Author Topic: DoD Official: Department Can Begin Wall Construction Without State of Emergency  (Read 4589 times)

Online libertybele

Well, honestly, I do believe it is C and I made the other two comments as acerbic observations. He can’t really do this proposal first, because it’s yet another step between the negotiations cave and emergency declaration, which he’s already threatened, with no mention of this. People will say ‘so much for the emergency.’ If it fails and he tries to do the same exact thing as an emergency measure, it’ll look foolish. His only real option is the emergency gambit.  He’s hesitated to do it, because once implemented, it’s completely out of his hands. In the meantime, it still has some value as a threat in the negotiations, but only if the opposition thinks it can be done. So far, they’ve shown no fear of it.

They show no fear because they have proven to be ruthless and even with a GOP majority for the past 4 years, they so far are still in control. 

I have no expectations whatsoever that the wall will be built with a DEM majority in the House.  None.  For one, Trump keeps saying what he's gong to do if they don't give him what they want.  Idle threats that only allow them to regroup on their strategy and plan their next move.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

@libertybele

I got that information a while ago from two ranchers who had notice of the start of eminent domain to take their property.  I try to be sure of the truth of information before I put it on here.  :beer:

Again, I find it interesting that there has been no $$ allocated from Congress for the wall, yet they are already starting the eminent domain process.  They are taking land for a wall that may or may not get built.  Or, am I missing something here?

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
They show no fear because they have proven to be ruthless and even with a GOP majority for the past 4 years, they so far are still in control. 

I have no expectations whatsoever that the wall will be built with a DEM majority in the House.  None.  For one, Trump keeps saying what he's gong to do if they don't give him what they want.  Idle threats that only allow them to regroup on their strategy and plan their next move.

Idle threats are an invitation.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
They are taking land for a wall that may or may not get built.  Or, am I missing something here?

They’re rebranding an Obama program - Cash for Caliche.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online libertybele

They’re rebranding an Obama program - Cash for Caliche.

Once that land is taken by eminent domain, the government can use that land for ANYTHING.  As an example they could build a highway to join Mexico, the U.S. and Canada.  Just a thought and a hunch I've had for a very long time, ever since Giuliani came into the picture.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
bele wrote:
"Except that have already started the process of eminent domain without $$$ from Congress to build the wall which is why their land is being taken in the first place"

That's called "site preparation", I believe...  ;)

Offline Victoria33

Again, I find it interesting that there has been no $$ allocated from Congress for the wall, yet they are already starting the eminent domain process.  They are taking land for a wall that may or may not get built.  Or, am I missing something here?
@libertybele
@mystery-ak
@QueenCatofAragon

As soon as it is definite Trump is building the wall, has money, the owners will be told the amount of money they will get and if they don't agree to that amount, it goes to court and the judge will decide how much money they get, but the land will go to the government once this happens - their land will be taken.

What you think you own, you don't.  The larger government gets, the less you have that is yours.  Plus, whatever the government controls that involves your life (federal taxes, state taxes, medical care, car license rules, etc., they can change the rules, and you lose and can't do jack about it.  Yes, I am old, and remember my parents were in charge of their life, no federal medical care, no federal programs, they either did it on their own, or became vagrants or went to a "Poor Farm".  There was a Poor Farm maybe six miles from the house, and poor people went there to live and grow food.  Homeless men would come to the house and Mom would give them food and water.

I have watched government grow until this time period.  It will continue as more laws will be written taking more from us, year by year.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

@libertybele
@mystery-ak
@QueenCatofAragon

As soon as it is definite Trump is building the wall, has money, the owners will be told the amount of money they will get and if they don't agree to that amount, it goes to court and the judge will decide how much money they get, but the land will go to the government once this happens - their land will be taken.

What you think you own, you don't.  The larger government gets, the less you have that is yours.  Plus, whatever the government controls that involves your life (federal taxes, state taxes, medical care, car license rules, etc., they can change the rules, and you lose and can't do jack about it.  Yes, I am old, and remember my parents were in charge of their life, no federal medical care, no federal programs, they either did it on their own, or became vagrants or went to a "Poor Farm".  There was a Poor Farm maybe six miles from the house, and poor people went there to live and grow food.  Homeless men would come to the house and Mom would give them food and water.

