Author Topic: Shifting North Magnetic Pole Forces Unprecedented Navigation Fix  (Read 904 times)

Offline thackney

Shifting North Magnetic Pole Forces Unprecedented Navigation Fix
https://gcaptain.com/shifting-north-magnetic-pole-forces-unprecedented-navigation-fix/
January 11, 2019

Rapid shifts in the Earth’s north magnetic pole are forcing researchers to make an unprecedented early update to a model that helps navigation by ships, planes and submarines in the Arctic, scientists said.

Compass needles point towards the north magnetic pole, a point which has crept unpredictably from the coast of northern Canada a century ago to the middle of the Arctic Ocean, moving towards Russia.

“It’s moving at about 50 km (30 miles) a year. It didn’t move much between 1900 and 1980 but it’s really accelerated in the past 40 years,” Ciaran Beggan, of the British Geological Survey in Edinburgh, told Reuters on Friday.

A five-year update of a World Magnetic Model was due in 2020 but the U.S. military requested an unprecedented early review, he said. The BGS runs the model with the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration....

...The wandering pole is driven by unpredictable changes in liquid iron deep inside the Earth. An update will be released on January 30, the journal Nature said, delayed from January 15 because of the U.S. government shutdown....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Shifting North Magnetic Pole Forces Unprecedented Navigation Fix
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 03:04:55 am »
 OMGGGGGGG :reaper:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 02:12:48 pm »
Lets work on ways to fix on our moral compass.   The magnetic one will sort itself out like it has for millions and billions of years.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 02:29:08 pm »
The southern magnetic pole is following suit.

Not that big a deal unless you are a bird or the military.

The problem for everyone else, with a pole shift, depends on what is happening with the sun.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley