Author Topic: Tellurian's $15B terminal scores key permitting milestone  (Read 2868 times)

Offline thackney

Tellurian's $15B terminal scores key permitting milestone
« on: January 22, 2019, 09:15:12 pm »
Tellurian's $15B terminal scores key permitting milestone
https://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Tellurian-s-15B-terminal-scores-key-permitting-13545335.php

As the race to build liquefied natural gas terminals continues the Gulf Coast, Houston-based Tellurian Inc. reached a key milestone Friday as a federal agency released a 523-page study of the proposed $15 billion terminal in Lake Charles, Louisiana.

The study, called  final environmental impact statement,  is not a permit itself but it is an important milestone in the permitting process for any new terminal because federal agencies use the findings to decide whether to give proponents the green light to build the project. Tellurian will still need a final order from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission before it can build the terminal.

The study, called  final environmental impact statement,  is not a permit itself but it is an important milestone in the permitting process for any new terminal because federal agencies use the findings to decide whether to give proponents the green light to build the project. Tellurian will still need a final order from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission before it can build the terminal.

"We look forward to receiving the agency's order granting authorization to site, construct and operate our Driftwood project," President and CEO Meg Gentle said in a prepared statement. "Tellurian will then stand ready to make a final investment decision and begin construction in the first half of 2019, with the first LNG expected in 2023."

Tellurian's proposed project, called Driftwood LNG, would process 27.6 million metric tons of liquefied natural gas annually – enough to fill up an LNG tanker every day.

The scale of Tellurian's Driftwood terminal is massive: It's bigger than the entire capacity of U.S. LNG exports, which is just over 20 million metric tons now, according to an analyst at S&P Global Platts....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: Tellurian's $15B terminal scores key permitting milestone
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 09:19:02 pm »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 10:12:06 pm »
I was just eating at Driftwood Tx at Salt Lick. BBQ.  I highly recommend if you haven't tried.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 10:14:32 pm »
Are there any LNG plants in the world thisbig?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline the_doc

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 10:36:18 pm »
I was just eating at Driftwood Tx at Salt Lick. BBQ.  I highly recommend if you haven't tried.

A few years ago, one of the Cable TV channels did about a three- or four-hour show on America's Top 100 Family-Style Restaurants (or some such category).  The Salt Lick came in 7th in the nation.

Yep, it's wonderful open-pit BBQ--with a great pineapple-based sauce.  And the sides are great, too.

To be perfectly honest, though, there are so many great BBQ joints in Central Texas that I might not even rank the Salt Lick in the top 10 for the taste and texture of the meat.  In Central Texas, there's San Antonio, Lockhart, and Llano--and most importantly, Austin (which has at least five or six phenomenally good BBQ joints--a few of which are arguably world-class, according to certain world-famous chefs.)

Getting back to the topic of the thread (sort of):  Lake Charles, Lousiana has good restaurants--but not good BBQ. 

Offline the_doc

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 10:38:32 pm »
@Sanguine
A few years ago, one of the Cable TV channels did about a three- or four-hour show on America's Top 100 Family-Style Restaurants (or some such category).  The Salt Lick came in 7th in the nation.

Yep, it's wonderful open-pit BBQ--with a great pineapple-based sauce.  And the sides are great, too.

To be perfectly honest, though, there are so many great BBQ joints in Central Texas that I might not even rank the Salt Lick in the top 10 for the taste and texture of the meat.  In Central Texas, there's San Antonio, Lockhart, and Llano--and most importantly, Austin (which has at least five or six phenomenally good BBQ joints--a few of which are arguably world-class, according to certain world-famous chefs.)

Getting back to the topic of the thread (sort of):  Lake Charles, Lousiana has good restaurants--but not good BBQ.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 11:08:18 pm »

I'm not a big Salt Lick fan, @the_doc, even though I knew the Roberts way back when it was a little local place.  She was a Japanese war bride, hence the unusual slaw and sauce.  Nice people.  But, I prefer my own BBQ.  Salt Lick has become so freakin' trendy and hipster.  Ugh.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 05:59:39 am »
I'm not a big Salt Lick fan, @the_doc, even though I knew the Roberts way back when it was a little local place.  She was a Japanese war bride, hence the unusual slaw and sauce.  Nice people.  But, I prefer my own BBQ.  Salt Lick has become so freakin' trendy and hipster.  Ugh.
I thought it great as it is 30 yrs since I last went there, and my absence of 24 years of having Texas as home likely kicked in some bias on Texas food, making me less discriminating in general.

the only reason I was there anyway is the memorial of one of my best friends was held there.  he loved the place.

