Author Topic: Houston police chief says union president went 'over the top' with comments following shooting  (Read 1226 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by Julian Gill 2/1/2019

After a shooting injured five Houston police officers earlier this week, Chief Art Acevedo called the union president's fiery response to the attack "over the top" during a press conference on Thursday.

The shooting, which left four officers shot, another injured, and two suspects dead in a failed drug raid in southeast Houston on Monday, was among the most violent incidents for Houston police in recent history.

During a Monday night press conference, Union President Joe Gamaldi made an emotional call to end police shootings. Then he took aim at "the ones out there spreading the rhetoric that police officers are the enemy."

"Well just know that we've all got your number now," Gamaldi said. "We're going to be keeping track of all of y'all, and we're gonna make sure that we hold you accountable every time you stir the pot on our police officers."

Gamaldi appeared on Fox & Friends just two days later and doubled down on those comment, calling out "activists who have severely made our officers the enemy."

"They've put targets on our backs," he told the national news outlet.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-police-chief-says-union-president-went-13580314.php

Offline GrouchoTex

I disagree with the Chief. The Head of the Police Officers union was spot on.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
During a Monday night press conference, Union President Joe Gamaldi made an emotional call to end police shootings. Then he took aim at "the ones out there spreading the rhetoric that police officers are the enemy."

"Well just know that we've all got your number now," Gamaldi said. "We're going to be keeping track of all of y'all, and we're gonna make sure that we hold you accountable every time you stir the pot on our police officers."

So, if you bitch about a parking ticket on social media, the police 'have your number'?

If you question what looks like a bad shoot, they're "going to hold you accountable"?

No, I can't agree with that at all.

I'm not anti police, by any measure, but all public servants should be held to account by those they serve if there appears to be something questionable going on, otherwise, who is guarding the guards?

Making such unquestionable because you will be "held to account" and "we've got your number" reeks of the potential abuse of power under color of law that none wants (except maybe a few corrupt cops).

Someone needs to get off the Ft. Apache high horse and explain their actions.

BTW, this is being described as a "failed drug raid". What 'failed' in the drug raid? The alleged perps were killed and the police recovered whatever drugs were present.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GrouchoTex

Naw, he's frustrated because police are being shot at, in Houston, and around the country, more often now, starting with the whole "hands up, don't shoot" false narrative.

If you can find his complete comments, it's less of a police state mentality than this comment comes out as.

Also, the story is, and undercover agent purchased black tar heroin from these people before they came with the warrant.

Also not mentioned anywhere, this house is one block from Milby High School, so now you've got a heroin dealer in very close proximity to a high school.

Sure, all public servants should be accountable for their actions, I agree.

Still, I don't think he's wrong in saying that law enforcement now has a target on their backs.

It starts with trust, and there are those out their trying, purposely, to erode that trust.

Offline Smokin Joe

Naw, he's frustrated because police are being shot at, in Houston, and around the country, more often now, starting with the whole "hands up, don't shoot" false narrative.

If you can find his complete comments, it's less of a police state mentality than this comment comes out as.

Also, the story is, and undercover agent purchased black tar heroin from these people before they came with the warrant.

Also not mentioned anywhere, this house is one block from Milby High School, so now you've got a heroin dealer in very close proximity to a high school.

Sure, all public servants should be accountable for their actions, I agree.

Still, I don't think he's wrong in saying that law enforcement now has a target on their backs.

It starts with trust, and there are those out their trying, purposely, to erode that trust.
I have to ask, then, where is the heroin, where are the drugs, where is the cash?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GrouchoTex

I have to ask, then, where is the heroin, where are the drugs, where is the cash?

Good questions.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Until more facts come out, I tend to believe some unknown-to-me union official over Acevedo.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Police identify powder recovered in deadly drug raid

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/houston/article/Powder-found-in-police-raid-identified-13578839.php

Three days after the botched drug raid that left two residents dead and five officers wounded, authorities identified the unknown powder they found at the scene of the bloody bust.

The Thursday news conference revealed that the powder was cocaine, perhaps answering one of the nagging questions raised after the Pecan Park raid targeting a pair of alleged heroin dealers.

Offline Smokin Joe

Police identify powder recovered in deadly drug raid

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/houston/article/Powder-found-in-police-raid-identified-13578839.php
Three days to do what they do on Live PD in 5 minutes....

Where is all the heroin these "heroin dealers" were dealing? Paraphernalia? Cash?  :shrug:

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I want to see some video documentation and/or radio traffic recording to substantiate the case for murdering those two people.  I would think the BLM wing of the HO Cron would be after this info.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.