Author Topic: Trump touts proposed Bible literacy classes in state schools  (Read 36572 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Trump touts proposed Bible literacy classes in state schools
« on: January 28, 2019, 09:55:15 pm »

President Trump on Monday embraced a proposal from lawmakers in six states that would allow public schools to offer Bible literacy classes shortly after the subject was discussed on "Fox & Friends."

"Numerous states introducing Bible Literacy classes, giving students the option of studying the Bible. Starting to make a turn back? Great!" Trump wrote on Twitter.

The tweet came roughly a half hour after North Dakota state Rep. Aaron McWilliams appeared on "Fox & Friends." McWilliams is co-sponsoring a measure in North Dakota to support Bible literacy classes.

Read More: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-touts-proposed-bible-literacy-classes-in-state-schools/

How about bringning back Civics in the school? Also, are they going to offer other religious books literacy as well?
"If we die, we want people to accept it. We're in a risky business, and we hope that if anything happens to us it will not delay the program. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life."

Gus Grissom

Offline roamer_1

Re: Trump touts proposed Bible literacy classes in state schools
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 12:02:03 am »
How about bringning back Civics in the school? Also, are they going to offer other religious books literacy as well?

I think that ought to be left up to the local folks to decide, don't you?

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 12:16:07 am »
If the public school system can teach Islam and the Koran, there is no excuse for them to oppose teaching the Christian Bible. By promoting Islam and opposing Christianity, that would be a real Church and State issue. Because that really would be the establishment of a 'sanctioned' religion. Which is what Separation of Church and State was intended to prevent.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 12:17:19 am »

Provided that all religions (yes including Islam) is repsented as well. I just don't think any states should put one religion over an other. In this case putting classes teaching one religous text while not providing other religous literacy classes IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL!
"If we die, we want people to accept it. We're in a risky business, and we hope that if anything happens to us it will not delay the program. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life."

Gus Grissom

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 12:26:21 am »

Provided that all religions (yes including Islam) is repsented as well. I just don't think any states should put one religion over an other. In this case putting classes teaching one religous text while not providing other religous literacy classes IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL!

NOPE. What the hell business is it of yours? Worry about your own schools in your own county. Leave mine alone.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 12:27:59 am »
NOPE. What the hell business is it of yours? Worry about your own schools in your own county. Leave mine alone.

WHAT PART OF SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND??

Gus Grissom

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 12:29:43 am »

The shouting doesn't advance your position further. 

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 12:30:28 am by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 12:34:34 am »

Hold your water, geez. Apparently you’re the one who needs to study up on that founding principle.

No one is proposing to establish a state religion. This sounds like an optional literacy class.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 12:35:06 am »

Separation of church and state does not go all the way to the ground. The Constitutional mandate is federal, not state, or local. The acting authority in the school system is the county.

Howabout mind your own business? What business do you have telling folks in another state how to live?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 12:43:36 am »

Yeah, at the Federal level, not at the local/state level, unless that state has the same amendment in their constitution.  Also, not sure why anyone would insist on repeating the liberal interpretation "Separation of church and state".

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 12:46:31 am »
.  Also, not sure why anyone would insist on repeating the liberal interpretation "Separation of church and state".

He does have leftist leanings....  just saying.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 12:54:09 am »
More a comment than a "tout". 

Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

Numerous states introducing Bible Literacy classes, giving students the option of studying the Bible. Starting to make a turn back? Great!

5:21 AM - 28 Jan 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1089876055224184833?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 12:55:31 am »
The link posted above doesn't take you to the article @kevindavis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 12:57:50 am »
Yeah, at the Federal level, not at the local/state level, unless that state has the same amendment in their constitution.  Also, not sure why anyone would insist on repeating the liberal interpretation "Separation of church and state".

I used to do this sort of thing when I was a kid... Very interested in saving the alligators back then...
Not that I knew a damn thing about it... Ran into a feller from Louisiana some time later that told me you can't hardly swing a dead cat but that a gator would come chomp off your leg... More dang gators than they knew what to do with...

Taught me a thing or two about minding my own business...
Then the feds came in and made griz an endangered species...
Now you can't hardly swing a dead cat without hitting your wife in the face... Which is kinda fun... But she'd certainly prefer walking a bit further away... She's gotta stay pretty close because of all the griz.

And that taught me even more.
Then the wolf.
And the eagles.
and, and, and...

Folks should leave other folks be and let em live like they know how.

And I hereby once again solemnly apologize to all y'all in the Big Swampy for my impertinence.
A yootful indiscretion.  :shrug:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 01:21:16 am »

A very good reason to support private schools, religious schools and charter schools.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 01:21:56 am »
The link posted above doesn't take you to the article @kevindavis

Why the headline?  Why does Trump always 'tout' and never just support?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 01:34:03 am »
Why the headline?  Why does Trump always 'tout' and never just support?

www.dictionary.com
tout
[tout]Informal.
verb (used with object)
to solicit support for importunately.

importunate
[im-pawr-chuh-nit]
adjective
urgent or persistent in solicitation, sometimes annoyingly so.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 01:40:13 am »

Do you hold that position on abortion?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 01:42:07 am »

No, but it does make it more annoying. They type of annoying the poster claims Trump is.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 02:24:14 am »
@roamer_1
@QueenCatofAragon
@Freya

I don't think a Bible study course in school can be done.  The instructor is going to interpret the scripture according to his/her belief.  As soon as the kid would get home and tell what he/she learned, if it was not what parents believe, they would be at the Superintendent's office with their Bible in their hands.  There is no way to do this and please every parent of the kids.  And, if there are non-believers in the class, a law suit will be in the court immediately. 

I teach a Bible class at my church - we are "one" in our core Bible belief.  All of you should come - we have coffee and pastries - okay, maybe that is why they come rather than coming to listen to me.  This coming Saturday we will finish the study of "The Revelation to John". 

Bible class in schools is not going to work.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 02:31:27 am »
Do you hold that position on abortion?

No, but it'd be way better than what we have now.

My position on abortion is not particularly religious - But rather, a Constitutional one (not that the religious aspect is not also important to me). As a federal matter, there are only two ways the government at any level can sanction your death: Just Cause (war), or Due Process (crime).

Which one does abortion fall under?

In ALL other cases, it is the constitutional mandate to protect life as an enumerated and particular right (as described in the DoI, antecedent in authority to the Constitution).

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2019, 02:44:13 am »

I don't think a Bible study course in school can be done.  The instructor is going to interpret the scripture according to his/her belief.  As soon as the kid would get home and tell what he/she learned, if it was not what parents believe, they would be at the Superintendent's office with their Bible in their hands.  There is no way to do this and please every parent of the kids.  And, if there are non-believers in the class, a law suit will be in the court immediately. 

I teach a Bible class at my church - we are "one" in our core Bible belief.  All of you should come - we have coffee and pastries - okay, maybe that is why they come rather than coming to listen to me.  This coming Saturday we will finish the study of "The Revelation to John". 

@Victoria33
Sure it can be done. Prayer and generic Bible study was normative when I was in early school in Chicago.

But more to the point, it is a matter that local folks can figure out as is best for them.... Like opening the day with a study hall, where qualified religious leaders from various churches can open the day with those in attendance from their flock... There is a big enough selection of larger churches in most towns to where smaller churches and gatherings that did not qualify (according to school poulations respectively) could band together in selection, or share the load with larger churches... All very much voluntary, all very distributed, with those not fitting or abstaining going to a regular study hall sponsored only by the school.

There now... no poor little children having to bear anything but what their parents would have them bear... no one's rights violated, and even separation of church and state, except for the venue itself...

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 02:50:31 am »

Neither does the misspelling.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 02:52:20 am »
@roamer_1
@QueenCatofAragon
@Freya

Basically, I agree.  A school sponsored after-school Bible class might work.

But I went to a Bible Class at my Church (Episcopal) and we almost came to blows at times , so... it's iffy.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2019, 02:54:38 am »
www.dictionary.com
tout
[tout]Informal.
verb (used with object)
to solicit support for importunately.

importunate
[im-pawr-chuh-nit]
adjective
urgent or persistent in solicitation, sometimes annoyingly so.

'tout' is a verb implying low-grade advancing of ideas as in racetrack tout.  It has 'disrespect' written all over it.  We don't need a dictionary to tell us that.