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 12:49:10 pm »
Are there any LNG plants in the world thisbig?

The Ras Laffan terminal in Qatar loads out more LNG, but it is fed from several different plants.  This plant won't be a single LNG train so I am not sure what to compare.  Is there any real difference in a plant with several LNG trains compared to individual LNG train plants built beside each other?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 02:22:22 pm »
I thought it great as it is 30 yrs since I last went there, and my absence of 24 years of having Texas as home likely kicked in some bias on Texas food, making me less discriminating in general.

the only reason I was there anyway is the memorial of one of my best friends was held there.  he loved the place.

I grew up very close to there, so I guess I'm just overall upset about the "gentrification" of the area.

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 10:20:31 pm »
The Ras Laffan terminal in Qatar loads out more LNG, but it is fed from several different plants.  This plant won't be a single LNG train so I am not sure what to compare.  Is there any real difference in a plant with several LNG trains compared to individual LNG train plants built beside each other?
I'd say the differentiating item is whether they use the same export terminal.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:25:26 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 10:23:39 pm »
I grew up very close to there, so I guess I'm just overall upset about the "gentrification" of the area.
I gre up along Congress by the Austin theater and used to ride my bike out to Camp Ben McCollough way before there was a Salt Lick.

If you want to see gentrification, go back to what the Wurstfest looked like 50 years ago and compare to now.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:24:26 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 01:01:52 am »
I gre up along Congress by the Austin theater and used to ride my bike out to Camp Ben McCollough way before there was a Salt Lick.

If you want to see gentrification, go back to what the Wurstfest looked like 50 years ago and compare to now.

Camp Ben?  Do you remember the big log across the creek that made a good swimming hole when it was so hot?  And, the Confederate Reunion in June?  You don't remember the Crystal's place down past Camp Ben, do you?  We ran in the same stomping grounds.  @IsailedawayfromFR
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 02:30:25 am by Sanguine »

Offline the_doc

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 02:26:17 am »

I confess that I haven't been to the Salt Lick in 45 years, so I wouldn't know about the gentrification down there in the Driftwood area.  My memories of the area (and of the Salt Lick) are only very good.

BTW, I was very disappointed to see the crowding and amazingly angry, "me first" driving in Austin when I visited there over the holidays.  It's way different from my college days.  My daughter says it has gotten a lot worse with the migration of non-Texans into Austin over the past 10-15 years.  (She blames Silicon Valley and Yankee yuppies who have no respect for the Texas tradition [and the Texas State Motto] of "Friendship.")

Back to gentrification: I am glad to see some really good results of gentrification in East Austin.  I noticed over the holidays that many parts of East Austin are much better now. 888high58888

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 02:29:54 am »
I confess that I haven't been to the Salt Lick in 45 years, so I wouldn't know about the gentrification down there in the Driftwood area.  My memories of the area (and of the Salt Lick) are only very good.

BTW, I was very disappointed to see the crowding and amazingly angry, "me first" driving in Austin when I visited there over the holidays.  It's way different from my college days.  My daughter says it has gotten a lot worse with the migration of non-Texans into Austin over the past 10-15 years.  (She blames Silicon Valley and Yankee yuppies who have no respect for the Texas tradition [and the Texas State Motto] of "Friendship.")

Back to gentrification: I am glad to see some really good results of gentrification in East Austin.  I noticed over the holidays that many parts of East Austin are much better now. 888high58888

You're right, east Austin is being nicely gentrified.  However, those people can barely afford to live in Austin now.  Grrrrr.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 02:43:41 am »
You're right, east Austin is being nicely gentrified.  However, those people can barely afford to live in Austin now.  Grrrrr.

Well, there is that.

(Maybe they should hitchhike to the Bay Area.)

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 03:09:18 am »
Camp Ben?  Do you remember the big log across the creek that made a good swimming hole when it was so hot?  And, the Confederate Reunion in June?  You don't remember the Crystal's place down past Camp Ben, do you?  We ran in the same stomping grounds.  @IsailedawayfromFR
what I recall the most was coiling off the watermelons in the bubbling springs, and the many climbs up the cypress tree to rope swing into the creek.

