Author Topic: Breaking - Houston Police Department responding to report of several officers shot  (Read 14621 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Harris County DA, Houston PD And A State Lawmaker Are Looking Into Problematic No-Knock Raids

http://www.texasstandard.org/stories/harris-county-da-houston-pd-and-a-state-lawmaker-are-looking-into-problematic-no-knock-raids/

---Also, Houston Democratic lawmaker Harold Dutton proposed a bill in the Texas Legislature this week that would curb no-knock raids. Barned-Smith says the bill would require SWAT teams to wear body cameras – something those in the Houston raid didn’t have.

“It would also require data collection about these kinds of raids from departments,” Barned-Smith says. “[And] it would require they be conducted only in situations where officers believed there was an imminent threat to either an officer’s life or to someone else’s life.”

And Barned-Smith says a gun in someone’s home wouldn’t be a justification for a raid, according to the bill. In Texas, that’s significant because many families have firearms.

“That, too, was one of the main issues that was in the search warrant that led to this raid,” he says. “The officer alleged that his confidential informant saw a pistol.”
More at link above.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Suddenly, no mention about the alleged heroin buy by the CI. Nor the 'massive amounts of heroin the couple was supposedly dealing. Nor the officer getting the heroin out of the console in the other offier's car.

The whole pretense of the raid was over drugs, and the possession of guns was only cause for the style of the raid in that context, but the entire bit about heroin was a fabrication: none was bought, none was found.

These weren't errors, unless they had the wrong address, they were lies under oath (perjury) to obtain a warrant which was invalid, to violate the 4th and 5th Amendment Rights of the deceased, who defended themselves against people they may not have even known were police, breaching their door and shooting their dog, for starters.  Police have no requirement to administer first aid to the people they wound, and that leads to the likelihood they bled out from wounds long before anyone considered obtaining EMS for them (which would have preferentially medically stabilized and transported the police officers first, anyway, most likely).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Suddenly, no mention about the alleged heroin buy by the CI. Nor the 'massive amounts of heroin the couple was supposedly dealing. Nor the officer getting the heroin out of the console in the other offier's car.

The whole pretense of the raid was over drugs, and the possession of guns was only cause for the style of the raid in that context, but the entire bit about heroin was a fabrication: none was bought, none was found.

These weren't errors, unless they had the wrong address, they were lies under oath (perjury) to obtain a warrant which was invalid, to violate the 4th and 5th Amendment Rights of the deceased, who defended themselves against people they may not have even known were police, breaching their door and shooting their dog, for starters.  Police have no requirement to administer first aid to the people they wound, and that leads to the likelihood they bled out from wounds long before anyone considered obtaining EMS for them (which would have preferentially medically stabilized and transported the police officers first, anyway, most likely).

Agree on all counts!  I think the address they were supposed to go to was on Hardy Street rather than Harding Street!

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:41:47 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
This is a case where not only should people be fired but also be found guilty of murder and go to prison.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

This is a case where not only should people be fired but also be found guilty of murder and go to prison.
I tend to agree that at a minimum, whoever obtained the warrant under false pretenses and materially contributed to obtaining that warrant should face the music. Had that not been done, two people might yet be alive, not to mention the wounded police on the raid. If the case can be made for the officers who thought they were on a legitimate raid, not one under false pretenses, that's different, but at least two knew better and should face charges.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:45:40 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Just glad this does not seem to be going away any time soon. Apparently this raid was so egregious, such an absurd event, it is causing a nationwide outcry. These two private citizens just coincidentally happened to be White. If they had been any other race cries of 'racism', brutality, and lawsuits, would be raining across America by now.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Just glad this does not seem to be going away any time soon. Apparently this raid was so egregious, such an absurd event, it is causing a nationwide outcry. These two private citizens just coincidentally happened to be White. If they had been any other race cries of 'racism', brutality, and lawsuits, would be raining across America by now.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Case agent at center of botched Houston drug raid released from hospital

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/article/Case-agent-at-center-of-botched-drug-raid-13634685.php

The wounded case agent at the center of the botched Pecan Park drug raid has been released from the hospital, his lawyer confirmed Thursday.

Initially Houston police Chief Art Acevedo lauded the veteran undercover officer. But on Friday, local media learned of a new search warrant seeking more information about officers' actions in the case, and Acevedo pulled together a hastily called press conference to announce that Goines would likely face criminal charges.

"We know that there's already a crime that's been committed," Acevedo said then. "It's a serious crime when we prepare a document to go into somebody's home, into the sanctity that is somebody's home."

More at link above.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

What a freakin' mess.
It was not just him.

It was his supervisors as well.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

It was not just him.

It was his supervisors as well.
That's what I get, too. A high bust/conviction rate, makes the brass happy, and not so finicky about how it's done as long as the results look good. Somewhere in the system there was a willingness to look the other way, and this has become institutionalized. Now that the lid is off, someone is going to get thrown to the wolves.

