Author Topic: President Trump's Rumored Potential Border Wall Deal Sounds Like Disastrous 1986 Immigration Comprom  (Read 18315 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Absolutely.

Just be prepared to not love the deal. After all, Trump famously said, "I think my positions are going to be what the people in this room come up with.," he said. "I am very much reliant on the people in this room. I know most of the people on both sides; have a lot of respect for the people on both sides, and my -- what I approve is going to be very much reliant on what the people in this room come to me with. I have great confidence in the people. If they come to me with things that I'm not in love with, I'm going to do it, because I respect them."

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/01/09/trump_promises_to_sign_an_answer_for_daca_that_will_be_a_bill_of_love.html

He also claimed, “If we don’t get what we want, one way or the other, whether it’s through you, through a military, through anything you want to call, I will shut down the government,” Trump said. “I am proud to shut down the government over border security, Chuck. … I will take the mantle. … I’m not going to blame you for it.”

https://news.yahoo.com/heated-clash-pelosi-schumer-trump-says-hell-shut-government-dont-get-want-wall-181505324.html;_ylt=AwrNHchw0UlcN00Az1xx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTBydWNmY2MwBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM0BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--A

But, remember, his 2016 campaign theme was You Can’t Always Get What You Want.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Enough @Jazzhead ...quit stating that people in here want the President to fail.  That's complete b.s. and you know it.

My stars, @libertybele, those are your exact words,  directed toward Once-ler!   You started it!

But my point is simply that the more extreme elements of Trump's nativist base have intimidated the President into rejecting fair compromises.   Last year,  he could have gotten his wall funding if only he hadn't backed out of a deal that would have - to the outrage of some in his base - normalized the Dreamers.   

Extremism in the pursuit of solutions to our illegal immigration problem is no virtue!

Arbitrary cruelty is having American citizens, murdered, gang raped, sodomized, beaten, burned, tortured, etc.,  by people who shouldn't be here in the first place and our gov't allowing them to continue to pour over our borders!! 

I'm done with you... back on ignore!

But I'm not done with you.   If you keep spouting that demonizing nonsense, I'll keep responding.    Most who've come here illegally have done so in order to work and support their families.    Recognizing the problem for what it is, is the key to mustering the courage to actually find a solution.  Talk is not only cheap, it's also dangerous and counterproductive.   
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 02:58:00 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide