Author Topic: U mad, little man? Study claims short men are angrier, more prone to violence  (Read 3730 times)

Offline corbe

U mad, little man? Study claims short men are angrier, more prone to violence

By  Circa  and KUTV

SALT LAKE CITY (CIRCA via KUTV) -- Height may influence anger in men.

New research published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta shows short people are angrier and more violent than tall people.

About 600 men between the ages of 18 and 50 were quizzed ongender, self-image and behavior in relation to drugs, violence and crime.

<..snip..>

https://www.circa.com/story/2019/01/30/nation/u-mad-little-man-study-claims-short-men-are-angrier-more-prone-to-violence
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
They got no reason to live.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline the_doc

U mad, little man? Study claims short men are angrier, more prone to violence

By  Circa  and KUTV

SALT LAKE CITY (CIRCA via KUTV) -- Height may influence anger in men.

New research published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta shows short people are angrier and more violent than tall people.

This may be the first study of its type, but it is otherwise no news at all.  Doctors have long recognized this problem.

Offline corbe

Unfortunately, the study didn't mention anything about large Men with 'short' fingers.  :whistle:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
@corbe Nope, just that they got grubby little fingers and dirty little minds.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I have personally witnessed this. Nothing scientific included in what I'm about to say but throughout my life, virtually all of the smaller than normal stature men I have encountered have been afflicted with what I call "The Napoleonic Complex".  For some unknown reason, they think they have to prove what badasses they are 24/7/365.   Never will understand it but seen it many many times.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I've seen it too. 

BTW - Napoleon was of average height.  Not sure why he was developed into a complex.

Offline roamer_1

Unless they're really little, and they don't mind dwarf-tossin'....

Offline libertybele

Indeed.  I can recall several short men who were or are azzholes and always thought they had to prove themselves and seemed to try to convince people that they were better than everyone else or knew it all.  Pesky, annoying little men!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Got a guy like this at work. Likeable guy, but to work with he's a high strung little rooster.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Wingnut

They got little baby legs
And they stand so low
You got to pick 'em up
Just to say hello

Offline the_doc

@Sanguine

I've seen it too. 

BTW - Napoleon was of average height.  Not sure why he was developed into a complex.

I've often wondered about that. 

As an aside, Napoleon was seemingly obsessed with stature--so much so that he put only his tallest guys in his famous Grenadiers, who were invariably the front line troops in his battles.  Most of them appear to have been killed off in the Napoleonic Wars--which is the reason some scientists have offered to explain why French people are shorter than average Europeans.  Almost an entire generation of tall French men of procreative age were supposedly wiped out.

(I haven't seen the study but I did read the summary umpteen years ago.)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
They got little baby legs
And they stand so low
You got to pick 'em up
Just to say hello

@The Ghost

I am a short guy. I was at a party once in the early 70's talking to a hot woman,and this tall idiot I had never seen before in my life comes up and starts singing those lyrics to me. Which was bad enough. Then he decided to pick me up to talk to me in order to embarrass me and impress the woman. Bad move.

I bet he's never done that again.

When you are smaller than most,you can't afford to allow large people to get their hands on you,so you just put their freaking lights out the instant they start on you.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline corbe

Thus proving the point @sneakypete

Your bravado here outmatches mine and I'm 6' tall. 
   I know better than to mess with you!

Offline roamer_1

@The Ghost

I am a short guy. [...]
When you are smaller than most,you can't afford to allow large people to get their hands on you,so you just put their freaking lights out the instant they start on you.

@sneakypete
I will tell you the other side of that with honesty...
I am huge. Even as wrecked as I am, I can walk off with 500 lbs... Ain't many can stand in my way if I am pissed.

But it's always been the bantams that gave me the most trouble. Don't get me wrong, if I get a hold on em, they're done - But getting a hold on em is always easier said than done. I will get it done, but I always pay more for it than I figure on.

Another funny thing - My partners, my best friends, tend to be bantams... Tends to work out that we cover each the other's weaknesses. I've got all the strong I'll ever need, but nimble comes in handy a lot of times... Big as I am, I tend to be a ground dweller... mighty nice to have a guy around that can monkey up a frame... That sort of thing.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
@sneakypete
I will tell you the other side of that with honesty...
I am huge. Even as wrecked as I am, I can walk off with 500 lbs... Ain't many can stand in my way if I am pissed.

But it's always been the bantams that gave me the most trouble. Don't get me wrong, if I get a hold on em, they're done - But getting a hold on em is always easier said than done. I will get it done, but I always pay more for it than I figure on.

