Author Topic: DeSantis signs executive order to abolish Common Core in Florida  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

DeSantis signs executive order to abolish Common Core in Florida
« on: February 01, 2019, 12:05:04 am »
DeSantis signs executive order to abolish Common Core in Florida
Fox 35 Orlando, Jan 31, 2019

CAPE CORAL, Fla. (FOX 13) - In another reversal of former Florida Gov. Scott's policies, Gov. Ron DeSantis ordered an end to Common Core-type educational standards in Florida.

DeSantis’ executive order directs Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran to develop a road map for a new way to educate the sunshine state’s students.

Florida moved to a Common Core-type system under former Gov. Rick Scott, a change aimed at matching standards for other students in the U.S.

State leaders made some tweaks to Common Core, and re-branded it as ‘Florida Standards’ but they remain very similar to Common Core.

[...]

“One of the things we would constantly hear about on the campaign trail was a lot of frustration from parents in particular with this idea of Common Core," said Gov. DeSantis. "When you complained... I heard you. I told you I'd do something about it. And today we are acting to bring promises to reality."

DeSantis gave the order to replace Common Core-type standards with a new system that increases the quality of curriculum, and places a higher emphasis on teaching civics.

More:  http://www.fox35orlando.com/news/politics/desantis-signs-executive-order-to-abolish-common-core

Online rustynail

Re: DeSantis signs executive order to abolish Common Core in Florida
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 12:10:50 am »
Did he clear this with a Federal Judge?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 12:32:57 am »
Good move DeSoto.

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 05:21:22 am »
Awesome!  This is great news!!!  DeSantis is certainly off to a great start.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 05:27:36 am »
49 more to go!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 05:30:24 am »
49 more to go!

It's only 49 in Florida. Everywhere else it is between 18 and 73.4. It all depends on how you feel about the number.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 05:33:36 am »
It's only 49 in Florida. Everywhere else it is between 18 and 73.4. It all depends on how you feel about the number.
The way the greenies act, those are Celsius.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis