Author Topic: Video problem on TBR?  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Video problem on TBR?
« on: January 29, 2019, 02:58:55 pm »
This is totally weird, but 2 or 3 times a day my video blanks out for a couple of seconds. I thought my 8yo video card was failing, but it only happens here on TBR when I click on one of the forums from the main index screen - 3 times so far this morning vs. probably 30+ where it doesn't happen. It has never happened on any other site, or on TBR when clicking a thread within a forum, or following a link posted in a thread. I use Firefox 64.0.2 on Win 1809. Both monitors blank out completely even though FF is just one of several visible windows on one monitor. Actively running processes like file transfers aren't affected. I can't think of anything FF could be doing as it follows those particular links to cause such a problem.

It's probably just an obscure glitch that will go away with the next update but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Video problem on TBR?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 03:05:21 pm »
This is totally weird, but 2 or 3 times a day my video blanks out for a couple of seconds. I thought my 8yo video card was failing, but it only happens here on TBR when I click on one of the forums from the main index screen - 3 times so far this morning vs. probably 30+ where it doesn't happen. It has never happened on any other site, or on TBR when clicking a thread within a forum, or following a link posted in a thread. I use Firefox 64.0.2 on Win 1809. Both monitors blank out completely even though FF is just one of several visible windows on one monitor. Actively running processes like file transfers aren't affected. I can't think of anything FF could be doing as it follows those particular links to cause such a problem.

It's probably just an obscure glitch that will go away with the next update but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

I post some sort of videos everyday and haven't seen this problem...let's see if others have...bumping thread
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 03:08:34 pm »
You running any apps.  Script blocker....HTML5 auto blocker...Ghostery?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 03:16:41 pm »
Videos on this site are basically 'iframed' through basic embedding script from the host site like YouTube. They aren't hosted directly here. If there is a video performance issue here it could be several things:

1. Local network or PC issues to you (slow or inconsistent bandwidth).
2. Some sort of script blocker (not uncommon for script blockers or anti-virus software to occasionally block or slow down iFrame script to ensure it is secure- Chrome, for example, won't run an iFrame if it is not https (secure)).
3. An issue with the hosting website such as YouTube or Vimeo.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 10:23:47 pm »
You running any apps.  Script blocker....HTML5 auto blocker...Ghostery?

Only Adblock+ which I've used for years. I got the FF 65 update this afternoon so I'm hoping that resolves it. It has nothing to do with videos posted on the site, it only happens when I click a forum link e.g. Politics. I'll post an update if it happens on FF65, or in a day or two if it seems to be fixed.

Edit 1/30> No luck - it just struck again when I clicked the Sci/Tech forum link. Oh well, as long as it doesn't interrupt anything that's running it's just a minor irritation.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 01:18:13 pm by Snarknado »
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online corbe

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 10:34:09 pm »
   Win7/IE11/Chrome/AdBlocker+ not experiencing any problems here even with multiple tabs open on both Browsers.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.