Author Topic: David Hogg Appearance At Penn State Met With Protestors  (Read 1243 times)

Online mountaineer

David Hogg Appearance At Penn State Met With Protestors
« on: January 22, 2019, 01:19:46 am »
David Hogg Appearance At Penn State Met With Protestors
Posted at 2:00 pm on January 21, 2019 by Tom Knighton

For years now, anyone from the political right has had to worry about protestors when they go to speak at a college or university almost anywhere in the country. Most of the time, it’s not a big deal, but there have been riots and other sorts of nastiness, all because some didn’t like the ideology of the speaker.

Now, it looks like the pro-gun crowd is willing to play a similar, though thankfully more subdued, game.
    In response to an appearance by anti-gun activist and soon-to-be Harvard student David Hogg, pro-Second Amendment students at Penn State University put together a march for their own cause on January 18.

Dubbed “Come and Take It” and organized by the PSU College Republicans’ Aidan Mattis, the march included demonstrators who carried American flags and signs which read “If gun-free zones work, how come 98% of mass shootings happen in gun free zones?” and “Gun rights are women’s rights.”

According to the Daily Collegian, Mattis said he organized the protest “partially [because] of Hogg’s opinions and partially [due to] the Student Programming Association’s absolute refusal to ever bring a conservative to speak.”
More at Bearing Arms
The author, Knighton, also describes how a couple of  pro-Hogg students objected to the Republican meanies, and responds to their poorly reasoned objections.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: David Hogg Appearance At Penn State Met With Protestors
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 07:49:54 am »
Ever since he came out of the closet*, he hasn't shut up. *(supposedly, he was huddled in a closet with other students when the shooting went down). Traumatic? For a kid, yes. But labeling someone who didn't get shot at a 'shooting survivor' for being in the same building is a bit of a stretch. If I'm wrong, I'll eat crow and dine on the bird gracefully, but that school is a pretty large building, and being somewhere else in it doesn't give him any moral high ground in my opinion.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 12:12:42 pm »
Pro-Second Amendment march at Penn State counters appearance by David Hogg
College Fix Staff •January 19, 2019

In response to an appearance by anti-gun activist and soon-to-be Harvard student David Hogg, pro-Second Amendment students at Penn State University put together a march for their own cause on January 18.

Dubbed “Come and Take It” and organized by the PSU College Republicans’ Aidan Mattis, the march included demonstrators who carried American flags and signs which read “If gun-free zones work, how come 98% of mass shootings happen in gun free zones?” and “Gun rights are women’s rights.”

According to the Daily Collegian, Mattis said he organized the protest “partially [because] of Hogg’s opinions and partially [due to] the Student Programming Association’s absolute refusal to ever bring a conservative to speak.”  ...
The College Fix

Still wondering how any college that permits only one point of view is teaching the kiddies to think critically.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 12:25:02 pm »
The College Fix

Still wondering how any college that permits only one point of view is teaching the kiddies to think critically.
Don't be silly. They aren't interested in teaching the kiddies, to think, and all too often, much of anything useful (STEM courses excepted).  They are interested in 1) programming them with the Communist/identity politics and
2) Coming up with more ways to ensure that the Bachelor's degree won't be enough to get a decent job so they can milk the government student loan ad grant programs for a couple more years (per student).

I am thankful that I was in College when I was, where I was, and that I was blessed with a Geology Department full of Professors who had a passion for Geology and who conveyed that to us--along with challenging courses that filled our little brains with something but mush.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 12:28:05 pm »
I agree, Joe, which is why it just kills me that my niece is attending Penn State studying some sort of BS social sciences. If only she had stuck to her plan from a few years ago to become a veterinarian!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 02:06:57 pm »
I agree, Joe, which is why it just kills me that my niece is attending Penn State studying some sort of BS social sciences. If only she had stuck to her plan from a few years ago to become a veterinarian!
If she has a true passion for what she intends to do with her degree, she may be all right.

I am leery of the Social services/sciences, because every person I have met or dealt with in that line of work has been a pathological liar in those dealings. That isn't saying all are, but the field is lousy with Liberals and statists. Any Conservative voice will likely be unwelcome.

If there is something else that she loves, but finds hard, well, the path of least resistance seldom leads to fulfillment.

C S Lewis