Author Topic: 'Bug bombs' are ineffective killing roaches indoors, leave behind toxic residue  (Read 2001 times)

rangerrebew

'Bug bombs' are ineffective killing roaches indoors, leave behind toxic residue
January 28, 2019 by Mick Kulikowski, North Carolina State University

Total release foggers, commonly known as "bug bombs," are ineffective at removing cockroaches from indoor environments, according to a new study from North Carolina State University.

Bug-bomb chemicals fail to reach places where cockroaches congregate the most—on the underside of surfaces and inside cabinets, NC State researchers say. Besides leaving behind numerous cockroaches, bug bombs also leave behind nasty toxic residue in the middle of floors and countertops, areas cockroaches generally avoid but which are heavily used by humans and pets.

"There's been a general assumption that bug bombs work to eliminate cockroaches indoors, but no one had conducted a formal assessment of their efficacy and any exposure risks," said Zachary DeVries, an NC State postdoctoral researcher and the lead author of the study, published in BMC Public Health. "We've done that simultaneously in this study."

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2019-01-bug-ineffective-roaches-indoors-toxic.html#jCp

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
When we moved in our house there were a lot of roaches. I applied demonWP to all the cracks and crevices. It killed them all and it lasts for years.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
When we moved in our house there were a lot of roaches. I applied demonWP to all the cracks and crevices. It killed them all and it lasts for years.

I've had good luck with Boric Acid.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Frank Cannon

When we moved in our house there were a lot of roaches.

You move to a Ghetto?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
You move to a Ghetto?

I think we brought them with us in the cardboard boxes. I was "Trailer Trash" right after I got outta the Navy. The trailer park was right between the Skylane Inn and the Airport Motel on Telephone Rd. My dad had bought the trailer for my older sister, who sold it to my younger sister, who sold it to me. When I got the house, I traded the trailer back to my dad for a new refrigerator for the house.

Offline roamer_1

I ain't hardly seen a roach in decades. Twice I have been involved in cleanup jobs where folks from back east brought em with to infest a rental, but as a rule, roaches can't make it here without man-made heat.

Worst bugs we get here as infestations are bees/wasps, earwigs, stinkbugs, and silverfish.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Growing up, it was scorpions. Had to shake out my shoes before putting them on. Just in case.

Offline rustynail

Call Gecko.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Growing up, it was scorpions. Had to shake out my shoes before putting them on. Just in case.

I still do that.  But, we have scorpions.

Of course bug bombs leave a toxic residue.  That's how they work.  The real news is that they are apparently ineffective.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I still do that.  But, we have scorpions.

Of course bug bombs leave a toxic residue.  That's how they work.  The real news is that they are apparently ineffective.

I would not expect them to be effective for roaches, but they do work for other household insects like carpet beetles.  If you can stand the smell of shoe polish.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The only place I had a real problem with roaches was when we lost the house and moved back into an apartment after almost 45 years. The apartments looked good and it wasn't until we were all moved in that we found we had actually moved into Tijuana Del Norte, really surprising since we were closer to Little Saigon. Trash dropped everywhere by adults and children, people living filthy, cucarachas everywhere because no matter how clean you were there wasn't enough poison to stem the tide coming from the other apartments. Longest six months of my life!

Oh, and bug bombs leave behind toxic residue? Doesn't that fall under NSS?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:54:49 pm by GtHawk »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Too Progressive.

Government Employees Insurance COmpany?  Leftist?  Tell me it ain't so, Joe!
I will NOT comply.

Offline ConstitutionRose

What is that?
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline thackney

I ain't hardly seen a roach in decades. Twice I have been involved in cleanup jobs where folks from back east brought em with to infest a rental, but as a rule, roaches can't make it here without man-made heat.

Worst bugs we get here as infestations are bees/wasps, earwigs, stinkbugs, and silverfish.

It is definitely a warm climate bug.  The big american roaches along with all the others live outside in our hot humid climate.  People in our area typically have to treat house every quarter to keep them and others from coming inside.

How to Identify American Cockroaches
Latin Name
Periplaneta americana

Length: Adults can be slightly more than 50 mm (3 inches) long.

Color: Adult American cockroaches are reddish brown or mahogany colored. The area behind their heads is outlined with a yellow band.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline ConstitutionRose

Never mind.  I looked it up and ordered it.  Thanks!😊
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Those bug bombs might work to get a millennial out of your basement.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

It is definitely a warm climate bug.  The big american roaches along with all the others live outside in our hot humid climate.  People in our area typically have to treat house every quarter to keep them and others from coming inside.

Yeah... I have kin in KS, MO, and MS... I know all about it... Another brilliant reason to live in the Rockies. You can keep it :)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Those bug bombs might work to get a millennial out of your basement.

I could guarantee that.  Millennials are allergic to the smell of shoe polish.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

How to Identify American Cockroaches
Latin Name
Periplaneta americana

Length: Adults can be slightly more than 50 mm (3 inches) long.

Color: Adult American cockroaches are reddish brown or mahogany colored. The area behind their heads is outlined with a yellow band.

Oh look!  A "Palmetto Bug!"
I will NOT comply.

Offline ConstitutionRose

Oh look!  A "Palmetto Bug!"

I moved to Florida as a newly wed.  Nearly packed my bags and left on sight of the 1st palmetto bug.  Ugh!