very well pass a resolution against the declaration.

Trump has been stating over and over again that he's going to declare a national emergency.  He should have kept quiet and just gone ahead with it.  His base would have cheered so loudly that the Senate might have gone along.

We don't really have much evidence to suggest that the wall is unpopular with a large segment of Republicans.  I think even the RINOs realize that the wall is popular with the electorate.

Democrats only hate the wall because it is a Trump signature thing, but I think even the RINOs in the party are becoming more accepting of Trump and realize that he is not their enemy and they'd better stick by him.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

But no one is breaking in and McConnell is projecting his own fears.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

McConnell's job is to keep what happens in the Senate in line with what the folks over on K.Street want to happen in the Senate.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

We don't really have much evidence to suggest that the wall is unpopular with a large segment of Republicans.  I think even the RINOs realize that the wall is popular with the electorate.

Democrats only hate the wall because it is a Trump signature thing, but I think even the RINOs in the party are becoming more accepting of Trump and realize that he is not their enemy and they'd better stick by him.

Really?  Not much evidence?   ...hmmm... how about the six GOP senators that voted to end the shutdown without funding for the wall??  What about the Senate falling short of votes for Trump's proposal that included 5.7B for the wall??

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/426852-six-gop-senators-vote-to-advance-stopgap-without-wall-funding

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Mesaclone

But no one is breaking in and McConnell is projecting his own fears.

Well, I think the true "NT/RINO's" like Romney, Sasse, Murkowski, Collins, Gardner and perhaps 3-4 others may fold....and vote with Dems to "rebuke" Trump's Emergency Declaration. But that won't matter, because it takes 2/3's of BOTH houses of congress to override...and there is no way in hell that 20 GOP Senators jump ship on the border. Just won't happen...and if it did you can bet that half of those clowns wouldn't survive their next election. Ditto for congress.

So this will get settled in the Courts...and its going to come down to Roberts and Kavanaugh in the end.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline libertybele

Well, I think the true "NT/RINO's" like Romney, Sasse, Murkowski, Collins, Gardner and perhaps 3-4 others may fold....and vote with Dems to "rebuke" Trump's Emergency Declaration. But that won't matter, because it takes 2/3's of BOTH houses of congress to override...and there is no way in hell that 20 GOP Senators jump ship on the border. Just won't happen...and if it did you can bet that half of those clowns wouldn't survive their next election. Ditto for congress.

So this will get settled in the Courts...and its going to come down to Roberts and Kavanaugh in the end.

We'll see if he even declares a national emergency.  I have my doubts.

Offline Mesaclone

We'll see if he even declares a national emergency.  I have my doubts.

He will, if congress doesn't give him the billions he's asking for.

This is why we elected him, and he understands this is the hill he must die fighting on if necessary...not building the wall ends effectively ends his presidency, and his ego won't allow that to happen (yes, the ego many despise in him is what will drive him to get this done...ironic, wouldn't you say).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 10:42:05 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Really?  Not much evidence?   ...hmmm... how about the six GOP senators that voted to end the shutdown without funding for the wall??  What about the Senate falling short of votes for Trump's proposal that included 5.7B for the wall??

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/426852-six-gop-senators-vote-to-advance-stopgap-without-wall-funding

Six senators is not a 'large segment.'  Plus they may hear from their constituents. The wall is popular with the people.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
He will, if congress doesn't give him the billions he's asking for.

This is why we elected him, and he understands this is the hill he must die fighting on if necessary...not building the wall ends effectively ends his presidency, and his ego won't allow that to happen (yes, the ego many despise in him is what will drive him to get this done...ironic, wouldn't you say).

I've watched a couple of news conferences in the last couple of days @Mesaclone and he has said nothing that indicates to me that he is willing to back down.  I'm not sure if it's ego or conviction but either way ...

And @libertybele is a perfect example of people who desperately want a wall and border security but do not support the one person who feels the same way and constantly nit pick him because:  he didn't do it sooner; he didn't wave a wand and do it' and blah, blah, blah.

Offline libertybele

Six senators is not a 'large segment.'  Plus they may hear from their constituents. The wall is popular with the people.

Yes, of course the wall is popular with the people.  That's what got him elected.  We know that.  McConnell was referring to the situation in the Senate and the possibility that they just might declare a resolution against his declaration.  As I've stated several times before, I don't trust this Senate.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Yes, of course the wall is popular with the people.  That's what got him elected.  We know that.  McConnell was referring to the situation in the Senate and the possibility that they just might declare a resolution against his declaration.  As I've stated several times before, I don't trust this Senate.

Apparently, you don't trust anybody and you never get tired of whining.

Offline libertybele

I've watched a couple of news conferences in the last couple of days @Mesaclone and he has said nothing that indicates to me that he is willing to back down.  I'm not sure if it's ego or conviction but either way ...

And @libertybele is a perfect example of people who desperately want a wall and border security but do not support the one person who feels the same way and constantly nit pick him because:  he didn't do it sooner; he didn't wave a wand and do it' and blah, blah, blah.

Oh good grief @Emjay, you're a perfect example of someone who cast stones at others to try to make themselves look good.   I refuse to give Trump a free pass.  To give a free pass to any politician, including the president, is absurd and quite frankly, not too bright.

Offline Mesaclone

Oh good grief @Emjay, you're a perfect example of someone who cast stones at others to try to make themselves look good.   I refuse to give Trump a free pass.  To give a free pass to any politician, including the president, is absurd and quite frankly, not too bright.

No, the absurdity is that you think any of us give ANY politician a free pass. We don't. Those who act is if only they have their eyes wide open are generally those who can see the least.

Emjay critiques the President when he deserves it...not just when YOU think he deserves it. As do ALL of us who are supporting the President.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Ha, ha.  I didn't criticize you to make myself look good.  I just look good.

It's obvious you don't give Trump a free pass, or a costly pass.  It just amazes me that you post constantly and always with a whiny, negative slant.

There is no other leader who has been passionate about the border.  No other President.  No other high official.  And you keep saying you want the border fixed.  And you keep second guessing Trump and posting about what he should have done, etc.

I only post to you and not some NTers because I think there might be hope for you.

Offline Mesaclone

I agree, Emjay. I think he's been a rock on this issue...his firmness on this and other issues is making the Dems look a hive of angry...crazy...bees. Whether its ego or conviction driving him...or likely a combination of both...it blends into a kind of steel that is exactly what's needed to win this Border Wall fight in the long run.

Offline libertybele

I agree, Emjay. I think he's been a rock on this issue...his firmness on this and other issues is making the Dems look a hive of angry...crazy...bees. Whether its ego or conviction driving him...or likely a combination of both...it blends into a kind of steel that is exactly what's needed to win this Border Wall fight in the long run.

Obviously, him winning the border wall fight is yet to be seen.  He very well could build a wall, I'm just not so sure that we're going to like the result of how it's accomplished. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Mesaclone wrote:
"Well, I think the true "NT/RINO's" like Romney, Sasse, Murkowski, Collins, Gardner and perhaps 3-4 others may fold....and vote with Dems to "rebuke" Trump's Emergency Declaration. But that won't matter, because it takes 2/3's of BOTH houses of congress to override...and there is no way in hell that 20 GOP Senators jump ship on the border. Just won't happen.."

You're right, as usual.

But... isn't there something more?
That is -- I believe the "votes to disapprove" by both Houses of Congress must occur within 60 days of each other, or "the clock is reset".

That is to say, even if the Senate voted 2/3 in disapproval, if the House didn't vote the same within that 60-day time frame, the Senate's vote would be of no effect and they'd have to re-vote.

At least, that's what I recall reading.
I could be wrong.

Offline montanajoe

Trump's chance of reelection may very well be dependent on a "Wall"...

The individual members of the GOP in Congress don't feel that pressure. What they do know is that every reaction of one party has a several orders of magnitude counter reaction by the opposing party when they eventually regain control as they always do...

Trump is in tune with his "base" and he apparently believes that base is large enough to assure his reelection, but it is clear that he is not winning members of Congress over to that point of view. The GOP  in Congress are looking at him as one and done and simply are not willing to give a future Dim president override power through the precedent of a emergency resolution that with 100% certainty will be used against them and the American people.... :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 03:10:36 am by montanajoe »

Offline libertybele

Trump's chance of reelection may very well be dependent on a "Wall"...

The individual members of the GOP in Congress don't feel that pressure. What they do know is that every reaction of one party has a several orders of magnitude counter reaction by the opposing party when they eventually regain control as they always do...

Trump is in tune with his "base" and he apparently believes that base is large enough to assure his reelection, but it is clear that he is not winning members of Congress over to that point of view. The GOP  in Congress are looking at him as one and done and simply are not willing to give a future Dim president override power through the precedent of a emergency resolution that with 100% certainty will be used against them and the American people.... :shrug:

Exactly!!  There have been several times in the past that presidents have declared national emergencies.  We are living in different times. The DEMS have proven over and over again that they will stop at nothing to accomplish what they want and the party has moved so far left that it is frightening.

Offline LegalAmerican

YES.  I loathe that RINO....whatever it takes to keep his job. Not concerned about America safety or the constitution.
McConnell helped Obama for 8 years!  Harry Reid, did not present over 500 bill's from republicans, they were DOA on his desk. Reid and Obama WOULD NOT WORK WITH THE REPUBLICANS, even said that on TV nationally, yet BLAMED republicans for everything. They had no power, and McConnell did NOTHING. He didn't help much with Brett K. fiasco either.  AHOLE needs to retire.  Most of them do.