But the problem I have is the whole anonymous snitch thing goes pretty hard against the right to face your accuser. The words of someone the accused may not know, have never heard of, who may not even know the accused (mistaken identity, or hearsay) are taken as gospel, Any thing can follow from that from having children taken away to having your door kicked in at all hours and being shot for trying to defend your home against an unknown assailant.  One pissy neighbor can get you killed.

I also take issue with calling this a "botched drug raid", about like calling Fast and Furious a "botched gun tracking" operation or a 'botched sting operation'. If something is done on false premises, it is an illegitimate action, not 'botched'. Saying it went wrong, instead of it was wrong, gives the action an undeserved air of legitimacy from the start.  This sure appears to have been conducted under false pretenses, an egregious violation of 4th and, ultimately, 5th amendment Rights, and other enumerated Rights under the Constitution.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 02:31:41 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Harris County sheriff revises policy on no-knock raids as lawmaker pushes for statewide restrictions

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Harris-County-sheriff-revises-policy-on-no-knock-13638258.php

The Harris County Sheriff’s Office is revising its no-knock raid policies in the aftermath of a deadly raid in Houston in which two people were killed and five Houston police officers were injured.

The move comes as Houston Democratic lawmaker Harold Dutton this week filed proposed legislation that would limit the use of SWAT teams and increase oversight of the departments that often use the raids to execute routine search warrants.

“I’ve never been a fan of no-knock raids because of the danger that it creates for police officers and the person that’s in the home,” Dutton said.

The bill would require agencies to equip SWAT teams with body cameras and institute policies designed to limit raids to situations involving an “imminent threat” of serious bodily injury to civilians or officers. The mere presence of a weapon wouldn’t be enough to qualify for SWAT assistance.

No-knock raids have become a ubiquitous, but increasingly controversial, tool of SWAT teams across the country over the last three decades. Questions about their use resurfaced after the botched drug bust in Houston last month that left the homeowners, Dennis Tuttle and his wife, Rhogena Nicolas, dead.

After the raid, Chief Art Acevedo announced that Gerald Goines, the veteran narcotics officer who led the operation, will likely face criminal charges for apparently lying in the search affidavit, which was the basis for the operation, and announced major policy changes in how his department handles raids and narcotics investigations.

Jason Spencer, a sheriff’s office spokesman, said Friday that after reviewing its policies, the sheriff’s office has decided to equip warrant and raid teams with body cameras and require that any no-knock raids receive written authorization from the department’s top leadership.

Spencer said the policy review won’t necessarily translate to a change in practices, since the office rarely uses the unannounced searches. Since the start of 2017, the Harris County Sheriff’s Office has carried out only two no-knock warrants, he said.

Time for change?

State lawmakers considered taking up the topic of SWAT reform last legislative session, but didn’t make it a priority. Last month’s deadly raid — and the revelations that emerged in its aftermath — have shifted the conversation, Dutton said.

“This was the last domino falling,” he said. “I had thought about it last session but we didn’t do anything.”

The fallout continues from the Jan. 28 drug raid at the home on Harding Street in Pecan Park, which threw the Houston Police Department into turmoil and sent city and county leaders scrambling to contain the burgeoning scandal. In addition to a criminal investigation by local officials, the FBI has launched a civil rights investigation into the police department’s handling of the case.

More at link above.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
2nd drug case involving embattled Officer Gerald Goines dismissed in the 'interest of justice'

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/article/2nd-drug-case-involving-embattled-Officer-Gerald-13642869.php

A second felony drug case involving an embattled Houston police narcotics officer already under investigation was dismissed Monday, this time in the "interest of justice."

The move comes less than a week after the Harris County District Attorney's Office announced plans to review more than 1,400 cases connected to Officer Gerald Goines, the case agent accused of lying about the undercover heroin buy used to justify a no-knock raid that left two people dead.

Of the hundreds of Goines' cases slated for review, 27 were active at the time of last week's announcement - including one that's already been dismissed. Since then, prosecutors have agreed to bond in two other cases and on Monday morning moved to toss a case against Treveon Cornett.

The 24-year-old was arrested last year after police allegedly caught him with less than a gram of narcotics.

From the start, Cornett said the drugs - a small amount of crack cocaine - weren't his, according to defense attorney Deborah Keyser.

More at link

2nd drug case involving embattled Officer Gerald Goines dismissed in the 'interest of justice'

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/article/2nd-drug-case-involving-embattled-Officer-Gerald-13642869.php
So now, due to a lawless officer who was not properly supervised, real drug pushers are likely to win freedom, releasing these criminals onto the streets?

At a minimum, his supervisors all the way up Acevedo should be shown the exit door. In the interest of public safety, they cannot be trusted.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

So now, due to a lawless officer who was not properly supervised, real drug pushers are likely to win freedom, releasing these criminals onto the streets?

At a minimum, his supervisors all the way up Acevedo should be shown the exit door. In the interest of public safety, they cannot be trusted.
In the process, police spotted Cornett sleeping in a broken-down car, where he'd gone to get away from the noise, his lawyer said. He didn't own the vehicle and didn't know about the trace amount of drugs inside, he maintained, but still police charged him

Sleeping in the car, with trace amounts of drugs inside (which he claimed to know nothing about--and may well have not known about) does not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he is or was a "drug pusher". It amounts to what the police call "Constructive possession", the idea that 'you are there, it is there, therefore it must be yours', which can be a fallacious argument, but still lands a lot of people in jail.

