Author Topic: Trump: Ending shutdown was ‘in no way a concession’  (Read 35547 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Trump: Ending shutdown was ‘in no way a concession’
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2019, 07:00:06 pm »
Yep, that's exactly why George Bush...Senior and Junior...got that wall built and fixed our immigration system....all of that "reasoning and thoughtful conversation" they used brought in enough RINO's and Dems to get it done.   Oh...wait...that's exactly the opposite of what happened...could it be that no amount of huggy-feely conversation was or would ever sway the RINO's to support a wall.

If we don't get a wall...and I still think we will under Trump...all of you NT/RINO's should be proud. Take your victory lap. You won. You undermined, backstabbed and/or simply did nothing when the fight for the wall was/is hot...way to go!

Sorry, @Mesaclone, but this is all on Trump.  This was his big campaign issue and the one that people voted for him on.  (Well, that and he wasn't quite Hillary)

Whether a few hard-core NTs here posted less-than-flattering opinions about Trump has had absolutely no effect on his ability to get things done in Washington.

After two damned years in DC he still doesn't understand how the place works and how to get what he wants?

And, invoking GWB isn't going to work either.  W was never big on border control and never really tried. Same with GWHB.   

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:29:06 pm by Sanguine »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2019, 07:07:38 pm »
If we don't get a wall...and I still think we will under Trump...all of you NT/RINO's should be proud. Take your victory lap. You won. You undermined, backstabbed and/or simply did nothing when the fight for the wall was/is hot...way to go!

You really are a Trump supporter.

That statement is truly modeled after him: Pure chickensh...
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2019, 07:09:36 pm »
Sorry, Mesaclone, but this is all on Trump.  This was his big campaign issue and the one that people voted for him on.  (Well, that and he wasn't quite Hillary)

Whether a few hard-core NTs here posted less-than-flattering opinions about Trump has had absolutely no effect on his ability to get things done in Washington.

After two damned years in DC he still doesn't understand how the place works and how to get what he wants?

And, invoking GWB isn't going to work either.  W was never big on border control and never really tried. Same with GWHB.

Trump needs to stop being the "Whiner In Chief" and start getting things done.   He has the power to make it happen......Use It!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2019, 07:11:18 pm »
Trump needs to stop being the "Whiner In Chief" and start getting things done.   He has the power to make it happen......Use It!

Yes, he does!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2019, 07:18:41 pm »
CNN supports racism and violence daily on their channel and their pieces are allowed to be posted. Looks like you agree with me that CNN should be banned on the site.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2019, 07:19:57 pm »
So...when's that State of the Union speech going to happen?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2019, 07:26:29 pm »
So, postponing the SOTU wasn't a concession, ending the shutdown wasn't a concession.  I'm afraid of what else isn't going to be a concession, or maybe I should be afraid of what will be one.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2019, 07:28:03 pm »
You're the one rewriting history.  It only took a few in strategically positions to bring a halt to everything.  And, apparently, you're hell bent on  editing out Paul Ryan, John McCain, Jeff Flake, Lisa Murkowski, Rob Porter et al.  They were not going to be "won over" because they were consumed with hate that Donald Trump won.  They would have been more amenable to Hillary Clinton.

I won't let you rewrite this.  For the last two years the GOP Congressional caucuses have been under diehard Never-Trump control  They brought us --- willfully ---- to this point

Sure, let’s completely leave Trump’s terrible political instincts and decision making out of the equation. When he first assumed office, he backed the horrible RINO replacement plan for O-care. When the Freedom Caucus blocked it, he told them to get on the team or he’d campaign against them in 2018. During the Camp David meeting last December, he agreed not to back insurgent candidates in the midterms. Hilariously, they made the agreement to secure campaign money from the Koch brothers, who don’t support Trump on immigration or trade.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2019, 07:28:44 pm »
So, postponing the SOTU wasn't a concession, ending the shutdown wasn't a concession.  I'm afraid of what else isn't going to be a concession, or maybe I should be afraid of what will be one.

I know a thing or two about concessions.  I own the coffee and donut concession in The Lounge.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2019, 07:32:14 pm »
Maybe we could open up a concessions stand at the driven-in movies and make a profit. 

The wall has always been fine with me but I'm not one of those people who like one guy I know said "I only voted for Trump because he promised to build a wall" but it definitely is with beefing up and securing the border for however that works.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2019, 07:33:02 pm »
Perhaps if he had actually tried to convince them with reason and thoughtful conversation, he would have convinced at least a few.

It's called "leadership."  And it's what real Presidents do.

*****rollingeyes*****
As if you can convince open border globalists like Ryan to help build a wall.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2019, 07:34:07 pm »
I know a thing or two about concessions.  I own the coffee and donut concession in The Lounge.

