Author Topic: Trump touts proposed Bible literacy classes in state schools  (Read 36867 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Trump touts proposed Bible literacy classes in state schools
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 03:36:11 am »
'tout' is a verb implying low-grade advancing of ideas as in racetrack tout.  It has 'disrespect' written all over it.  We don't need a dictionary to tell us that.

Yeah, I guess dictionary.com is wrong.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2019, 03:37:28 am »
PS  No one except people with gambling problems use the word "tout" with respect to racing.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 03:41:02 am »
PS  No one except people with gambling problems use the word "tout" with respect to racing.

Sorry...

Offline RoosGirl

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2019, 03:53:32 am »
@roamer_1
@QueenCatofAragon
@Freya

I don't think a Bible study course in school can be done.  The instructor is going to interpret the scripture according to his/her belief.  As soon as the kid would get home and tell what he/she learned, if it was not what parents believe, they would be at the Superintendent's office with their Bible in their hands.  There is no way to do this and please every parent of the kids.  And, if there are non-believers in the class, a law suit will be in the court immediately. 

I teach a Bible class at my church - we are "one" in our core Bible belief.  All of you should come - we have coffee and pastries - okay, maybe that is why they come rather than coming to listen to me.  This coming Saturday we will finish the study of "The Revelation to John". 

Bible class in schools is not going to work.

It may not work anymore but everyone should learn the golden rule. If you don’t learn it at home, learn it at school. We need more kindness in the world, more empathy
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2019, 03:54:16 am »
So you're in to show tunes, huh?

Your G od damn right!!!

Sorry...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2019, 04:06:14 am »
I think that ought to be left up to the local folks to decide, don't you?
Exactly. We had a course on religions of the world, which also included Christianity, when I was in school. Considering I was at a Catholic School for my Junior and Senior years, even Catholicism was taught about, warts and all, (those warts being what the Protestants were protesting), and together, Christianity.

Of course, nowadays that would be spun as the evil Christians going out and converting people like decent heathens (Picts, Vikings, Celts and others) and snapping up land from those poor downtrodden Muslims (in Europe), etc.  No way Vlad Tepes would be seen as a hero of is country, and Charles Martel would be seen as an oppressor....The Inquisition is already not portrayed as seeking out stray followers of Mohammed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2019, 04:08:54 am »
I used to do this sort of thing when I was a kid... Very interested in saving the alligators back then...
Not that I knew a damn thing about it... Ran into a feller from Louisiana some time later that told me you can't hardly swing a dead cat but that a gator would come chomp off your leg... More dang gators than they knew what to do with...

Taught me a thing or two about minding my own business...
Then the feds came in and made griz an endangered species...
Now you can't hardly swing a dead cat without hitting your wife in the face... Which is kinda fun... But she'd certainly prefer walking a bit further away... She's gotta stay pretty close because of all the griz.

And that taught me even more.
Then the wolf.
And the eagles.
and, and, and...

Folks should leave other folks be and let em live like they know how.

And I hereby once again solemnly apologize to all y'all in the Big Swampy for my impertinence.
A yootful indiscretion.  :shrug:
Funny how any people are all for 'saving' some dangerous critter 2000 miles from their back yards.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2019, 04:12:16 am »
It may not work anymore but everyone should learn the golden rule. If you don’t learn it at home, learn it at school. We need more kindness in the world, more empathy
I wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately, turning people into objects of derision is part and parcel of Alinsky tactics, and, as history shows, often preparatory to declaring open warfare on the target group. By convincing themselves that others 'deserve what's coming to them', people have unleashed horror after unspeakable horror on others and somehow slept at night. There is an ill wind blowing through American culture, surfing on the airwaves.

C S Lewis

Offline BlueHammer

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2019, 01:16:04 pm »
Basically, I agree.  A school sponsored after-school Bible class might work.

legally, it wouldn't the bases of the first amendment and the separation of church and state in schools boils down to one thing: Public schools must respect the religious beliefs of the students they serve while not showing favoritism for any particular religious belief.

it'll work as long as nobody says anything....once somebody does say something, a 1st year law student would be able to put the kabosh on the bible class or koran class or any other signularly religious class

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2019, 01:20:29 pm »

I don't think a Bible study course in school can be done.  The instructor is going to interpret the scripture according to his/her belief. 

Like they do in Sunday school?   :pondering:

Offline BlueHammer

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2019, 01:27:03 pm »
Like they do in Sunday school?   :pondering:

I think it was in reference to doing it in a public school

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2019, 01:50:44 pm »

Who said what? Stop....you’re killing me....again....
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2019, 01:52:39 pm »
This is referring to courses on the Bible as literature, not Bible studies per se.

Our public school had this class when our kids were there and they studied the poetry in the Psalms (beautiful!) and the literary style elsewhere.

It was not a religious class, but the left cannot tolerate having kids exposed to the truth and beauty in Scripture.

@roamer_1 is absolutely right. This is a local matter to be decided by the community and is not even remotely a violation of the purported “separation “ of church and state.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2019, 02:40:11 pm »
legally, it wouldn't the bases of the first amendment and the separation of church and state in schools boils down to one thing: Public schools must respect the religious beliefs of the students they serve while not showing favoritism for any particular religious belief.

it'll work as long as nobody says anything....once somebody does say something, a 1st year law student would be able to put the kabosh on the bible class or koran class or any other signularly religious class

No, that's what it 'means' now... That's not what it used to mean. Liberals love penumbras. That should be reversed. How the hell DC thinks it can dictate to Montana is beyond me.

Offline BlueHammer

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2019, 02:41:04 pm »
This is referring to courses on the Bible as literature, not Bible studies per se.

Our public school had this class when our kids were there and they studied the poetry in the Psalms (beautiful!) and the literary style elsewhere.

It was not a religious class, but the left cannot tolerate having kids exposed to the truth and beauty in Scripture.

@roamer_1 is absolutely right. This is a local matter to be decided by the community and is not even remotely a violation of the purported “separation “ of church and state.

at least your interpretation of it......but in the end whether it is constitutional or not is not a state or county thing.....other wise there would have been plenty of states that would have already banned guns

Offline musiclady

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2019, 02:42:25 pm »
at least your interpretation of it......but in the end whether it is constitutional or not is not a state or county thing.....other wise there would have been plenty of states that would have already banned guns

My interpretation of what?  Please clarify.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online roamer_1

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2019, 02:45:58 pm »
Funny how any people are all for 'saving' some dangerous critter 2000 miles from their back yards.

Ain't it though?

Offline BlueHammer

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2019, 02:46:32 pm »
My interpretation of what?  Please clarify.

separation of church and state

Offline BlueHammer

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2019, 02:47:48 pm »
No, that's what it 'means' now... That's not what it used to mean. Liberals love penumbras. That should be reversed. How the hell DC thinks it can dictate to Montana is beyond me.

it's simple....Montana is part of the USA and subject to the same laws as every other state.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2019, 02:50:04 pm »
separation of church and state

The 1st Amendment protects us from the State restricting our religion and guarantees our freedom to practice our own religion.

That's the way it is.

But that wasn't my point.  Teaching the Bible as literature as an English course doesn't violate anything for anybody, and it is a local decision as to whether or not the community opposes freedom of thought enough to deny teachers the right to teach a particular English class.

I have the feeling from reading some of your posts that you're in favor of the government's restriction of personal freedom and local choice.....

Offline musiclady

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2019, 02:51:34 pm »
it's simple....Montana is part of the USA and subject to the same laws as every other state.

I live in Ohio, and it is not illegal here to teach the Bible as literature (last my kids had it was early 2000's).

Offline BlueHammer

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2019, 02:55:07 pm »
The 1st Amendment protects us from the State restricting our religion and guarantees our freedom to practice our own religion.

That's the way it is.

But that wasn't my point.  Teaching the Bible as literature as an English course doesn't violate anything for anybody, and it is a local decision as to whether or not the community opposes freedom of thought enough to deny teachers the right to teach a particular English class.

I have the feeling from reading some of your posts that you're in favor of the government's restriction of personal freedom and local choice.....

you're leaving out one important part of the 1st amendment.....as long as the class includes the same opportunity for all faiths because it cannot establish one religion in any way over others.....must be selective memory on your part

Offline musiclady

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2019, 02:57:20 pm »
you're leaving out one important part of the 1st amendment.....as long as the class includes the same opportunity for all faiths because it cannot establish one religion in any way over others.....must be selective memory on your part

How is teaching literature "establishing one religion?"

Simple answer:  It's not.

Perhaps your memory is not selective, but completely absent because you've never been taught?

Offline BlueHammer

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2019, 03:01:36 pm »
How is teaching literature "establishing one religion?"

Simple answer:  It's not.

Perhaps your memory is not selective, but completely absent because you've never been taught?

If it's literature of a certain faith, then the same opportunity needs to be applied to all faiths......you know this to be true just don't want to accept it

I'm a Catholic.....I went to parochial schools.....I can guarantee I have spent 10X as much time wrapped in religious material as you.....I still go to church.....I just don't buy what the bible belt bible thumpers try to push.......to us Catholics, you're all heathens anyway