Author Topic: Opinion: It’s official: The Trump tax cuts were a bust Published: Jan 30, 2019 8:36 a.m. ET  (Read 598 times)

Offline libertybele

I don't think the full effects have truly been felt yet.  Waiting for all the feedback (including my own) on tax returns.  That will be the true measure I think that matters to people; their bottom line. Are most having to pay more or less taxes?

Opinion: It’s official: The Trump tax cuts were a bust

Right before Congress passed the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act in December 2017, President Trump proclaimed:

“It’ll be fantastic for the middle-income people and for jobs, most of all ... I think we could go to 4%, 5% or even 6% [GDP growth], ultimately. We are back. We are really going to start to rock.”

A year later, it’s very clear that the tax cuts boosted gross domestic product and jobs a bit — and just for one year. Its effects are fading as U.S. GDP growth appears likely to weaken in 2019. The only thing that “rocked” were corporate profits and the stock market. And we’re facing trillion-dollar deficits as far as the eye can see.

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act made small cuts in rates to most individual taxpayers, while cutting the corporate tax rate from 35% to 21%, expanding deductions for “pass-through” companies, and taxing only corporate income earned in the U.S., not worldwide. That theoretically removed a major barrier to U.S.-based multinational corporations repatriating the estimated $2.6 trillion in accumulated earnings they’re holding overseas.......

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/its-official-the-trump-tax-cuts-were-a-bust-2019-01-30

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Hogwash! Beginning to end!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Did you notice that the market went nutz today?

At over 25,000 recovering the "worst December in market history"...blah, blah, blah.

It was profit taking and it was anticipation of the shutdown.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Frank Cannon

Hogwash! Beginning to end!

This nobody also called the end of the Bull Market.....2 years ago and that Bitcoin would not exist anymore. He is just another garden variety Communist masquerading and someone in the know.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

1. An opinion is not anything but an opinion.  That in no way makes it official.

2.  This is Marketwatch, a notoriously liberal slanted website that distorts business news.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

1. An opinion is not anything but an opinion.  That in no way makes it official.

False. Opinions are now breaking news at all the MSM outlets.

2.  This is Marketwatch, a notoriously liberal slanted website that distorts business news.

Yeah, I'll give you that one.