Thank you for proving my point, since I know that the plain ones didn't start out that way.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2019, 07:34:26 pm »

IN THREE WEEKS. THIS TIME, I REALLY MEAN IT!
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2019, 07:34:29 pm »
Yes, he does!

And he will.

All he's done here is given congress 3 weeks to get a legislative solution that includes wall funds...and he's put everyone back to work at Homeland and along the border thus helping out the very force he needs to slow immigration and control our ports of entry. If a 3 week concession allowing those things to occur is supposed be some kind of failure...well...you NT's still don't understand what's happening. When Trump declares the Emergency on the border, it must be after he's exhausted all other avenues...this is part of building that case (specifically building it FOR a Supreme Court ruling that will surely come after the Declaration of Emergency occurs).

The Dems and you NT's seem to think this is a victory for you. Its not. Its simply the President delaying his own victory in this wall struggle...and thus appearing as the fair and compromising side in this repartee'. Wall construction will be under way before February is out...either via legislation or through a Declaration of Emergency...either way, that's a win-win for the President.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:35:11 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline austingirl

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2019, 07:35:28 pm »
Yep, that's exactly why George Bush...Senior and Junior...got that wall built and fixed our immigration system....all of that "reasoning and thoughtful conversation" they used brought in enough RINO's and Dems to get it done.   Oh...wait...that's exactly the opposite of what happened...could it be that no amount of huggy-feely conversation was or would ever sway the RINO's to support a wall. Especially when they know they can take refuge in the arms of NT's who are so willing to be Quisling's and undermine the conservative cause.

Trump being an MF'r is the ONLY way we get this done...the Dems will never go along with a wall, and with you RINO/NT's undercutting the work to get it done...well...here we are.

Luckily, the President will fight on...and ultimately succeed...while all you delicate NT flowers poo-poo from the sidelines and facilitate the Left in its opposition. That's bad enough...but blaming Trump for your effective work to stop him as NT/RINO's...well that's just rich.

:thumbsup:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2019, 07:36:24 pm »
Thank you for proving my point, since I know that the plain ones didn't start out that way.

Hey!  I haven't done that since I started my diet.  I already lost >55 lbs.

@Victoria33 @musiclady
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2019, 07:44:54 pm »
*****rollingeyes*****

I'm definitely not going to defend the Republicans in Congress (at least most of them), but the test of leadership when you are in the WH is to convince your own party to follow its own purported policy.

If you can't do that, you fail the leadership test.

It's a time honored policy that the person in charge bears the responsibility for what goes on under him.  Bush 43 was to blame for the profligate spending of Congress, as is Trump, as well as his incoherent positions about the wall and our national security.

He wanted the job.  It's his.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:46:04 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2019, 07:45:57 pm »

@Victoria33 @musiclady

That means you're doing something disgusting to them to keep from eating them.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2019, 07:47:03 pm »

@Victoria33 @musiclady

I believe you, Cyber................... SURE I do.   :cool:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2019, 07:47:50 pm »
180 degree chess moves here. He is thinking way ahead of everyone else. You must move forward, not backward, downward, not upward, and always twirling, twirling towards your goal.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2019, 07:48:59 pm »
 :

Amen.  True.  And he should not sign any Democratic bills coming to his desk if it includes welfare or funding for liberal projects.  Certainly nothing for Planned Parenthood.  If Nancy wants stalemate she can have it.  Lame duck.  She can seal this Congress's fate from the get go.  They can fight it out till pigs fly.

:pigs fly:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:53:12 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2019, 07:49:35 pm »
:thumbsup:

Seriously, austingirl............ you believe that people who post negative things on forums such as this one are A.  Responsible for Trump's failure or B.  Happy that our national security is still at great risk because he's failed here??

SERIOUSLY???  :shrug:

Offline austingirl

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2019, 07:49:54 pm »
I'm definitely not going to defend the Republicans in Congress (at least most of them), but the test of leadership when you are in the WH is to convince your own party to follow its own purported policy.

If you can't do that, you fail the leadership test.

It's a time honored policy that the person in charge bears the responsibility for what goes on under him.  Bush 43 was to blame for the profligate spending of Congress, as is Trump, as well as his incoherent positions about the wall and our national security.

He wanted the job.  It's his.

Do you really think that the GOP could be convinced to give up their feeding at the trough of lobbyists and vote for the security of the American people? I don't.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2019, 07:51:01 pm »
*****rollingeyes*****

Finally.  That is the point that I have been trying to make for weeks.

People need to understand HOW legislation gets to the floor for full vote, in both chambers.

On this issue (and more than a few others), there is no functional difference between Ryan and Pelosi.

Being friendly with the Freedom Caucus, nor any other group within the House with no real power, has zero impact on House leadership.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2019, 07:52:28 pm »
Do you really think that the GOP could be convinced to give up their feeding at the trough of lobbyists and vote for the security of the American people? I don't.

I don't know.

I just know who's charged with convincing them, and who has failed.