Author Topic: Prenatal Exposure to Cannabis Affects the Developing Brain  (Read 617 times)

rangerrebew

Prenatal Exposure to Cannabis Affects the Developing Brain
« on: January 21, 2019, 04:58:01 pm »
Prenatal Exposure to Cannabis Affects the Developing Brain

Children born to moms who smoked or ingested marijuana during pregnancy suffer higher rates of depression, hyperactivity, and inattention.
Jan 1, 2019
Andrew Scheyer

We live in a medicated era. Recent data indicate that more than half of Americans are currently taking prescription drugs. Among pregnant women this number skyrockets to more than 80 percent. One of these women was a 24-year-old from California named Carol, whom I met and befriended through an online drug research forum. After weeks of debilitating morning sickness, persistent pain in her back and hips, and chronic anxiety about becoming a mother, Carol was taking a tranquilizer called alprazolam as needed, plus daily doses of acetaminophen and an anti-nausea drug called metoclopramide.

Carol felt uneasy using the medications. Like many Americans and an even greater proportion of Europeans, Carol (who asked that I not use her surname) favors home remedies over pharmaceutical treatments. “I’ll always choose a tea over a pill,” she says. And so, as she sought relief during her pregnancy, she turned to marijuana.

https://www.the-scientist.com/features/prenatal-exposure-to-cannabis-affects-the-developing-brain-65230