That was teenage fun.

There was a tame deer there which roamed the park which had a bell around it so no one would shoot it.

Never went to the Confederate Reunion as at the time it interfered with me enjoying the park.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 03:17:09 am »
what I recall the most was coiling off the watermelons in the bubbling springs, and the many climbs up the cypress tree to rope swing into the creek.

That was teenage fun.

There was a tame deer there which roamed the park which had a bell around it so no one would shoot it.

Never went to the Confederate Reunion as at the time it interfered with me enjoying the park.

I think you may be a few years older than me.  I do remember the rope though. 

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 06:04:15 am »
I think you may be a few years older than me.  I do remember the rope though.
I was a Confederate rebel graduating from Travis in '69.

The sixties were undoubtedly the best decade in Austin.  We had 2 separate national championship football teams where the tower blazed orange with a big 1(and Memorial Stadium was open for youngsters to play football all the time on the astroturf, dreaming of being Steve Wooster), the world premier of the movie Batman at The Paramount, the launch of Mr Gattis(and Schlotzsky's on the way), the moonlights were shining(and can be climbed I can attest), and the Stallion and The Nighthawk were still serving great food.  The Vulcan Gas Company came to town as a predecessor  to The Armadillo World HQ and I saw the Beach Boys at Municipal Auditorium and Wrestling at the Coliseum.

Our HS hangout was the Holiday House on Barton Springs Drive and Ben White Blvd was the southern edge of town.

Great memories. @Sanguine
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 06:06:16 am by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 03:38:02 pm »
I was a Confederate rebel graduating from Travis in '69.

The sixties were undoubtedly the best decade in Austin.  We had 2 separate national championship football teams where the tower blazed orange with a big 1(and Memorial Stadium was open for youngsters to play football all the time on the astroturf, dreaming of being Steve Wooster), the world premier of the movie Batman at The Paramount, the launch of Mr Gattis(and Schlotzsky's on the way), the moonlights were shining(and can be climbed I can attest), and the Stallion and The Nighthawk were still serving great food.  The Vulcan Gas Company came to town as a predecessor  to The Armadillo World HQ and I saw the Beach Boys at Municipal Auditorium and Wrestling at the Coliseum.

Our HS hangout was the Holiday House on Barton Springs Drive and Ben White Blvd was the southern edge of town.

Yeah, you've got a few years on me.  And, more urban.  I grew up in a goat-ranching town, and Austin was the big city.  I never went to Armadillo World, but I remember much of the rest.  And...Barton Springs.  That's sort of been the extended family's touchstone over the many years.  "I'm coming into town, meet me at Barton Springs". 

It was as close to paradise as possible back then.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 03:39:02 pm by Sanguine »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 03:46:43 pm »
@thackney

This is a huge score, IMO. Considering the cash outlay companies make to reach this point.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline thackney

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 03:53:30 pm »
@thackney

This is a huge score, IMO. Considering the cash outlay companies make to reach this point.

One this size is going to have years of a lot of construction jobs.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 06:09:36 pm »

I remember most of that, including the correct spelling of Worster.     happy77

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 06:38:12 pm »
I remember most of that, including the correct spelling of Worster.     happy77
You are correct.  I thought about Jim Bertleson but knew I could not spell that one, so tried the fullback.

The only downers I recall during those years (other than the protests by the flower children) was Charles Whitman, the transplanted Yankee Madalyn Murray O'Hair, and the incessant helicopters of LBJ flying overhead from Bergstrom to his ranch in Johnson City.

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 09:05:41 pm »
Yeah, you've got a few years on me.  And, more urban.  I grew up in a goat-ranching town, and Austin was the big city.  I never went to Armadillo World, but I remember much of the rest.  And...Barton Springs.  That's sort of been the extended family's touchstone over the many years.  "I'm coming into town, meet me at Barton Springs". 

It was as close to paradise as possible back then.
way back before the housing boom, we used to go skinny dipping in Barton Creek off the Cliffs upstream of Zilker.

Yeah, I was urban as my dad was a meteorologist at Robert Muellar airport.  That didn’t stop us shooting jackrabbits off the runways at night there, though.

Also shoveled elephant dung to use in our garden following the departure of the Clyde Beatty circus in tents they set up at corner of Oltorf and Congress.  That fertilizer did not suit well with our neighbors.