I have watched government grow until this time period.  It will continue as more laws will be written taking more from us, year by year.

@Victoria33

My husband and I both dreamed on the same night that the government came and took our house, so I don't know what to think of that.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Online libertybele

@libertybele
@mystery-ak
@QueenCatofAragon

It sure seems gone are the 'good days'.  Thank you for the information @Victoria33.  I am saddened for the ranchers -- but most of all for this country.  America has changed dramatically.  That is for certain.

Offline Victoria33

@Victoria33

My husband and I both dreamed on the same night that the government came and took our house, so I don't know what to think of that.
@QueenCatofAragon

If you don't pay your federal income tax, they can take your house.  Years ago, I knew someone who lost their house to the govern. from unpaid taxes.

Years ago, I worked a summer job with a company that was putting in TV cable.  I was there just three months.  When I did our taxes, I had a IRA contribution which I took off taxes.  Some time later, the IRS sent a letter saying I could not take that off because I worked at a company that had a retirement plan (it was just a summer job for me and I had no idea they had a retirement plan).  They said unless we paid the extra amount we owed by a certain date, they would take it out of our bank.

We naturally sent them the money along with a letter from my husband who verbally trashed them for saying they would take it out of our bank.

The government can take all you have - you really own nothing.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 02:50:09 am by Victoria33 »

Online libertybele

@QueenCatofAragon

If you don't pay your federal income tax, they can take your house.  Years ago, I knew someone who lost their house to the govern. from unpaid taxes.

Years ago, I worked a summer job with a company that was putting in TV cable.  I was there just three months.  When I did our taxes, I had a IRA contribution which I took off taxes.  Some time later, the IRS sent a letter saying I could not take that off because I worked at a company that had a retirement plan (it was just a summer job for me and I had no idea they had a retirement plan).  They said unless we paid the extra amount we owed by a certain date, they would take it out of our bank.

We naturally sent them the money along with a letter from my husband who verbally trashed them for saying they would take it out of our bank.

The government can take all you have - you really own nothing.

Reminds me of "The Grapes of Wrath".

Offline edpc

Trump needs more land for his vineyard.

Offline corbe

Though the original Spanish Land Grants were enshrined in our Republic's Constitution and later the US said they would honour them also when we became a State, it was crap for the most part.
   Since the first Texans arrived in the early 1700's, someone has been stealing the land we stole from the native Indians and it apparently continues to this day.

This is a picture of the US Post Office in downtown San Antonio (across the street from the Alamo) The property it sits on was deeded to my GGGGGrandfather by King Phillip V of Spain in 1730, no one, ever, in my family has been compensated for this. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
A glimpse at hope??

works for me and it's obvious the President is gonna have to do it without Congress.  Dems are getting a black eye on this.  They may actually hope that Trump uses some method like this.  Let's them off the hook.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Eminent domain, especially for military and drug interdiction operations, does NOT require an emergency declaration. Where are you getting THAT from?

That's what I always understood @Mesaclone

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Eminent domain is used by the Federal government constantly...for building freeways and a vast array of "public use" purposes, none of which are tied to an emergency declaration. An emergency declaration would allow the president to allocate certain funds for such a project, but utilizing military resources to build a structure...or, for example, a military base...implicitly allows the use of eminent domain. Property owners must be fairly compensated...that's pretty much the only real limitation barring specific legislative limitations which in the case of a wall do not apply.

Certainly, declaring an emergency simplifies much of the process...but the truth is the government uses eminent domain on the border already.

The best news....most of the border lands along the Arizona and New Mexico regions is already on public land. Texas...that's a problem as the land is mostly private.

Yes, but most of the landowners in Texas would be very amenable to selling their land to make room for a wall.  It wouldn't have to be that much land.  Those ranches are dang big down there.

And, excuse me, why the negativity around here?  Any particular reason?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
   Though the original Spanish Land Grants were enshrined in our Republic's Constitution and later the US said they would honour them also when we became a State, it was crap for the most part.
   Since the first Texans arrived in the early 1700's, someone has been stealing the land we stole from the native Indians and it apparently continues to this day.

