Author Topic: Chefs and truck drivers beware: AI is coming for your jobs  (Read 1710 times)

rangerrebew

Chefs and truck drivers beware: AI is coming for your jobs
« on: January 25, 2019, 05:46:58 pm »
 January 24, 2019
Chefs and truck drivers beware: AI is coming for your jobs

by Matt O'brien

Robots aren't replacing everyone, but a quarter of U.S. jobs will be severely disrupted as artificial intelligence accelerates the automation of existing work, according to a new Brookings Institution report.

Thursday's report from the Washington think tank says roughly 36 million Americans hold jobs with "high exposure" to automation—meaning at least 70 percent of their tasks could soon be performed by machines using current technology. Among those most likely to be affected are cooks, waiters and others in food services; short-haul truck drivers; and clerical office workers.

https://techxplore.com/news/2019-01-chefs-truck-drivers-beware-ai.html

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Chefs and truck drivers beware: AI is coming for your jobs
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 12:36:12 am »
I reckon it's gonna be a while before we see many "self-driving" trucks roaming the highways...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 08:39:08 am »
I reckon it's gonna be a while before we see many "self-driving" trucks roaming the highways...
I sure hope so. Even trains have engineers.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 08:48:28 am »
I sure hope so. Even trains have engineers.

It appears to be really cold where you are now. How cold is it? Is it "normal" or something else?

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 08:52:28 am »
It appears to be really cold where you are now. How cold is it? Is it "normal" or something else?
I'm in Colorado at the moment. I guess it is cold for here (+17), but for a guy from ND, it's balmy.

Back home, it's even warmer (+27), all temps below freezing but above zero. It's all good.  :laugh:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 09:02:02 am »
I'm in Colorado at the moment. I guess it is cold for here (+17), but for a guy from ND, it's balmy.

Back home, it's even warmer (+27), all temps below freezing but above zero. It's all good.  :laugh:

Oh, I thought it was supposed be about 40 degrees cooler than "normal" in the Dakotas either now or in the coming days. That's a lot cooler...

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 10:20:49 am »
Oh, I thought it was supposed be about 40 degrees cooler than "normal" in the Dakotas either now or in the coming days. That's a lot cooler...
Who said?

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 11:55:04 am »
Drudge page link:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/midwestern-northeastern-us-to-face-more-brutal-cold-as-polar-vortex-plunges-south-to-end-january/70007245
Fargo, Grand Forks....That's eastern North Dakota. I live in the northwest part of the state. We'lll be in the bananabelt for this one..... :laugh:

C S Lewis