Another funny thing - My partners, my best friends, tend to be bantams... Tends to work out that we cover each the other's weaknesses. I've got all the strong I'll ever need, but nimble comes in handy a lot of times... Big as I am, I tend to be a ground dweller... mighty nice to have a guy around that can monkey up a frame... That sort of thing.
@roamer_1
Yea, I know. I'm a big MFer too. Well over 6ft and ~240lbs. I have trouble in a crowd because all the little people are just too fragile and I am ungainly. I tend to to get to where I want to go by the most direct means possible. And usually that mean bumping people accidentally. Can't help it. I'm big.

Being big is great, but it does have some disadvantages. When you are out of the median on either side of the bell curve, you are bound to run into problems. And yes, I have had to deliberately and mentally stop myself from killing people. I have had little guys challenge me when I knew that if I hit them, I would kill them. And that stopped me. I didn't want to hurt the little guy in the way that I knew I would hurt them. So I let it go. They may perceive this as weakness, when it is in fact pure strength.

It is harder to find a fair fight when you are large. You learn to let things go simply to stay out of jail. I have no need to prove anything, and I have no desire to hurt anyone unless they force the issue.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 04:57:58 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@roamer_1
Yea, I know. I'm a big MFer too. Well over 6ft and ~240lbs. I have trouble in a crowd because all the little people are just too fragile and I am ungainly. I tend to to get to where I want to go by the most direct means possible. And usually that mean bumping people accidentally. Can't help it. I'm big.

Being big is great, but it does have some disadvantages. When you are out of the median on either side of the bell curve, you are bound to run into problems. And yes, I have had to deliberately and mentally stop myself from killing people. I have had little guys challenge me when I knew that if I hit them, I would kill them. And that stopped me. I didn't want to hurt the little guy in the way that I knew I would hurt them. So I let it go. They may perceive this as weakness, when it is in fact pure strength.

It is harder to find a fair fight when you are large. You learn to let things go simply to stay out of jail. I have no need to prove anything, and I have no desire to hurt anyone unless they force the issue.

@240B

In my personal experience, what you said is well known to these guys and they take full advantage.  There is a reason why they pick big guys to engage when they are trying to show how bad they are.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

And usually that mean bumping people accidentally. Can't help it. I'm big.

@240B
Folks mostly just get out of my way... Just in case I might fall down... But yeah... I am hard on folks without even trying... Women too... In the same sort of way as a Clydesdale... You've got to learn where not to be around them big boys, because they will mess you up and not even mean to. Add to that, that I tend toward petite women, and I have to be mighty careful around em all the time.

Being big is great, but it does have some disadvantages.

When I finally got tired of tusslin, I just quit going to bars, because sure as shooting, every time I walked in the door, there was some dude trying to make his bones on the biggest guy in the room (which is pretty much always me). That is the biggest disadvantage. I ain't got nothin to prove, but somebody else always does.

The other big disadvantage is there ain't no where to hide... If I did something, I might as well stand there and wait for the cops, because 40 people saw me do it, and there ain't no way I can sneak off with anonymity... Pretty much ever.

And lastly, for some reason, folks just equate big with being dumb... It is forever my bane. Add to that a redneck drawl, which is natural in me, And folks just assume I ain't too bright. Soon enough it turns out the other way around, but the interim is a bother.

It is harder to find a fair fight when you are large. You learn to let things g
o simply to stay out of jail. I have no need to prove anything, and I have no desire to hurt anyone unless they force the issue.

I was never hard in nature... Just a bit rowdy. And I liked tusslin. Though my dad taught me never to throw the first punch, so as a general principle, I always had a theoretical argument toward self defense... Then, when I proceeded to tear a guy down, three or four of his buddies would jump in, whereupon I had self defense as proper and legit as it comes.

So normally, I'd just get hauled in and have to wait out the weekend to see a judge, just to have the charges dropped, as I was seldom the instigator.

But yeah... Sooner or later, a guy gets tired of all that row, night after night, week after week... I don't know how to be nice, and when I hulk out, folks go to the hospital... Sometimes lots of folks... Eventually I didn't need the guilt of that. Some time around thirty or thirty-five I started bowing out of that life. Got out of rodeo, stopped going to bars, stayed away from the race track, and things calmed down considerably. mo bedda.

Offline GrouchoTex

I don't get it.
I am only about 5'6".
I don't have any anger issues.
I guess when I was younger, and more likely to be picked on for it, I'd get upset by it, but who doesn't?
Most of that was jr. high school type b.s. anyway.