This is a picture of the US Post Office in downtown San Antonio (across the street from the Alamo) The property it sits on was deeded to my GGGGGrandfather by King Phillip V of Spain in 1730, no one, ever, in my family has been compensated for this.

Sounds like a job for F. Lee Bailey @corbe

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Thank you for the information.  I find it very interesting that the process has already been started.

I am allergic to constant whining @libertybele   I may have to put you on ignore to protect my sinuses.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

OK, but here is the problem: If this was so easy, why hasn’t it been done already or mentioned as an option? In his last statement, Trump said there would either be a government shut down or a national emergency declaration. So, we can reasonably arrive at three conclusions....

A)  Trump has hired the worst people he could find, who need
      Western Journal to explain his authority under US law.

B)  He’s never had intention of following through.

C)  It’s a lot more complicated than the article leads us to believe.

While A and B are plausible, C is the most likely explanation.

D) All of the Above, but mostly C.

I can't count how many times conservatives told me from Pat Buchannan to Trump, "We don't need new legislation, just enforce the laws on the books."  From Reagan to Trump all we've gotten were excuses and promises.  For 2 years the GOP has controlled the executive branch which I was taught enforces the law, and the legislative branch which I was taught passes new legislation. 

It's too bad a charismatic GOP leader did not run, and get elected on the issue of immigration in 2016, and enforce them...
else I'd imagine the base GOP would erode instead of make pathetic excuses like the media is biased and the rats cheat(no duh?)

It hasn't been done yet because he is controlling the narrative.

The narrative is President Trump is a liar, an idiot, and insane on my TV.

I am allergic to constant whining @libertybele   I may have to put you on ignore to protect my sinuses.

Don't believe it @libertybele .  It may sound like you are tantalizingly close, but @Emjay never follows through with this threat.

Online libertybele

Don't believe it @libertybele .  It may sound like you are tantalizingly close, but @Emjay never follows through with this threat.

Quite frankly @Once-Ler I really don't give a damn what he thinks.   :rolling:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:41:56 pm by libertybele »

Online libertybele

A and B are clearly false...C is partly right, in that it IS legally complex as is everything the government does.

The real answer is D, the President is setting up the conditions in which he either orders the military to start construction OR declares an emergency and uses contracted civilians (perhaps along with military construction).

It hasn't been done yet because he is controlling the narrative...let the Dems feel like they are winning and getting something. In truth, all they've "won" is a brief hiatus prior to the start of construction. He is now the compromising and reasonable party...the President who's striving to make a bipartisan agreement with congress in spite of their hatred for him....and needs to demonstrate that to Independents and moderates (who do matter for electoral purposes).

One question of many I have is, why didn't he make the push for a wall in the very beginning when he had a full majority?  Waiting till just before the new House was sworn in, is suspect.

Waiting for electoral purposes??  Had he declared a national emergency or found another way around Congress as this article suggests and construction of the wall began before the mid terms, the GOP may have not lost the House.

Sure this issue is complicated and he has proven he doesn't surround himself with the best people, so that brings me once again to conclude that he didn't have intention of building the wall, or perhaps he decided early on that there was too much resistance and opposition within his own party and moved on to other issues.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:42:58 pm by libertybele »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
A and B are clearly false...C is partly right, in that it IS legally complex as is everything the government does.

The real answer is D, the President is setting up the conditions in which he either orders the military to start construction OR declares an emergency and uses contracted civilians (perhaps along with military construction).

It hasn't been done yet because he is controlling the narrative...let the Dems feel like they are winning and getting something. In truth, all they've "won" is a brief hiatus prior to the start of construction. He is now the compromising and reasonable party...the President who's striving to make a bipartisan agreement with congress in spite of their hatred for him....and needs to demonstrate that to Independents and moderates (who do matter for electoral purposes).

He may also be setting the conditions where Dems can hang themselves with their own rope.   Already they've portrayed themselves as uncompromising in their opposition to border security.   I can't believe that will sit well with voters.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline edpc

Had he declared a national emergency or found another way around Congress as this article suggests and construction of the wall began before the mid terms, the GOP may have not lost the House.

He basically did that, last October, with the active duty mobilization to the border. It fell flat, along with his phony promise of a 10% middle class tax cut.