Author Topic: Trump: Ending shutdown was ‘in no way a concession’  (Read 35852 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Trump: Ending shutdown was ‘in no way a concession’
« Reply #400 on: February 07, 2019, 04:39:14 pm »
I don't know why y'all keep trying.  Those who can't, don't and those who don't want to, don't. 

Offline Mod1

« Reply #401 on: February 07, 2019, 04:53:27 pm »
I'm getting pretty bored with it.  TBR is not ECON 101, although I see the need for some explanations because we're sure not getting it from the Press.

Let's stop the circle arguments, or I'll lock the thread.  If there's one thing I dislike, it's being bored. 

:boring:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #402 on: February 07, 2019, 05:09:59 pm »
I'm getting pretty bored with it.  TBR is not ECON 101, although I see the need for some explanations because we're sure not getting it from the Press.

Let's stop the circle arguments, or I'll lock the thread.  If there's one thing I dislike, it's being bored. 

LOL!  But the poster being schooled here isn't even close to ready for Econ. 101!  Maybe 1st-grade arithmetic.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #403 on: February 07, 2019, 05:30:33 pm »

[Kidding!!  Don't tase me!!  :laugh: ]

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #404 on: February 07, 2019, 05:59:39 pm »

Come visit with me for a couple of days.  Bring your own Valium.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline musiclady

« Reply #405 on: February 07, 2019, 06:45:48 pm »
Since the concepts aren't sinking in, let's try a real-world example where only the numbers are changed.

My company pays me a salary.  For the purposes of illustration, let's say they pay me $800K.  I choose to tithe to my church.  For the purposes of illustration, let's say I tithe at 100% and give my church $800K.  Just because I give $800K to my church does not, in fact, mean that my company does not pay my salary of $800K.  My company has had a net savings of $0.

Spoiler alert - in the above example, my company would equate to the American taxpayers, I would play the part of Trump, and my church is the stand-in for the VA/Parks Services/anywhere else that Trump donates his salary.

You are getting confused with real savings versus opportunity costs.  I will agree that the VA, Parks Department, or whoever else that Trump donates his salary to can then use that money to pay for things they might not otherwise have been able to.  Just like my church can use the money I tithe to them to buy additional Christmas baskets and send missionaries to Nepal.  But once more for posterity, the net savings to my company is $0.  They still have an expenditure on their balance sheet for my salary, just like the taxpayers still have an expenditure for Trump's salary.

You also appear to be assuming that if Trump doesn't donate his salary and keeps it for his own personal use instead, then the government would for some reason provide an equal amount of money to those departments.  And that is patently untrue.  In our earlier example, if I choose not to tithe my salary and keep it in my own pocket instead, my company does not provide an amount equal to my salary to my church so we can buy Christmas baskets and send missionaries to Nepal.  That's the opportunity that is lost if I keep my full salary for myself, but my company is not part of that equation.

AND SHOUTING IN ALL-CAPS OR BOLD TYPE WILL STILL NEVER CHANGE THAT FACT.

I  learned a lot from this post @Polly Ticks ! Thanks!   wink777

Seriously, as a semi-math challenged Briefer, who is, at the same time, educable, there have been many good explanations as to why the poster in question is wrong.

The  problem is that not all wrong people are educable.......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #406 on: February 07, 2019, 07:13:14 pm »

Seriously, as a semi-math challenged Briefer, who is, at the same time, educable, there have been many good explanations as to why the poster in question is wrong.

I thought he was yanking everybody's chain and then I realized he was serious. So .... I left the explanations and logic alone.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #407 on: February 07, 2019, 07:20:02 pm »

I thought he was yanking everybody's chain and then I realized he was serious. So .... I left the explanations and logic alone.

Y'all are right, of course.  Definitely time to walk away. As a bonus, I've never had a Mod fuss at me before so there's a milestone!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #408 on: February 07, 2019, 11:13:05 pm »
LOL!  But the poster being schooled here isn't even close to ready for Econ. 101!  Maybe 1st-grade arithmetic.

My first academic advisor was an economics professor, Dr. Erwin Graue. He was a spry 77 years old when I met him for the first time in 1972. Ask any Gonzaga alum who was there during Dr. Graue's tenure, and I'd be willing to bet my last dollar that at least 95% would recite these famous words, mimicking his pronounced German accent:

There are no free lunches!