FYI, I am the same size and weight as Jose Altuve, but he's seemed to do just a little bit better than I at his size and weight.
I am in shape, if you consider round as a shape.
 :cool:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I don't get it.
I am only about 5'6".
I don't have any anger issues.
I guess when I was younger, and more likely to be picked on for it, I'd get upset by it, but who doesn't?
Most of that was jr. high school type b.s. anyway.

FYI, I am the same size and weight as Jose Altuve, but he's seemed to do just a little bit better than I at his size and weight.
I am in shape, if you consider round as a shape.
 :cool:

@GrouchoTex

Well,there is more to this equation than height. A lot of it has to do if you look harmless,most people looking to appear "badass" will leave you alone because in their minds there seems to be no "status" to scaring or beating into submission someone that seems harmless.

All during the 70's and 80's I  had long hair and a beard,and rode custom Harley's I built myself. This was back when they were called "choppers". I could also do multiple repetition 430 lb dead lifts,which means I was fairly bulked up even though I didn't look strong enough to do that. Plus I took Shorin-Ryu for a little more than a year on Okinawa,and was usually alcohol-powered and didn't much care what I said to who once the words started flying.

I didn't go looking for trouble and was never rude to strangers on purpose,but for some reason a lot of people seemed to think the fact that I was alone meant I would bow to them instead of stand my ground. I learned early in life that if you did that,people would NEVER leave you alone,but that if you did a fair job of thumping their melon,people tended to leave you in peace. Wannabe bullies can live with being beaten by someone that looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger,but they know if they get beaten by a little guy THEY will become the target of bullies themselves.

Remember,a bully doesn't really want to fight,and most will go out of their way to avoid an actual fight. What they want to do is intimidate someone to the point they wet their pants so they can tell everybody how scary they are.

Hard to brag about being a "bad man" when you get your ass whipped in public by somebody 5'6".

I might get whipped,but I don't back down from anybody and I WILL draw blood and maybe break a bone or two before I go down. AND......,even then that doesn't mean it is over. If you started it and it takes a 68 Buick Electra 225 at 60 MPH to whip you,there will be a Buick in your future.

You don't have to do that but a time or two and wannabe bullies tend to leave you alone,and you can have fun and live a peaceful life. I had a highschool redneck I went to school with who was jealous because I was dating a girl he wanted to date,and he was constantly running his mouth at me,and then backing down when it started to get steamy. A couple of years later I am out getting drunk with friends the night before getting transferred to Okinawa for a minimum of  18 months,and he shows up sober,challenges me to a fight,and hits me from behind as we are walking to the rear of the bar. He then jumps on me and starts choking me. My friends dragged him off and ran him off,but I had to leave the next day.

2 years later I was back home on leave,and went looking for him. I didn't see him,but I guess somebody warned  him I was coming and he decided to run away and hide,but was drunk and ran out in front of a car when he crossed the road.  I wasn't even within 2 miles of him at the time. I was looking for him in another bar. I didn't even find out about it until a couple of days later when I asked someone if they had seen him or knew where he was.

People tend to leave you alone of they know there is a price to be paid,but you will never know a minutes of peace if you cower.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 08:49:43 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GrouchoTex

In school I had a few fights, but none as an adult.
I'm thinking the last one, I was 16 or so.
I guess I've been fortunate.
No issues arose where I've needed to.
It's funny, I was recalling this the other day to a friend of mine.
The only fight I lost was to a kid who was smaller than me.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
They got no reason to live.

As a petite woman I hate that song.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
I have the amazing ability to not be noticed so I rarely encounter trouble.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
 One advantage a smaller guy has, is he may be underestimated regarding"fighting" ability.

That advantage grows, if he is skilled in fighting; boxing, wrestling, etc.

I remember more than one small guy from East LA-Whittier street fighting ranks, stand bravely before big guys, ready to disect them in seconds.

One was a Japanese-American guy (vet) that grew up among Hispanic gang fighters. He was tiny, but fearless incl. used martial arts.

Some others* were white guys, that had always needed to be tough, to hold their on against Hispanic bad boys.

Small, very fast and very agressive is often the opening act of "the bigger they are, the harder they fall."

* one such spent 37years in US Army combat arms assignments, retiring with 3 stars.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline corbe

A German dude, Thomas Martin, 3 years older than me use to whip my azz in Jr. High cause I was seeing his beautiful little sister, Betty AND his Girlfriend Belinda. Fortunately my Mother picked up and moved her Family to Texas ending the weekly whoopins.