A little baggie with a small rock would be easy enough to palm or plant, in the event someone wanted to up the bust numbers, but it is likely as well that someone else used the vehicle to consume drugs in and left a baggie corner with some residue in it. I can see throwing the case out. If the guy is a real druggie, they know who he is and will likely pick him up later, anyway.  If not, he'll be clean.

I'm not saying that real, serious cases aren't going to get the fallout from this, they will, and there is a chance that some real good police work will go down the tubes over the taint from this one cop--provided he is the only one in the unit so tainted. If he isn't acting alone (and he may not be) the scope of that fallout will possibly be considerably broader.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 04:10:43 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Probe of cases from Houston officers in deadly raid expanded

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/ap_nation/probe-of-cases-from-houston-officers-in-deadly-raid-expanded/article_22ebe361-e4ce-5e79-a905-837644ea944c.html

Houston-area prosecutors are expanding a probe into past criminal cases to include more than 2,000 linked to two city police officers involved in a deadly January drug raid.

The Harris County District Attorney's Office announced Monday that it will review more than 800 cases involving Officer Steven Bryant, who was relieved of duty after the raid on a home that left five officers injured and two residents dead. Thirty of the cases are pending before a court.

These are in addition to more than 1,400 cases already under review and represent broadening fallout from the raid that has also prompted an internal police investigation and an FBI probe.

More at link.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
When was the last time HPD had a nonpolitical police chef?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline corbe

I lived in Houston back when they elected their FIRST Lesbian, Kathy Whitmire. that's when it went downhill quick after James McConn (R) got caught screwing the pooch on the city wide Cable deal.  It certainly prepared me for moving back to Nawlins (more corrupt) in 89, now with a side of David Duke.
  I love the Texas Hill Country even though we have our fair share of liberalism, lesbians and general screw~ups.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

I lived in Houston back when they elected their FIRST Lesbian, Kathy Whitmire. that's when it went downhill quick after James McConn (R) got caught screwing the pooch on the city wide Cable deal.  It certainly prepared me for moving back to Nawlins (more corrupt) in 89, now with a side of David Duke.
  I love the Texas Hill Country even though we have our fair share of liberalism, lesbians and general screw~ups.
After living in Houston in the 70s, I lived in New Orleans at the same time as you(actually the North Shore, but worked on Poydras).  You are right it had an eerie feeling that one had to choose which of the corrupt politicians to vote for. I recall it was the one time in my life I ever voted for a Democrat as Eddie Edwards got my vote for Governor rather than giving it to Duke.

The similarity with you ends there, though, as I grew up in Austin but would never live near there again.  Just too many people, expensive and frankly, over the long term I believe they will have a significant problem with access to water to take care of the burgeoning population.  Now I just go there to visit family, especially during March when the bluebonnets will be popping out.

Worse and worse.
Yeah, and what must now be happening is the serious investigation both internal and external going on has diverted a lot of the Houston PD's attention towards those instead of focusing on its primary mission of protecting its citizens and fighting crime.

For that reason alone, Acevedo should step down for the benefit and morale of citizens.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston police narcotics officer under investigation after deadly raid set to retire

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-police-narcotics-officer-under-13671579.php

A Houston narcotics officer under an internal police investigation following a botched January drug raid is retiring, according to multiple law enforcement sources.

Steven O. Bryant put in his paperwork this week while under investigation following the shooting deaths of two residents in an unannounced raid of a Pecan Park residence in south Houston on Jan. 28. The Harris County District Attorney’s Office is reviewing more than 800 criminal cases brought by Bryant during his 23-year career. Sources said his last day is Friday.

HPD officials relieved Bryant of duty as questions mounted about his actions leading up to the drug raid, in which a team of officers burst into a house at 7815 Harding St. after obtaining a no-knock search warrant. A gunbattle ensued, and police killed homeowners Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas. Four officers were hit by gunfire, and a fifth officer was injured.

Two other narcotics officers, including a longtime partner of Goines, have quietly retired from the department in recent weeks, including one who is under investigation for an unrelated matter, according to police documents and sources. Each officer had more than 20 years experience with the department.

More at link

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Houston police narcotics officer under investigation after deadly raid set to retire

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-police-narcotics-officer-under-13671579.php

Getting the hell out of Dodge seems to be the way this kind of thing is handled nowadays!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

Getting the hell out of Dodge seems to be the way this kind of thing is handled nowadays!
Seems the play is to retire fast before you get canned or worse...and lose your accumulated benefits.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Seems the play is to retire fast before you get canned or worse...and lose your accumulated benefits.

Yep!  If things were right in the world, people on public payrolls who are under active investigation wouldn't be allowed to do that until the investigation is cleared. 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

Yep!  If things were right in the world, people on public payrolls who are under active investigation wouldn't be allowed to do that until the investigation is cleared.
Yep!

C S Lewis