I took his Macroeconomics class. Helluva teacher, but he could be brutal when you gave him the wrong answer. With a class size of five students, there was nowhere to hide.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #409 on: February 08, 2019, 02:17:47 am »

My first academic advisor was an economics professor, Dr. Erwin Graue. He was a spry 77 years old when I met him for the first time in 1972. Ask any Gonzaga alum who was there during Dr. Graue's tenure, and I'd be willing to bet my last dollar that at least 95% would recite these famous words, mimicking his pronounced German accent:

There are no free lunches!

I took his Macroeconomics class. Helluva teacher, but he could be brutal when you gave him the wrong answer. With a class size of five students, there was nowhere to hide.

I really appreciate that kind of people. 

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #410 on: February 08, 2019, 02:47:56 am »
Seriously are you blind and stupid did you not see the "Trump is only doing this so he can get the tax write off /SARC"

Did not know what SARC...was.  Yes, almost blind with cataracts.  Do you have some money for me for the surgery? 
No NOT STUPID....I guess you meant  SARCASM....I don't do texting on cell phone, so I did not 'get' SARC MEANING.

Shame on you. 

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #411 on: February 08, 2019, 03:01:29 am »

.................. :thumbsup:  I worked 8 years in Banks & Savings & Loans. 3 years Realtor. The rest in private business as accountant & worked years at CPA company's, doing book work and preparing taxes. 1040, 1040X, 1040S, 1065, 501's, 990, business forms. Fica, reports , etc.  Balanced to the penny. I am done.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #412 on: February 08, 2019, 03:12:08 am »
.................. :thumbsup:  I worked 8 years in Banks & Savings & Loans. 3 years Realtor.

The cause of the S&L crisis, TARP, and housing collapse all make sense to me now.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #413 on: February 08, 2019, 03:14:13 am »

The cause of the S&L crisis, TARP, and housing collapse all make sense to me now.

To coin a phrase, Top Notch!  ROLMFAO!!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #414 on: February 08, 2019, 03:19:15 am »

Sometimes you are really good.  And this was that one time.  888high58888
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

« Reply #415 on: February 08, 2019, 03:29:08 am »
Sometimes you are really good.  And this was that one time.  888high58888

All credit goes to the real hero of the story....

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #416 on: February 08, 2019, 03:44:45 am »

All credit goes to the real hero of the story....

With you and Bigun's Turkey 101... you both have found a friend in Jesus!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #417 on: February 08, 2019, 04:05:28 am »

To coin a phrase, that's what you call leading with your chin.

ETA: Knowing how to do tax returns, and understanding economics do not go hand in hand. Where I stood out with my clients was explaining what their numbers actually meant, as opposed to pencil pushers that merely filled out the forms.

I didn't sit for the CPA until 15 years after graduation, due to military service and other pursuits. Shortly after I hired on to a CPA firm, the partners had me dealing directly with clients. Saved time and clients were happy with the work I did for them.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:15:42 am by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #418 on: February 08, 2019, 04:07:29 am »
I wonder if this thread can last into the upcoming shutdown?

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #419 on: February 08, 2019, 04:16:58 am »
I wonder if this thread can last into the upcoming shutdown?

You really expect another shutdown?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #420 on: February 08, 2019, 04:19:40 am »
You really expect another shutdown?

Sure. Why not? Dreams can come true twice.

Offline edpc

« Reply #421 on: February 08, 2019, 07:56:43 am »
Sure. Why not? Dreams can come true twice.

As with the 3 week CR capitulation, prepare for yet another letdown on Trump’s resolve.

“We really have until, basically, Sunday to file the papers. So they’re going to have to in the next 24 to 48 hours agree, if there’s going to be a deal,” said Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), the party whip. “I hate to raise expectations, but there’s growing optimism that there may be something there.”

That makes it all the more likely that Trump will be forced to choose between two unpalatable options: a bipartisan deal served up by lawmakers, or executive action that falls short of an emergency declaration. A more modest executive order has been under review by the White House counsel’s office for weeks, which Mulvaney has termed “legal executive authority.” Both choices are likely to provide much less money than what the president has been demanding for a border wall.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/07/white-house-trump-shutdown-deal-1157829

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #422 on: February 08, 2019, 07:31:15 pm »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #423 on: February 08, 2019, 07:55:54 pm »
@RoosGirl
I came back to recycle my posts for next week.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #424 on: February 08, 2019, 08:13:35 pm »

Is this dumpster fire still burning??
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: