Author Topic: Why cold weather doesn’t mean climate change is fake  (Read 1219 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why cold weather doesn’t mean climate change is fake
« on: January 24, 2019, 06:26:21 pm »
Why cold weather doesn’t mean climate change is fake
Weather and climate aren't the same thing, meaning you can expect harsher winters in a warming world.

By Sarah Gibbens

PUBLISHED January 23, 2019

A record-breaking cold snap is relentlessly descending on parts of the U.S. this month. It spawned from a split polar vortex that sent cold, Arctic air across the continent.

In a time when climate change is discussed in the context of record highs, droughts, and wildfires, cold weather and blizzards can seem out of place. For those who deny that climate change is happening, it's an opportunity to undermine scientific consensus.

How do you explain a cold winter in a world that scientists say is getting hotter?

First, it's important to understand the difference between climate and weather. Climate is defined as the average weather patterns in a region over a long period of time. It's the difference between Europe's temperate and Mediterranean zones versus the harsh cold conditions of the Arctic tundra. Each of these climate regions experiences day-to-day fluctuations in temperature, precipitation, air pressure, and so on—daily variations known as weather.

more
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/01/climate-change-colder-winters-global-warming-polar-vortex/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jpsb

Re: Why cold weather doesn’t mean climate change is fake
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 06:39:28 pm »
A hurricane or a heat wave is caused by global warming but record cold is, well, that's just weather. Yeah,
right.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 06:52:02 pm »
That is the most gibberish I've ever seen packed into a single headline.

Doesn't sound like the "science" is quite "settled" yet.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:53:47 pm by skeeter »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 06:57:01 pm »
That is the most gibberish I've ever seen packed into a single headline.

Doesn't sound like the "science" is quite "settled" yet.

You got that right.  National Geographic used to be a top notch publication.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 07:01:37 pm »
You got that right.  National Geographic used to be a top notch publication.

Yes it was. Those days are long gone.

For one, it turns out there is no "scientific consensus" on man-made global warming. But here they are repeating that lie.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 07:17:40 pm »
NatGeo sold their soul to the cultists of Climate Change.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 07:18:58 pm »
For those who deny that climate change is happening, it's an opportunity to undermine scientific consensus.

To steal from @Oceander - to cite consensus means you don't have the science.
The Republic is lost.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 08:10:44 pm »
Um, maybe stating the obvious, but isn't cold weather also climate change?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 08:19:17 pm »
Back before there was such a gimmick as a "polar vortex" and before winter storms got names, when the 'sexists' at NOAA or the NWS only named hurricanes after women, I experienced the worst cold weather in North Dakota I have ever been in. The early '80s were bitter cold (-30s common) and snow deeper. If all this global warming is causing harsh winters now, why haven't the winters become even worse?

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 09:35:05 pm »
If all this global warming is causing harsh winters now, why haven't the winters become even worse?

Not to mention that we just got our first real weather of the season... The first plowing happened yesterday. I haven't even hauled out my winter coat yet this winter... It's been hovering around 40 all winter long, and I've been mostly looking at bare ground till yesterday... Oh, and btw, it's melting off, and our next storm on Sunday looks to be rain.

So where is it written that this is a harsh winter?