State Chapters > Florida

DeSantis signs executive order to abolish Common Core in Florida

(1/2) > >>

Right_in_Virginia:
DeSantis signs executive order to abolish Common Core in Florida
Fox 35 Orlando, Jan 31, 2019

CAPE CORAL, Fla. (FOX 13) - In another reversal of former Florida Gov. Scott's policies, Gov. Ron DeSantis ordered an end to Common Core-type educational standards in Florida.

DeSantis’ executive order directs Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran to develop a road map for a new way to educate the sunshine state’s students.

Florida moved to a Common Core-type system under former Gov. Rick Scott, a change aimed at matching standards for other students in the U.S.

State leaders made some tweaks to Common Core, and re-branded it as ‘Florida Standards’ but they remain very similar to Common Core.

[...]

“One of the things we would constantly hear about on the campaign trail was a lot of frustration from parents in particular with this idea of Common Core," said Gov. DeSantis. "When you complained... I heard you. I told you I'd do something about it. And today we are acting to bring promises to reality."

DeSantis gave the order to replace Common Core-type standards with a new system that increases the quality of curriculum, and places a higher emphasis on teaching civics.

More:  http://www.fox35orlando.com/news/politics/desantis-signs-executive-order-to-abolish-common-core

rustynail:
Did he clear this with a Federal Judge?

Frank Cannon:
Good move DeSoto.

libertybele:
Awesome!  This is great news!!!  DeSantis is certainly off to a great start.

Smokin Joe:
49 more to go!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version