Author Topic: Judge declares Iowa fetal heartbeat law unconstitutional  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Judge declares Iowa fetal heartbeat law unconstitutional
« on: January 25, 2019, 03:25:29 am »
WacoTrib By DAVID PITT 1/22/2019

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — A state judge on Tuesday struck down Iowa's restrictive "fetal heartbeat" abortion law, which would have been the most restrictive anti-abortion law in the nation.

Judge Michael Huppert found the law unconstitutional, concluding that the Iowa Supreme Court's earlier decisions that affirm a woman's fundamental right to an abortion would include the new law passed last year

He also cited several cases in federal court, including decisions in 2015 and 2016 in the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that indicated such abortion laws were unconstitutional.

Huppert said prohibiting abortions at the detection of a fetal heartbeat violates "both the due process and equal protection provisions of the Iowa Constitution as not being narrowly tailored to serve the compelling state interest of promoting potential life."

The law would ban an abortion once a fetal heartbeat is detected. That can happen as early as six weeks into pregnancy.

The legal challenge by abortion providers Planned Parenthood of the Heartland and the Emma Goldman Clinic had halted it from taking effect last July.

"I am incredibly disappointed in today's court ruling, because I believe that if death is determined when a heart stops beating, then a beating heart indicates life," Gov. Kim Reynolds said in a statement.

She signed the bill into law in May 2018.

More: https://www.wacotrib.com/news/ap_nation/judge-declares-iowa-fetal-heartbeat-law-unconstitutional/article_9d2ef57d-69af-50ac-aa1e-db609a119025.html

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Judge declares Iowa fetal heartbeat law unconstitutional
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 03:36:26 am »
How does some local yokel judge override a state SC ruling?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 04:03:03 am »
How does some local yokel judge override a state SC ruling?

A question that has been asked many times here in the last several years to date without any acceptable answer.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 04:20:20 am »
Iowa judges are some of the most liberal and partisan I've seen. They'll just make it up if they have to.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 04:23:00 am »
A question that has been asked many times here in the last several years to date without any acceptable answer.

Well then I can't wait till next week when a magistrate overrules this judges ruling after he marries a gay couple from Davenport.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 09:09:36 am »
Well, about that "potential life", judge.
The baby has a heartbeat.
You have a heartbeat.
Stop your heartbeat, you die.
If someone made that happen, they'd be up on murder charges.

Yet you ruled that if someone makes their little heartbeat stop, it's okay.

Their blood is on your hands, and you are accessory to murder.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online rustynail

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 12:24:27 pm »
Judges know best.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 03:11:08 pm »
Huppert said prohibiting abortions at the detection of a fetal heartbeat violates "both the due process and equal protection provisions of the Iowa Constitution as not being narrowly tailored to serve the compelling state interest of promoting potential life."
:pondering:  Potential life? Aren't we talking about actual life, especially in light of the discernable heartbeat?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 01:40:58 am »
:pondering:  Potential life? Aren't we talking about actual life, especially in light of the discernable heartbeat?

Unfortunatly Iowa judges have a habit of making it up as they go along.
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 02:05:03 am »
 :2popcorn:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 04:07:07 pm »
Judges know best.

@rustynail

True. They must be the most educated people in the world to have graduated from both law school and medical school. I always thought it was doctors who determined if someone was alive or dead,and now I discover it's judges.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!