Author Topic: A Measles Outbreak Has Hit An Anti-Vaxxer Hotspot In The US  (Read 2328 times)

rangerrebew

A Measles Outbreak Has Hit An Anti-Vaxxer Hotspot In The US
« on: January 28, 2019, 04:50:41 pm »

A Measles Outbreak Has Hit An Anti-Vaxxer Hotspot In The US

Health and Medicine

By Tom Hale
24 Jan 2019, 14:45

A measles outbreak is sweeping through Portland, a hotspot for the anti-vaccination movement, and neighboring Clark County in Washington state.

Clark County Public Health has declared a public health emergency, reporting at least 23 confirmed cases and seven suspected cases of measles in the area since the new year. At least 20 of these people are unvaccinated. Eighteen of them are young children aged between one and 10 years old.

The health department has published a long list of places where infectious people have visited included churches, schools, hospitals, parts of Portland International Airport, an IKEA, and even a Portland Trail Blazers basketball game.

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/a-measles-outbreak-has-hit-an-antivaxxer-hotspot-in-the-us/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: A Measles Outbreak Has Hit An Anti-Vaxxer Hotspot In The US
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 04:52:18 pm »
Who could have anticipated that?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 04:59:35 pm »
Do people believe that the anti-vaxxers think they will never get the disease?  They are well aware it is a possibility and willing to deal with whatever the consequences are.  Some people believe that having the disease and then acquiring life long immunity is better than the short term benefits of the vax and questionable ingredients that are in them.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 05:13:42 pm »
Do people believe that the anti-vaxxers think they will never get the disease?  They are well aware it is a possibility and willing to deal with whatever the consequences are.  Some people believe that having the disease and then acquiring life long immunity is better than the short term benefits of the vax and questionable ingredients that are in them.

What you are saying is that you are one of these kooks.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 05:18:30 pm »
Portland is also a big sanctuary city. But that'll never be named as a cause.

Its those anti-vaxxers. Yeah thats it.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 05:25:52 pm »
What you are saying is that you are one of these kooks.

No, but have hung out with some of them occassionally.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 05:27:09 pm »
No, but have hung out with some of them occassionally.

Filthy hippie.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 05:29:37 pm »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 09:45:48 pm »
Problem with that is that they put other people and their children in a irresponsible risk, it's not like the anti vaxxers live in their own little sealed community. They are self righteous individuals that don't give any consideration how their choice affects others. In other words they act like typical liberals.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 10:00:05 pm »
So does WA state have an "Opt out" vax policy for school age rugrats.?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 10:16:53 pm »
Problem with that is that they put other people and their children in a irresponsible risk, it's not like the anti vaxxers live in their own little sealed community. They are self righteous individuals that don't give any consideration how their choice affects others. In other words they act like typical liberals.

5% of people aren't immune to measles even after vaccination, so there's always a chance of being exposed.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 10:28:29 pm »
5% of people aren't immune to measles even after vaccination, so there's always a chance of being exposed.

I had a severe case as a child and immunized.  I was a junior in college and was leveled by the measles.  On the other hand, I never had an outbreak of chickenpox despite being exposed.  I was vaccinated for them when my boys were young and now I have been vaccinated for shingles. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 10:31:10 pm »
So does WA state have an "Opt out" vax policy for school age rugrats.?

MT sure does... None of mine were vaccinated.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 10:32:58 pm »
I had a severe case as a child and immunized.  I was a junior in college and was leveled by the measles.  On the other hand, I never had an outbreak of chickenpox despite being exposed.  I was vaccinated for them when my boys were young and now I have been vaccinated for shingles.

So you're one of the lucky people who never get immunity, even after having the disease.  You could get measles again and again and spread it around to all the anti-vaxxers.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 11:00:08 pm »
In all fairness, the only anti-vaxxer I know homeschooled their children, so there's a certain degree of isolation... but then again it might also contribute to a false correlation. Since they're not swimming in communicable diseases with other kids at public schools, they'll appear healthier, when in fact they're just not as social.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 11:02:42 pm »
So you're one of the lucky people who never get immunity, even after having the disease.  You could get measles again and again and spread it around to all the anti-vaxxers.

The world needs more Mary Mallon's today.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 10:10:48 am »
Portland is also a big sanctuary city. But that'll never be named as a cause.

Its those anti-vaxxers. Yeah thats it.
You hit upon my question as well. How many of these people are 'refugees' from elsewhere who haven't been vaccinated? 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 10:48:07 am »
I'm pretty sure I got the Measles as a kid sometime in the 60's and was never vaccinated for it.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 12:18:18 pm »

What I remember most from the college episode were the painful joints.  They felt like they were being pulled apart.  Awful.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 06:48:32 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck